Motorola introduces ultra-thin SLVR L7 iTunes phone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

256MB over bluetooth will take you about 3.7 hours to transfer. Tried that already on my SE P910i. Went out and bought a card reader the day after. ;-)

Apart from that though, you're spot on. The SE phones are faster, have a better interface and better music capabilities. Why anyone would want a Moto phone is beyond me.

There's also a utility program to integrate the SE Walkman phones directly into iTunes.

1 million percent agree.

Also I know this phone was anounced and everything but for some reason I'm surprised to see it.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    This is about as much as we are going to see of the specs for now. The USB question is still there. It just says "built-in mini-USB connector".

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=683

By the way, this is the best site for phone news.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    I think the phone looks really sweet, just wish I could have more than 100 songs on it. I personally like the bar phones vs. a flip phone, and it is kinda neat how the SLVR resembles the nano a bit. I would definitely pick up the SLVR L7 the next time I need a phone except for the fact that I use verizon and verizon never gets any half decent phones. I mean it took verizon forever to finally start offering the Razor. I suppose I need to switch to cingular when my plan is up so I can get a decent phone even though I don't care for their service. I also wish that I could just get a phone when I want a new phone and not every 2 years when my plan is up.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

This is about as much as we are going to see of the specs for now. The USB question is still there. It just says "built-in mini-USB connector".

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=683

By the way, this is the best site for phone news.

Apple's iSync program doesn't sync over USB usually. And if it's USB 1.1 it's still too slow to use practically. Card readers rule.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Quote:

Apple's iSync program doesn't sync over USB usually. And if it's USB 1.1 it's still too slow to use practically. Card readers rule.

I've never used iSync as I've had Palm phones, and so use the Palm Desktop, with Markshare's Palm Sync.

I've never had a problem with that. I don't need Apple's programs for my information.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Quote:

I've never used iSync as I've had Palm phones, and so use the Palm Desktop, with Markshare's Palm Sync.

I've never had a problem with that. I don't need Apple's programs for my information.

You do if you're using a Motorola phone as in the topic at hand. iSync prefers Bluetooth if available. I've both Bluetooth and a USB SyncStation with my p910 and iSync completely ignores the USB connection.

You can use iSync with Palm phones and PDAs too via USB. You don't need to buy anything.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Quote:

You do if you're using a Motorola phone as in the topic at hand. iSync prefers Bluetooth if available. I've both Bluetooth and a USB SyncStation with my p910 and iSync completely ignores the USB connection.

You can use iSync with Palm phones and PDAs too via USB. You don't need to buy anything.

I bought the product from them because my original Samsung i300 wouldn't sync with any product, either Palm's, or Apple's. Many products still don't do that. That's why their products (Markspace) are so popular. It's possible that they have software that will let you sync through USB as well.

Truth is, Bluetooth is pretty bad for this, as you say. Blurtooth 2 is much better, but few products, as yet, impliment it. USB isn't bad, but I have a fair amount of stuff on my phone, and it still takes several minutes.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    Quote:

I bought the product from them because my original Samsung i300 wouldn't sync with any product, either Palm's, or Apple's. Many products still don't do that.

There's certainly gaps in the models covered by iSync but as long as you stick to the most common phone OS - Symbian - then you're covered or those companies that actively work with Apple like SE did with the T610, you get flawless syncing.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Quote:

There's certainly gaps in the models covered by iSync but as long as you stick to the most common phone OS - Symbian - then you're covered or those companies that actively work with Apple like SE did with the T610, you get flawless syncing.

That's true. But even the most popular models are still only a minority of the units out there. That's why Apple supplies a list of compatible models. A list which isn't always all that accurate.

But, some of the best phones, and PDA's, have never worked directly.

The idea of having to stick with just the models that do, is very un-Apple-like.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:

That's true. But even the most popular models are still only a minority of the units out there. That's why Apple supplies a list of compatible models. A list which isn't always all that accurate.

But, some of the best phones, and PDA's, have never worked directly.

The idea of having to stick with just the models that do, is very un-Apple-like.

I think that's because some of the 'best' phones don't support bluetooth or SyncML fully. Many rely on proprietary drivers on Windows for syncing instead of implementing industry standard protocols.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    Quote:

I think that's because some of the 'best' phones don't support bluetooth or SyncML fully. Many rely on proprietary drivers on Windows for syncing instead of implementing industry standard protocols.

It's not the manufactures. It's the phone companies. They are the ones that limit the functionality of USB and Bluetooth services.

An example is Verison just now deciding that they will allow phones to be used as modems for laptops. even though the functionallity was built-in. Other phone companies have to get on the ball there as well.

A question I have is whether we will be able to use Palm devices on the new iMacs and MacBook Pro's (and others later) to sync and pass data over the slow, but well established, IR link we've been using for so many years.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Quote:

It's not the manufactures. It's the phone companies. They are the ones that limit the functionality of USB and Bluetooth services.

That's only true in the USA. It doesn't happen in Europe. But then we also tend not to buy motorolas and samsungs either.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    well realize this if the iTunes phones could hold more than 100 songs why would people buy a shuffle or nano. so DUH from a bussiness stand point there doing a very smart thing. if u want itunes and more than 100 songs go buy an iPod. thats how companys make there money buy selling the products to the right demographic.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    I don't get the 100 song issue. The most songs the card can hold is about 120. Big deal!

If you need more than 100 songs, 120 isn't going to make much of a difference.

You will have to get another card anyway. Just have a different platlist, with more songs.

It's also possible that these phones will take a 1GB card. It might be possible to format them as more than one card, but that is just a guess.