Lack of "good news" sends Apple shares tumbling

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Shares of Apple Computer Inc. on Monday fell to their lowest levels in more than two months, on concern that there is not likely to be much good news surrounding the stock for some time, MarketWatch reports.

Shares of Apple fell $4.15, or almost 6 percent, to $67.80 by mid-afternoon. The stock is down 22 percent since reaching a year-to-date high of $86.40 on Jan. 12. It's the first time that the company's shares have been below $70 since trading at $68.81 on Dec. 1.

Unlike recent investor concerns about competition in the music space from heavyweights Google and Microsoft, the latest Apple share declines appear to be a result of increasing skepticism about the the iPod maker's ability to sustain its impressive growth figures.

"Sales of more than 14 million iPods in Apple's last quarter, along with $565 million in profit and $5.75 billion in revenue, has added fuel to beliefs about just how long Apple can sustain such growth on a year-over-year basis, according to Robert Bacarella, manager of the Monetta Select Technology Fund," MarketWatch reported.

Barcarella said there is a sense in the market that "all the good news is out. The easy money has been made." However, he also said that there is little to suggest it is necessary to sell Apple shares.

"My gut feeling is that people are taking some [profits] off the books," Barcarella explained. "They feel the stock looks tired and want to get some payoff from it. If there was any real bad news, [the stock] would have broken down before now."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    "The sky is falling!, the sky is falling!"
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eduardo

"The sky is falling!, the sky is falling!"

Sounds like a good time to buy then.....
  • Reply 3 of 30
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thereubster

Sounds like a good time to buy then.....

"I hear 'ya brother!"

• Reply 4 of 30
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    * Short-term investors know they are essentially gambling. They take their chances.

* Long-term investors have nothing to fear from these inevitable fluctuations.

* A lack of specific "good news" right at this moment is very short-sighted: Apple's long-term prospects are excellent in numerous areas.

* Apple is doing great in the market, has massive profits and cash store, no debt, no directly comparable competition, and big plans for the future (both public and secret) well in hand. These periodic stock drops don't threaten the company at all.

* So as Mac USERS, this doesn't mean much to us.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    51505150 Posts: 6member
    I can't believe MarketWatch used this guy as a reference. It states that the fund he manages a $2 million fund and that Apple comprises 0.5% of his holdings, down from a mere 1.5%. So the guy who indirectly controls $10,000 in stock is suddenly an expert. Give me a break.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    I await the release of the Apple's new Intel PowerMacs, Mac Minis, and iBooks. All of which will be hugely important to the move to Intel. Apple probably doesn't have a lot of exciting things in regards to iPods but that doesn't mean they don't have anythin for us in the future. I think its time they use their recent PR and stock success to leverage their computers. Theres gonna be a lot of software that will be releasing to Intel Macs.

Now what also is probably gonna come out soon is reviews of the Mac Books. Powerbooks traditionally have been Apple's strong selling computer. I know more people with Powerbooks then any other kind of Apple computer. The iMacs have been changing that recently but I think thats just because they have been updated the most often. If the Mac Book Pros get good reviews that should strengthen the stock again.

Besides the macs though the iPods could still have something coming. An update to the Shuffles is more then likely and that is the favorite among the baby boomers it seems. I honestly think people under value the shuffles. Given their price they seem like something Apple has almost neglected since their intial release and an update for them is long overdue and should help the stock as well as any mac updates.

The problem with stocks is that people base their opinions off feelings not logic. Day traders get bored and decide they want to sell or buy based on nothing. Apple has to once again overcome this by releasing just a couple more cool things and it will hopefully start moving the stock back up again.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA H!

• Reply 8 of 30
    Awesome. Just bought 100 shares.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    I'm waiting for April Fool's Day, I'm sure there will be a big announcement then. Steve said "I don't know what we are gonna do then, but I thought I'd mention it because I may not see many of you before then." I think he is holding everything back for a MAJOR event. Less than 2 months to go... I have a feeling that this is going to be "1984"esque.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Hm... it does sound like an excellent time to buy to me!

What about that prediction from this analyst firm that the AAPL stock would go up to over $100 per share?

Did it ever come close to that?? I was really wondering how this would work out, but oh well....

I seriously think i'm gonna buy now and wait till the next big thing to sell... this could pay off!
  • Reply 11 of 30
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    gotta love the stock market. one guy says one thing, and thousands of investors lose money. of course, it's all fake money anyway until shares are actually transacted, which makes it all the more bizarro.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    APPLE IS DOOMED!!!!!!

• Reply 13 of 30
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Seriously,

"Stocks go up and down, and things may be different tomorrow, but I thought it was worth a moment of reflection today. Steve."

Couldn't have said it better myself!
  • Reply 14 of 30
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    i think its time for me to buy as well.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    time for iPod Phone ... bring it on APPLE!

there are so many producst in the piplline, it is a short time stumple
  • Reply 16 of 30
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    I think Wall St is just beginning to recognize that there really isn't going to be much good news this quarter. The Intel Mac sales and maybe iTMS sales (songs hitting 1 billion, video still accelerating) will be the bright spots. Even a new iPod shuffle or 1GB iPod nano will not be stock-boosting news.

Still, I think it's better to be long in Apple stock before the special event near April 1st. That said, entering the home and the video markets will be much more difficult battle than the portable and mp3 market where there was nobody defending the space and Apple was a surprise. Creative? iRiver? Rio? Archos? All nobodies.

But in the home and video - the cable companies are already entrenched with the phone/satellite companies on the move; they are wary of Apple now having seen Apple's modus operandi; and an Apple revolution in video doesn't seem as major as the one in audio. Big broadcast/cable networks, retailers (like Amazon), and Internet portals (like Yahoo, myspace, etc) are all gearing up to get a piece of any video revolution.

Compared to the others, Apple has the iPod/iTMS advantage, UI and design smarts in a hardware device, brand name/retail stores, and Steve Jobs. But will that be enough?
  • Reply 17 of 30
    The man is an idiot.

Stock market analysts are so wrong so often that I am surprised that anyone would pay them for useless opinions.

The iPod is just getting warmed up! You might be surprised to know that I, a longtime Mac user, waited until the fourth generation to buy into the iPod thing. Now, I cannot imagine working without it. Instead of being forced to listen to the Clear Channel drivel all day, I listen to a variety of podcasts. The ways in which people are using iPods is expanding and I believe the phenomenon is snowballing.

The Intel-based Mac switch is occurring about six months ahead of schedule and I'll bet you're going to see brisk sales of PowerMac G5's after the announcement of their Intel-based successors since Adobe is pathetically behind on their upgrade of Photoshop.

No, Mr. Barca-Lounger, you are wrong about Apple and I'd like to think it's because you are just plain stupid. I fear you have a motive to try to manipulate the price for personal gain and, if the SEC were a credible regulatory agency, you'd be jailed for your crime.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    jaffijaffi Posts: 14member
    Still holding 1000 (add the 2005 split) 2003 shares biotches. I actually bought them as my very first stock, EVER. I didn't even have a Mac then. Man, am I glad my cousin is a "strange thinking" broker. But, I almost sold them about 20 times, but my cousin keeps telling me to hold. So, I did. Man, am I glad for that. This is nothing more than post-holiday slump. Happens to everybody. Add the Intel thing. It will come around and probably go much higher in the next year or 2. I am not too worried. But, my Sirius stock is really pissing me off right now. I seriously (haha) thought that Howard would push it for me.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Maybe new iPod 1GB nano and iPod shuffle price drop helps to situation?

http://www.apple.com/ipod/
  • Reply 20 of 30