Apple says farewell to the 17-inch PowerPC iMac G5

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Two separate seeds of Mac OS X 10.4.5

It appears that Apple is now distributing to developers both Intel- and PowerPC-native versions of its upcoming Mac OS X 10.4.5 Update.

Last week it was reported around the Web that the company had released Mac OS X 10.4.5 build 8H5 to its Apple Developer Connection members and other developers. This week a new seeds of Mac OS X 10.4.5 surfaced, labeled Mac OS X 10.4.5 build 8G1443. It appears that builds in the 8Hx milestone are PowerPC-native and those in the 8Gx milestone are Intel-native.

The Intel-native version focuses on the same system components as the PowerPC version, with the addition of Spotlight, Mail, QuickTime, Dashboard and Keychain, tipsters have said. An emphasis is also being placed on the Rosetta emulation environment and application performance.

The most recent known builds of Mac OS X 10.4.5 are Mac OS X 10.4.5 build 8H12 (PowerPC) and Mac OS X build 8G1445 (Intel).

Apple continues to gobble up office space

Apple has signed a deal for an entire 116,830-square-foot building at 10400-10450 Ridgeview Court in Cupertino, Calif. Approximately 56,315 square feet were leased directly from the landlord, while the remaining 60,515 square feet are being subleased from IBM, according to CoStar National.

The $1B iPod accessory market

The New York Times today published a interesting write-up on the "iPod Ecosystem." Of interest, the report points out that iPod accessories are now a $1B a year business. "Consider this. Last year, Apple sold 32 million iPods, or one every second. But for every $3 spent on an iPod, at least $1 is spent on an accessory, estimates Steve Baker, an analyst for the NPD Group, a research firm. That works out to three or four additional purchases per iPod," The Times wrote.

Farewell 17-inch PowerPC iMac

As expected, Apple's online store as of Friday no longer lists the 17-inch 1.9GHz iMac G5 for sale.

Last week it was reported that Apple had officially discontinued the model in the United States and retained only limited inventory (which has since been exhausted). This week, the company also slashed the price of the 20-inch 2.1GHz iMac G5 by $200. Supplies of this model are also dwindling.

Shoppers looking for either model can still turn to Amazon.com, which is offering its customers $125 back on the 17-inch model ($1174.99) and $150 off the 20-inch ($1349.99)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    disappeared from singapore site too...
  • Reply 2 of 16
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    iMac G5 iSight (Oct '05 - Feb '06) - R.I.P.

The shortest lived Mac revision ever?
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by ascii

Yep, it does seem that people who bought the iSight iMac got IIvxed. \
  • Reply 4 of 16
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Yeah. WTF. 3 months and BAM! obsolete. But of course, an iMac 17" g5 bought anytime in these 3 months would be well and good for 2 years. Fun, productive, enjoyable, fast enough. Except for the latest games.

Somehow I think we're going to start to see exclusively Intel-optimised software in 2007. This saddens me, although I may be taking it too harshly \

Wow. This new Apple scares the hell out of me. What Steve says, goes. F*** anyone else.

Apple Australia has now wiped off the iMac g5 17" too.

However, still shown as available on 3rd party authorized resellers.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    (Regarding the $1Billion iPod economy)

I think this doesn't take into account the additional revenue streams being created by the downloadable videos phenomena... How many other businesses offer for-pay iPod compatible videos, anyway? Is there some kind of blog/list regarding this?
  • Reply 6 of 16
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    This transition is happening very fast. By the time OS 10.5 comes out, the entire lineup will be Intel-based. So, I wonder whether there will be a PowerPC version of 10.5 or not? I would hope so, but you never know. They are pushing the transition pretty hard.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    i shed a tear cause i got it after chirstmas and i was so happy and still am. but it sucks cause a good product goon. apple has to real prove they are pulling something good out of there ass. cause this mac is sweet. and damn it would been nicer to have the 20". but the 17 is great, even with hd shows. damn intel, intel needs to really prove them selves.

R.I.P. 17" imac g5 isight. i have your brother and will be taken care for the next few years.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I would love to get my paws on the 20" G5, a nifty machine that would hold me over until a good fraction of the pro Mac software gets a port.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    rise above: obviously these forums have no limit on the smilies you can use

my parents (and i occassionally) are using an iBook g4 933mhz. 640mb ram. guess what, does everything we need it to, and is the workhorse for my parents' computing needs. 10.4.4 is snappy enough, dad can watch 24 and battlestar.galactica xvids just fine through iTunes. iChat with my brother in london works decently. the iBook is at the start of it's 3rd year.

i guess a good mac is like an old friend - always there, always helpful. may not be super-cool like the drinking buddies you just met a few months ago, but your old friend is reliable and dependable.

anyway technology changes so fast nowadays, we as smart users need to shift our focus from "latest and greatest" (although that is what sells computers)
  • Reply 10 of 16
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Don't remind me...I had a IIvx.

Man those things were ugly.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

So, I wonder whether there will be a PowerPC version of 10.5 or not? I would hope so, but you never know. They are pushing the transition pretty hard.

They have no choice but to release 10.5 as a universal (PPC + Intel) OS. Even in one year from now, the installed PowerPC base capable to run 10.5, will still outnumber by a huge margin the newly by then established Intel one. The real question is what about 10.6?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

the remaining 60,515 square feet are being subleased from IBM, according to CoStar National.

[ View this article at AppleInsider.com ]

Hmm...somehow I wouldn't be surprised if this used to house the PowerPC division
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

They have no choice but to release 10.5 as a universal (PPC + Intel) OS. Even in one year from now, the installed PowerPC base capable to run 10.5, will still outnumber by a huge margin the newly by then established Intel one. The real question is what about 10.6?

good call
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkExpensive

Hmm...somehow I wouldn't be surprised if this used to house the PowerPC division

funny but probably true btw, where are the pentium M mac minis ???
  • Reply 15 of 16
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

If it is true that the average use life of a Mac is 6+ years, and that the update cycle remains +0.1 every 18 months, then unless there is a massive upshift in market share, easily more than half the Macs in use would still be PPC by the time 10.6 is introduced. I think a smart business person would still support PPC if enough people bother upgrading their software on their existing Macs. I would expect that support from pro software would drop off more quickly than that of OS or consumer/general use software, due to ever-rising demands in the field, but I would think that pro apps on PPC should still be supported three years from now.

I would expect that the decision gets fuzzier for 10.7, that would be about Dec 2009, even the late 2005 Macs might seem dated to most owners anyway and probably on "coast until something breaks" mode.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    I'm mighty tempted to get one of those 20" iMac G5's with built in iSight running at 2.1GHz. These things will definitely blow the socks off anything Intel makes until CS2 is universal, and won't be "obsolete" for years. The price is good, especially with the educational discount (?1250 + taxes at the Irish edu store).