UBS talks Intel transition at sit-down with Apple execs

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    AFAIK during Apple's transition to OS X Adobe forced the Carbon layer on Apple. Using Carbon Adobe need not writing their apps 90-100% new. If they had to use Cocoa they would have had to write ther code completely new.

But now this Carbon-trick bites Adobe/Apple in their backside, because the transition from Carbon to UB is a lot more hassle than from Cocoa to UB (if I read all the articles correctly).

I believe it really takes Adobe that long to get UB, so that's no sign for disrupt relationship. However Apple software allways being later than Windows software might show some trend.

copland
  • Reply 22 of 29
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    AFAIK doing Adobe in Carbon was also so that the Adobe apps could run in either OS 9 --or-- OS 10, important for the OS 9 to OS 10 transition at the turn of the century remember, before the iPod madness, and when Apple stock was shite.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

AFAIK doing Adobe in Carbon was also so that the Adobe apps could run in either OS 9 --or-- OS 10, important for the OS 9 to OS 10 transition at the turn of the century remember, before the iPod madness, and when Apple stock was shite.

Do I remember, oh yeah! I bought Apple stock at 14 and sold it after the split. Bought me a BMW M3(CASH)! Bless you Mr. Jobs for your greedy creative outlook on life.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    whatever it is ... it will be paintaking slow migration of entire product line to intel

we will see by Jan 2007 what it meant for APPLE to switch to intel

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/news/...?id=3739&cid=4

after reading this i wonder, IBM bit... late
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Originally posted by Relic

Do I remember, oh yeah! I bought Apple stock at 14 and sold it after the split. Bought me a BMW M3(CASH)! Bless you Mr. Jobs for your greedy creative outlook on life.

good on ya. but are you kicking yourself for not holding on to the stock post split or were you not as "greedy" as mr. jobs
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Originally posted by shanmugam

whatever it is ... it will be paintaking slow migration of entire product line to intel

we will see by Jan 2007 what it meant for APPLE to switch to intel

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/news/...?id=3739&cid=4

after reading this i wonder, IBM bit... late

yes. quite a bit late to the party. i've said it once and i'll say it again, FUCK IBM and their bullshit. they had their chance, they blew it with apple. i'm not sorry for IBM, they are still doing well. but enough is enough.

who cares about the Power6? there was supposed to be a Power5 derivative that was supposed to be the next g5/g6 for mac workstations, servers, desktops and laptops.

oh, 65nm? big fucking deal. guess what, we've got a 65nm chip RIGHT NOW in macs, and it ain't made by IBM.

did i scare you shanmugam with my abusive language?
  • Reply 27 of 29
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

good on ya. but are you kicking yourself for not holding on to the stock post split or were you not as "greedy" as mr. jobs

Man, I figured I held on to the stock long enough and besides I really wanted a new car. I have since sold the BMW and now own a Mini Cooper (fuel and parking reasons). It's funny though, Apple wasn't the stock that has given me the highest returns it was actually Transmeta, before the free dive into obscurity they had a nice boost of industry hype as the next big thing when they first came to be. I saw them for what what they were a quick buck.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    boy they did have good rumors back then "Prior to Crusoe release, rumors indicated Transmeta was relying on these benefits to develop a hybrid PowerPC and x86 processor" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmeta

hmm... a low-voltage powerful cpu that can run both PowerPC and x86 instructions? i wonder who would want that? pity that rumor was total rubbish...
  • Reply 29 of 29
    Quote:

tsts