Briefly: MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.4.5, WINE

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple updates MacBook Pro lead times

It appears that Apple will soon begin shipping its first batch of MacBook Pro professional laptops, which, according to estimates provided to customers, should start arriving in the US within the next two weeks.

Overnight, the Mac maker quietly updated lead times on its online store for the MacBook Pro from shipping in "February" to "3-4 weeks." This suggests that Apple is unlikely to meet overall world-wide demand for the laptops within its current quarter, as stated by company executives last month. However, it also implies that that Apple has aligned demand and is currently confident that it can begin shipping new MacBook Pro orders placed today by this time next month.

It was reported last month that Apple is witnessing stellar sales of the MacBook Pro through pre-orders placed through its direct sales business and authorized resellers.

New builds of Mac OS X 10.4.5

According to tipsters and reports already present on the Internet, Apple this week seeded the fourth external build of Mac OS X 10.4.5 for PowerPC Macs. The build, reportedly labeled Mac OS X 10.4.5 8H14, is said to address issues with multi-application audio support. In the distribution of the operating system update offered to Apple Developer Connection members, Apple did not list any known issues.

Apple's precise release plans for Mac OS X 10.4.5 are currently unknown. It's also unclear if the Intel-native version of the update will be the first to package support for the company's forthcoming 13-inch widescreen iBook laptops and updated Mac mini desktops. Both are reportedly slated for a release this spring.

WINE for Intel Macs

MacRumors notes that the X86Project is claiming to have the first version of WINE for Intel Macs complied and running.

The Darwine Project has reportedly been working to port WINE -- a compatibility layer that has allowed x86-based PCs to run Windows applications under Unix/Linux operating systems -- to run on Mac OS X for Intel.

Though compatibility remains limited in these early stages, the software could offer Mac users an alternative to running Windows applications on Intel Macs sometime in the future.

This could be of interest to some users, as sources have told AppleInsider that Apple and Microsoft are in a disagreement about the way Virtual PC should be supported on Intel Macs. Progress on the next version of the Windows emulation environment is said to be moving slowly, with an official release unlikely "for some time."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    The WINE news is great. Isn't this an exciting time when you can't decide whether to use Rosetta with PPC software or (now the possiblity possibly ) WINE with PC software all on a Mac.

What a day we live in and what choices we have to make!!

I am torn between a MacBookPro (obviously will be a great machine in 2007 when software comes around) and 15" G4 Powerbook (may have 1 year left of life in it, maybe 2) purchase that needs InDesign to put together a catalog that has to be out by September.

• Reply 2 of 15
    dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member
    When MS bought VPC I was afraid that at some point there would be a problem with this awesome emulator (Before I get flamed for saying it is awesome, I love the fact I have two MS based programs that I don?t use all the time but still need and does not merit a dedicated win box for this, it is awesome). Now I think MS will eventually kill this for us who use this emulator, and do not have the capitol to run out and buy the latest Intel Mac. And who have to use their PPC box?s for a year or two longer. This is a famous MS move, buy it and kill it.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Having WINE ported to the Mac is great news. At the same time I hope it won't stop companies making an effort to port to the Mac. I say this because Windows offers a different user experience in terms of UI design and in the way things are used. I would consider WINE as a stop-gap solution and not an excuse for companies not porting their software.

If I ever hear a company say 'well why not use WINE to run our software?', as an excsuse for not doiing the work. I will feel like they deserve some sort of bodily damage.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    I agree. For some apps, it'll be great. But I've got a special Windows only VPN client that probably won't work in Wine so I'm hoping VPC comes out sooner than Office.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    I think this means that MS has found that it's VPC emulator may be much better than originally thought and that it will be awesome if they don't kill it from a thousand cuts. Since Rosetta won't be useful for pro apps, VPC would be great to get those apps on new faster Macs. Of course only Apple would benefit from that. Adobe wants you to wait and upgrade for a price! Why didn't Apple buy VPC first?!?!?!?!?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    cmoney: what VPN client is it? Maybe there is an alernative?
  • Reply 7 of 15
    If this isn't an opportunity for VMWare to step up to the plate then I don't know what is.

I do hope VMWare know what a huge market there would be for their product on Mac OS X. If they were to enter the fray then that would be a rather hot poker up Microsoft's collective backsides where VPC is concerned.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    We all remember that MS bought VPC in order for WinNT servers to be run in a VPC box on WinXP machines, because migration to WinXP was not as quick as expected (There probably were other reasons for buying VPC, but I won't go into that).

We also remember it didn't take them much time and effort to port VPC to an intel-native (ie processor emulation-less) version.

Why then will it take so long for a quite similar effort (of which part of the work is already done), namely porting VPC to the intel architecture. They know already how to cut out the processor emulation, and VPC used to be designed to run "any" kind of OS (given the fact that it emulated a PC down to the register level -for I/O interfaces).

p.s. I am not claiming PC emulation is the way to go, because of

- the need to run a WinXP copy

- the extra resources needed for "virtualization"

Neither is dual booting, which still needs extra disk space but, in addition, is a real hassle. Not to mention security issues...

Therefore

- it may just be better to run a thin client (Ã* la Remote Desktop Connection or Citrix's) and to connect to a -yet to develop- PC server farm.

- but the most attractive option seems to be Wine
  • Reply 9 of 15
    The poor guys from Connectix (who were mostly absorbed into Microsoft when it bought the company's flagship product) must be champing at the bit to get VPC kicking ass on Intel Macs. The engineers that did MODE32. RamDoubler, SpeedDoubler, Virtual Game Station, and of course Virtual PC, would be capable of something very impressive.

However, it's probably a sad fact that the engineers are being muzzled by corporate politics.

I wish Connectix still existed. They'd get it right.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    <princess leia>Help us VMWare, you're our only hope</princess leia>
  • Reply 11 of 15
    cough... Somebody explain me why M$ would want VPC to be rubbish on a Intelly Mac? - If it's good more people end up buying Windows for it kerching $$$. What do they care about hardware?

What's there point to kill VPC?

Or is it company policy to introduce as many flaws as possible?
  • Reply 12 of 15
    yes, surely you know that by now?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

<princess leia>Help us VMWare, you're our only hope</princess leia>

Someone put a petition up about VMWare on OS X.

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_pe...d.cgi?vmwarosx

Sign if you're interested.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Originally posted by OfficerDigby

cough... Somebody explain me why M$ would want VPC to be rubbish on a Intelly Mac? ... What's there point to kill VPC? Or is it company policy to introduce as many flaws as possible?

here are possible places to get the answers you seek:

• Reply 15 of 15
    ibuzzibuzz Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OfficerDigby

cough... Somebody explain me why M$ would want VPC to be rubbish on a Intelly Mac? - If it's good more people end up buying Windows for it kerching $$$. What do they care about hardware?

What's there point to kill VPC?

Or is it company policy to introduce as many flaws as possible?

Imagine a computer that can run OSX and Windows side by side with top notch emulation. People are able to compare the two OS's and clearly see which is the better. Woops!

The only thing that keeps MS in it's postition is inertia. Alot of the software out there is PeeCee only.