I don´t believe in IQ

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Its a long discussion but what I have very much doubt about is the claim that you can´t train your IQ beyond your teenage years. So please participate in this small test if you want.

Here is a test very close to that used to measure IQ by psychologist and Mensa.

http://www.iqtest.dk/main.swf

As I understand it you are not able to measure the IQ directly but this test comes close.

lease try to take the test now. Make a mental note of the result, go over the test once more and try to figure out

In some month I´ll present another test that is very close to this one but different and lets see if you get another result.

What I want to know is: Did your IQ go up, down, stay the same? Had you tried this kind of test before within the last, say, three years? And your age.

Please participate. Or do whatever you want with it And I added a small poll because it usual attracts more readers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Juste performed the test and finished to go mad. I did not take the whole time, because I performed it, while some of my patients cancelled their rendez-vous.
  • Reply 2 of 47
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Arh. Come on. Play along
  • Reply 3 of 47
    115+ while drunk.

and I only got to question 36...

34 and up are a bitch...
  • Reply 4 of 47
    cato988cato988 Posts: 307member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

115+ while drunk.

and I only got to question 37...

35 and up are a bitch...

yeah they were... 39 wasnt bad, but 37 took a while. I got 145 which is around the same score that i recived when i took a "real" IQ test (giving by a professional to me)

Highschool is getting old...I cant wait to get out:-(
  • Reply 5 of 47
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Ahh, a cat made me quit at question 27 and had like 25 minutes left.

Now if only they had a patience test...
  • Reply 6 of 47

Now, I've heard that the actual "IQ" test takes a person's age into consideration...as a divisor of some sort. Meaning that if your "knowledge" remains the same, your IQ will actually DECREASE as you age. (Or you could say that to maintain one's IQ level, you need to constantly learn new things.)
  • Reply 7 of 47
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

Now, I've heard that the actual "IQ" test takes a person's age into consideration...as a divisor of some sort. Meaning that if your "knowledge" remains the same, your IQ will actually DECREASE as you age. (Or you could say that to maintain one's IQ level, you need to constantly learn new things.)

It's true for kids only.

Luckily otherwise, I would become more and more idiot
  • Reply 8 of 47

Funny thing was I got real stuck on one of the very early ones. I hate it when they are really obvious and you just don't see it. I think I only made it up to 34 or so.

Based on our poll, it looks like we have one strange bell curve around here.
  • Reply 9 of 47
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    The Mensa (and other organization) type tests are skewed in the results.. they give you a higher points rating.

If it is high people feel good and sign up to join :-)

ha
  • Reply 10 of 47
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    No. (Most) online test do screw the result. The Mensa ones are usually very adjusted, even to different countries. That they have some strange belief that tells them the environment doesn´t affect your ability to solve their tests are another subject.
  • Reply 11 of 47
    rara Posts: 623member
    118 with the tv on, 126 fully focused.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

No. (Most) online test do screw the result. The Mensa ones are usually very adjusted, even to different countries. That they have some strange belief that tells them the environment doesn´t affect your ability to solve their tests are another subject.

Who believes that the environment doesn't affect your test scores?
  • Reply 13 of 47
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    122. i was pretty clueless at 32+
  • Reply 14 of 47
    Quote:

You are not rewarded for finishing before time is up - so take your time! Wrong answers do not influence your result - so guess rather than omit a question!

So how does it score?
  • Reply 15 of 47
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
  • Reply 16 of 47
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mouseion

So how does it score?

On correct answers only. Some tests actively penalize you for incorrect answers instead of just not giving you the points(though I don't if any IQ test that do so). The idea being that if you left it blank, you didn't know, but if you answered incorrectly you actually reasoned or calculated wrong.

There was a prof in university that scored tests like that. On mulitple choice tests, you could answer most of the question right and still end up with a fail if you answered enough wrong instead of leaving them blank. Luckily, I never had him.
  • Reply 17 of 47
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Can we just do these instead? after a childhood of taking IQ tests and doing stupid logic puzzles where it always seemed that Bill lived in the red house next to the girl who was taller than Sally, I have an aversion to these kinds of tests.
  • Reply 18 of 47
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    ouch. 107. am i banned from appleInsider now? i kinda gave up after question 20something, i was like, f*** this bollocks. speaking of bollocks is it just me or does the tiled background of the iq test page look like something really rude/sexual??
  • Reply 19 of 47
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tulkas

On correct answers only. Some tests actively penalize you for incorrect answers instead of just not giving you the points(though I don't if any IQ test that do so). The idea being that if you left it blank, you didn't know, but if you answered incorrectly you actually reasoned or calculated wrong.

There was a prof in university that scored tests like that. On mulitple choice tests, you could answer most of the question right and still end up with a fail if you answered enough wrong instead of leaving them blank. Luckily, I never had him.

Whaa? It makes a *lot* more sense to penalize for wrong answers! If you don't, that just adds a random "lottery" part to the end of the test, where at ~1 minute before end of test you fill a random answer to every question you haven't answered yet.

I have done an unofficial math/logic IQ test maybe twice, and have been officially tested once at school. Got a 141 in that test. I'd love to practice some (practice definitely gives you a better score in these tests) and see how far I can up the score, just as a fun "project". I think this fact you can better your scores makes Mensa an unnatural, contrived, pompous organization.

I'll do this one later, haven't got 40 minutes now.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    98 completed in 6 minutes.