SHOWTIME cable hits now on iTunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
CBS Corporation?s Showtime Networks and Apple today announced that premium cable programming from SHOWTIME, including recent Golden Globe nominees "Sleeper Cell" and "Weeds," is now available on the iTunes Music Store.



With the addition of SHOWTIME hit programming, iTunes now offers more than 50 popular TV shows for $1.99 per episode for viewing on a computer or iPod. The iTunes Music Store is the world?s most popular video download store with more than 12 million videos purchased and downloaded since last October, Apple also announced.



"iTunes allows fans of these hit Showtime programs to purchase and watch them in an innovative way," said Matthew C. Blank, chairman of Showtime Networks. "It is also a tremendous opportunity for non-subscribers to sample Showtime?s programming."



"We?re thrilled to expand the iTunes video catalog with premium content programming from Showtime," said Eddy Cue, Apple?s vice president of iTunes. "With over 12 million videos sold, iTunes provides the best way for consumers to discover, purchase and download video online."



SHOWTIME programming on the iTunes Music Store covers a variety of current and previous-season content. Programs include the first full season of the critically acclaimed Golden Globe nominee, "Sleeper Cell," the complete first season of the groundbreaking "Weeds," starring Golden Globe award-winning actress Mary Louise Parker; and the complete first season of "Fat Actress," starring Kirstie Alley.



Apple's iTunes Music Store, which initially sold only audio tracks, now features a selection of over 3,000 music videos, Pixar and Disney short films, a variety of hit TV shows, and more than two million songs from the major music companies and over 1,000 independent labels.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 12
    Sweet, have wanted to see "weeds' but didn't want to subscribe. No particular reason for interest on my part
  • Reply 2 of 12
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    I think the word "hits" is being kind. Maybe "Showtime shows that don't do as poorly as other showtime shows"
  • Reply 3 of 12
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    now when do we get the late-night Cinemax movies? oh wait, i don't think i'd pay $2 for those.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Apple keep adding all these shows to iTMS. Just one minor problem. They are only available on the iTMS US store. Only Pixar shorts and Pop videos on the other stores. Which kind of sucks and allows other players to get in and sell content in those regions.



    Edited to correct grammar and spelling.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    jlljll Posts: 2,709member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Jootec from Mars

    Which is kind of sucks and allows other players to get in a sell content in those regions.



    I don't think so. The US networks sell the shows to TV stations around the world and they probably make more money that way.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    Still waiting for 6 feet under.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,368member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by RageX

    Still waiting for 6 feet under.



    That's HBO.



    It's strange. CBS is renting shows from its network on its own site, but is selling shows from Showtime on iTunes.



    I hope that this means their network shows will be available shortly.



    Back to HBO. They said, over a month ago, that they wanted to sell shows through iTunes. So, where are they?



    As Apple sells all shows for $1.99, there can't be much to negotiate about.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by melgross



    Back to HBO. They said, over a month ago, that they wanted to sell shows through iTunes. So, where are they?





    Copyright issues...Permittion from the produciton companies that made the shows would be needed as they own the contene, HBO just airs/distributes it.





    HBO does a lot in house, but they probably want to make a real splash, with everything they have, like the NFL films hilight shows, The Sopranos, 6 feet under, Curb your enthusiasum, along with the comedy specials and maybe concerts...and maybe even boxing events.



    The bigger the catalouge the more legal BS is involved.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by AppleInsider

    With the addition of SHOWTIME hit programming, iTunes now offers more than 50 popular TV shows for $1.99 per episode for viewing on a computer or iPod.



    A few things.



    1) They should go to variable pricing, and they should do discounts for seasons. What's the advantage of buying from the iTM(V)S if the seasons are more expensive per episode than DVD collections, you don't get the commentary or bonus features usually/often on DVDs, and the quality is not as good?



    2) What is the resolution of the shows on iTMS? I can't find it on Apple's site. I'm assuming it's not DVD quality. How good/bad does it look when played onto a TV (SD or HD)?



    3) Can the iPod w/ Video even support multiple audio tracks? (I'm pretty sure it doesn't now, but not sure if it can theoretically with an update.)



    4) Variable pricing would open the door for feature-length movie distribution. (No one is going to want to pay the same price for "Kangaroo Jack" as they do for "Lord of the Rings." There's just something wrong with that...)



    5) Really, what is the advantage of buying shows through the iTMS over DVD?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,368member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by a_greer

    Copyright issues...Permittion from the produciton companies that made the shows would be needed as they own the contene, HBO just airs/distributes it.





    HBO does a lot in house, but they probably want to make a real splash, with everything they have, like the NFL films hilight shows, The Sopranos, 6 feet under, Curb your enthusiasum, along with the comedy specials and maybe concerts...and maybe even boxing events.



    The bigger the catalouge the more legal BS is involved.




    They shouldn't have any more problems with production companies than anyone else. I'm sure they thought about this for as long as every other company who has shows already on iTunes.



    If they want to have everything out at once, they still can do it. I think it more a marketing move. They aren't sure WHICH ones to try first.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by melgross

    They shouldn't have any more problems with production companies than anyone else. I'm sure they thought about this for as long as every other company who has shows already on iTunes.



    If they want to have everything out at once, they still can do it. I think it more a marketing move. They aren't sure WHICH ones to try first.




    HBO has ego, they want to be mentioned at an event as the "one more thing" and they dont want to share with anyone else
  • Reply 12 of 12
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,368member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by a_greer

    HBO has ego, they want to be mentioned at an event as the "one more thing" and they dont want to share with anyone else



    While that's possibly true, remember that they were the ones who went public on their desire to be with iTunes and Apple. It was an unprovoked statement.



    That negates, somewhat, any surprise that they could have gained by some "event".
Sign In or Register to comment.