Apple continues to repair iPod nano screens free-of-charge

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Computer, which last year said inexplicable cracks in the displays of its iPod nano digital music players were an isolated issue, continues this year to repair such damages free-of-charge and has instructed its partners to do the same.

In a message last week to its service providers in the United States, Europe, Latin America, and Asia-Pacific, the company said any customer reporting that their iPod nano's screen had cracked should have their repairs processed as "covered repairs."

"The AppleCare Repair Center will also be processing such repairs as covered repairs," the company added. This means iPod nano owners with cracked displays should be able to contact AppleCare via telephone to arrange for their players to be serviced under warranty.

In October, Apple responded to customer complaints about inexplicable cracks in the iPod nano's display, saying the issue was an isolated one.

"This is a real but minor issue involving a vendor quality problem in a small number of units," the company said. "Our figures show this issue has affected less than 1/10 of 1 per cent of the total iPod nano units that we've shipped. It is not a design issue."

It's unclear if Apple's decision to continue replacing cracked iPod nano screens stems purely from the initial vendor quality problem or if it is a result of an ongoing issue with the screens. However, Apple's recent note to service providers appears to imply the latter.

Meanwhile, Apple's fifth-generation video iPods appear to be far less problematic. Following the release of the player in October, AppleInsider reported that Apple began capturing for evaluation any fifth-generation iPods that experience hardware failure, including issues excluded from the company's warranty terms. Users with problematic players received replacements with no questions asked.

Since that time, no major problems have surfaced and on January 13th, Apple officially discontinued the fifth-generation iPod evaluation program. The company will now replace only those fifth-generation iPods with issues pursuant to warranty eligibility.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Since Apple knows some nanos were defective from the factory with regards to cracks (not scratches, just to be clear ) then they certainly SHOULD be covering that under warranty.

But while we're at it... did we ever find out if Apple was lying about using the same material on the nano surface as on every other iPod?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,515member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0

What the hell?

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/tsc.ht...wDKhQ7ESQ3CQ5B

What's the problem with the page? I'm a member.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

What's the problem with the page? I'm a member.

It was an article on the New York Times technology section, claiming Apple hasn't been repairing users' broken iPods (and computers, I think).

That's why I posted it in this thread about Apple repairing the nanos.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

It was an article on the New York Times technology section, claiming Apple hasn't been repairing users' broken iPods (and computers, I think).

That's why I posted it in this thread about Apple repairing the nanos.

I don't remember seeing that article. When did it come out?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    It's a new article, I got it from an RSS feed in Safari. The RSS was "The New York Times - Technology". apparently from the New York Times website.

It's on this page: http://tech.nytimes.com/pages/technology/index.html .

It's called "Good Luck with That Broken iPod". by Joe Nocera.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

It's a new article, I got it from an RSS feed in Safari. The RSS was "The New York Times - Technology". apparently from the New York Times website.

It's on this page: http://tech.nytimes.com/pages/technology/index.html .

It's called "Good Luck with That Broken iPod". by Joe Nocera.

Yeah, I read that thing already. Mostly bullshit.

I went in with a friends daughter a couple of months ago to get a 3rd gen iPod repaired. We went to the SoHo store here in NYC.

She had it replaced once under warrantee, after she dropped it onto a concrete pavement. Now, it was out of warrantee (they bought the extended care package). They replaced it anyway?for free.

These small devices break because people do nasty things to them. That's why laptops break often.

I've had two other friends over the past two or three years get iPods repaired. Neither was charged more than half the cost of a new one, when out of warrantee.

That's about the going price for fixing small expensive devices such as this. Very often, Apple will just replace it. If you have an inscription on the back, they will replace the back for you.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

[BI went in with a friends daughter a couple of months ago to get a 3rd gen iPod repaired. We went to the SoHo store here in NYC.

She had it replaced once under warrantee, after she dropped it onto a concrete pavement. Now, it was out of warrantee (they bought the extended care package). They replaced it anyway for free.

I've had two other friends over the past two or three years get iPods repaired. Neither was charged more than half the cost of a new one, when out of warrantee.

That's about the going price for fixing small expensive devices such as this. Very often, Apple will just replace it. If you have an inscription on the back, they will replace the back for you. [/B]

Cool.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    You can always get your iPod screen replaced for the lowest price around at http://NYCiPodDoctor.com.

We really offer just about the lowest prices for repairs and have an excellent customer reputation.

Check us out!
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NYCiPodDoctor View Post

You can always get your iPod screen replaced for the lowest price around at http://NYCiPodDoctor.com.

We really offer just about the lowest prices for repairs and have an excellent customer reputation.

Check us out!

I'm not sure you're supposed to be soliciting business here.