Apple's Front Row media experience coming to iBook line

Comments

• Reply 21 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Yeah...colors. But that's about all I really see happening.

Maybe they'll go back to beige. They were actually the first to do that.

They have done beige, black, white, silver, multi-colored, patterns.

I'm actually about 1/2-serious. Beige may just make a come back. Style is so cyclical.

Personally I'd love to see adonized aluminum colors (a la iPod mini only different, more manly colors)

Yes, some manly colours. I would like to see black return. Also, I would like to see a deep navy blue, or a deep grey in a Mac.

There must be a black Mac coming along some time here.
  • Reply 22 of 126

...... more manly colors.....

look, we all know you got the pink ipod mini okay...
  • Reply 23 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

well when exactly are the new intel iBooks coming out then? anytime before end of march? spring sounds mighty far away... okay, okay, it's just a few months away i guess..... and a lot of indications point towards the april-june quarter??

I was hoping that the 13"(iBook bordering on PowerBook) would come out in January. But it is better for Apple that a PowerBook replacement came out.
  • Reply 24 of 126
    Quote:

...... more manly colors.....

look, we all know you got the pink ipod mini okay...

Lime green actually.
  • Reply 25 of 126
    Just look at how easily the black iPods scratch. Now imagine how ugly a Black iBook would look when it's scratched!
  • Reply 26 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by dansgil

Just look at how easily the black iPods scratch. Now imagine how ugly a Black iBook would look when it's scratched!

Yeah, I think that is exactly right. A lot of people throw their iBooks around because that plastic is so durable, but as soon as it starts looking like the black Nanos look, say goodbye black iBook. Had it not been for all teh Nano complaints, I'm sure they would do it.
  • Reply 27 of 126
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Ah. Apparently it's time for my semi-annual rant about how Apple should and must offer laptops with a durable, slightly textured, matte black finish.

(Ahem) Apple should and must offer laptops with a durable, slightly textured, matte black finish.

I thinking here about something like what is on equipment racks and the like. Just a nice, deep, velvety black that never shows fingerprints or smudging, robust enough to get knocked around without scratching.

There is nothing in the world that says "purposeful badass" like a durable, slightly textured, matte black finish.

Thank you.
  • Reply 28 of 126
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegreatluke

And I don't get why people say Macs are so much more expensive ...

They probably came to that conclusion after comparing prices and features.

Quote:

It's just that Apple doesn't tarnish its good name with bargain-basement crappy $300 computers that have hardware failures after three months.

No, but they often like to sell premium-priced computers that melt down (iMac G5), or have malfunctioning audio (PBG4).

Quote:

A PC equivalent of iLife would cost thousands of dollars.

Are you high?
  • Reply 29 of 126
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Ah. Apparently it's time for my semi-annual rant about how Apple should and must offer laptops with a durable, slightly textured, matte black finish.

(Ahem) Apple should and must offer laptops with a durable, slightly textured, matte black finish.

I thinking here about something like what is on equipment racks and the like. Just a nice, deep, velvety black that never shows fingerprints or smudging, robust enough to get knocked around without scratching.

There is nothing in the world that says "purposeful badass" like a durable, slightly textured, matte black finish.

Thank you.

this is an excellent and totally justified rant which means we can forget about apple ever doing it.

i always bring up the iPod mini: they got it right!! it is super scratch resistant, including the screen. over-engineered, actually, when talking specifically about the casing and screen. super durable. great weight and feel in your hands. the battery though, is a subject for a separate rant somewhere else in these forums

edit: of course i am not suggesting iPod mini material for a laptop, unless you like carrying a brick around all day.
  • Reply 30 of 126
    Quote:

........ A PC equivalent of iLife would cost thousands of dollars.

Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

....Are you high?

Actually, a PC equivalent of iLife, does not exist. Let's admit it. Picasa, Nero, Vegas, whatever. It's just different to what iLife is. Apples and Oranges. You can spend $5 or $5000 dollars, iLife for Mac is iLife for Mac, there is no "PC equivalent" software.
  • Reply 31 of 126
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Quote:

Actually, a PC equivalent of iLife, does not exist. Let's admit it. Picasa, Nero, Vegas, whatever. It's just different to what iLife is. Apples and Oranges. You can spend $5 or $5000 dollars, iLife for Mac is iLife for Mac, there is no "PC equivalent" software.

iPhoto = Picasa 2 (Google)

iMovie = Not worth it, get Final Cut you cheap bastards. No equivelent of FINAL CUT in PC world though.

Garageband = No equivelant in PC world

iDVD = VLC, Windows Media Player, RealOne, PowerDVD

iWeb = Macromedia Suite - you think apple's web designers seriously use iWeb? Get real.

3/5 isn't too bad, is it now?
  • Reply 32 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyriX

iPhoto = Picasa 2 (Google)

iMovie = Not worth it, get Final Cut you cheap bastards. No equivelent of FINAL CUT in PC world though.

Garageband = No equivelant in PC world

iDVD = VLC, Windows Media Player, RealOne, PowerDVD

iWeb = Macromedia Suite - you think apple's web designers seriously use iWeb? Get real.

3/5 isn't too bad, is it now?

heh. 2/5? iDVD helps you make dvds from your home videos. maybe you confused iDVD with DVDPlayer? because how does VLC+WindowsMediaPlayer+RealOne+PowerDVD help you burn DVD-videos?
  • Reply 33 of 126
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    it would be a marketing brain fart if apple does not release a black ibook. i'm pissed off they ddint' atleast darken the macbook pro line.

what are they thinking? come on
  • Reply 34 of 126
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Thank you.

Go buy a Powerbook G3 and you'll find just what you're looking for.
  • Reply 35 of 126
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Quote:

heh. 2/5? iDVD helps you make dvds from your home videos. maybe you confused iDVD with DVDPlayer? because how does VLC+WindowsMediaPlayer+RealOne+PowerDVD help you burn DVD-videos?

My bad, ur correction stands. DVD-RIP, Nero or any half decent video editing system will allow you to do this though.
  • Reply 36 of 126
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kolchak

Go buy a Powerbook G3 and you'll find just what you're looking for.

have one allready and it isn't black

it is very dark brown actually

and allthough it runs tiger it isn't dog slow (but very close)

and it has curves

i love my pismo

gimmy a matte black finished iBook anytime because a G3 isn't what i'm looking for
  • Reply 37 of 126
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    Quote:

Um...

The iBooks include DVD-ROM standard.

And it's likely they'll be updated to SuperDrives for the MacBook.

And I don't get why people say Macs are so much more expensive - they're very similar prices.

It's just that Apple doesn't tarnish its good name with bargain-basement crappy $300 computers that have hardware failures after three months.

Try thinking about iLife, for example - the included software in PC's sucks. A PC equivalent of iLife would cost thousands of dollars.

We're not talking about $300 computers... were talking about $1000 computers.

Here in the UK the iBook is £700, i've never seen a PC Laptop with just a CDRW (no DVD burning) drive for £700.
  • Reply 38 of 126
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

Thank you.

Here here. I'd buy one in a second. I hope they are listening.
  • Reply 39 of 126
    Quote:

Thank you.

Thank you.
  • Reply 40 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

it would be a marketing brain fart if apple does not release a black ibook. i'm pissed off they ddint' atleast darken the macbook pro line.

what are they thinking? come on

yes, i would love my soon to be here macbook pro much more was it a little darker, like on the pr-pictures.