MacBook Pro announcement may pave way for dual-core iBooks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

so?

is it a drop in replacement?

It doesn't have to be. The differences between the pinout of a Celeron and a Core can be worked around in an afternoon's CAD session
  • Reply 22 of 73
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Strange that when G3 in iBook everyone complian abt slow processor, now every one asking to tone down the Specs of the new iBook ...

i wish APPLE compare the products againts the PC world not againt with in its product...

i donot see a problem in Duo in MacBook knowing that merom will be available in June and will be droped in MacBook Pro
  • Reply 23 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

It doesn't have to be. The differences between the pinout of a Celeron and a Core can be worked around in an afternoon's CAD session

still, the dothan-celeron (celeron-m 3x0) doesnt support sse3.

i dont think apple would release a macintel without rosetta and itunes support.

(and i dont think apple will patch rosetta to support sse2)
  • Reply 24 of 73
    ...and as i said earlier, the yonah (core solo) based celeron (celeron-m 4xx) with sse3 support (and more goodies) is not officially released.
  • Reply 25 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by tubgirl

still, the dothan-celeron (celeron-m 3x0) doesnt support sse3.

i dont think apple would release a macintel without rosetta and itunes support.

(and i dont think apple will patch rosetta to support sse2)

Why not? The dev docs mention converting altivec code to sse 2 or 3.
  • Reply 26 of 73
    Quote:

Why not? The dev docs mention converting altivec code to sse 2 or 3.

link?

i guess maxxuss, one of the leading hackers on the x86 project, seem to waste a lot of time trying to emulate sse3 on sse2-only capable cpus if this is a non-issue...
  • Reply 27 of 73
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

The Celeron M was released the same time as the Core.

No it wasn't. A Celeron version of Yonah isn't being released until Q2.
  • Reply 28 of 73
    Entry level laptops on the PC side, sometimes priced up to $2000, typically have integrated graphics. Personally, I think Apple may well put the Core Duo in the iBook (or MacBook, whatever it will be called), and differentiate it in the same way PC manufacturers do: integrated graphics.

That will keep the price down, still deliver a lot of performance, while at the same time also differentiating the product lines.

It's what PC makers have been doing for years, so why not Apple? I think that's the way things are going.

Edit: I wonder, is the MacBook Pro the first computer (laptop or desktop) that Apple has shipped with 1GB of graphics? At least the higher end model.
  • Reply 29 of 73
    ryanhryanh Posts: 116member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

Edit: I wonder, is the MacBook Pro the first computer (laptop or desktop) that Apple has shipped with 1GB of graphics? At least the higher end model.

1GB of graphics? WTF are you talking about?

Also, Apple has never done integrated graphics and I wouldn't expect them to start soon. Using the high end X1600 in the MBP's makes it feasible to put something like an X600 in their consumer notebook. I'm not saying they would do this, but it doesn't make sense to have a powerhouse like the MBP with a top of the line GPU and then a consumer laptop with integrated graphics. I really can't see this happening.
  • Reply 30 of 73
    I don't see why Apple will do anything with core duo processors in the iBook until the 64 bit laptop cpu (merom) is available from Intel for the MacBook Pro, thus leaving a clear space for the yonah 32 bit dual core cpu in the iBook. Nothing else will really have saimilar performance to current iBook configurations, same for the Mac Mini. Myself i am vastly disappointed with Apple for putting a 32 bit dual core cpu in an iMac would prefer a 64 bit processor (Conroe) in there as the G5 was. Frankly the lack of software available for the MacBook/iMac as well as the current chipsets leaves me waiting and upgrading existing PowerPC hardware until ther software I want is available in universal binary form.
  • Reply 31 of 73
    Great insights everyone!

I hope that Apple uses the Dual Core for the MacBook (iBook). A couple of you guys said that Apple might use the dual core for a smaller MacBook Pro. I had heard rumors that they weren't going to make a small Pro notebook. Maybe we will see more choices in the MacBook(ibook) models to suppliment the lack of a small pro notebook.

Someone also said something about aluminum cases for the iBook replacements. Probably not going to happen. The white iBook can be spotted a mile away. People are familiar with it, and so I don't think that they will do away with the white housing. I also doubt that they will build one in black. Just because its cool on the iPod doesn't mean that it will work for the iBook.

And someone posted about a MacBook Nano. Never. Apple's small notebooks are about as small as they want them to be and still retain the amount of functionallity Apple demands. There's my 2 cents. Spend wisely.

• Reply 32 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

No it wasn't. A Celeron version of Yonah isn't being released until Q2.

I didn't claim it was based on the Yonah. There's nothing particularly wrong with the current Dothan based Celeron M.
  • Reply 33 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

Entry level laptops on the PC side, sometimes priced up to $2000, typically have integrated graphics. Personally, I think Apple may well put the Core Duo in the iBook (or MacBook, whatever it will be called), and differentiate it in the same way PC manufacturers do: integrated graphics.

Depends on if Apple have ported Intel integrated graphics drivers to OSX. So far they've only got ATI and Nvidia.
  • Reply 34 of 73
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shanmugam

i donot see a problem in Duo in MacBook knowing that merom will be available in June and will be droped in MacBook Pro

actually Intel has pushed back the Merom release to the end of the year shipping, and should see it in computers early next year.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/02...oadmap_feb_06/
  • Reply 35 of 73
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    Quote:

Depends on if Apple have ported Intel integrated graphics drivers to OSX. So far they've only got ATI and Nvidia.

the developer machines ran OSX and only had intel integrated video by default.
  • Reply 36 of 73
    I will NOT buy a Celeron ANYthing and do not recommend it to others. Celerons are crap processors IMHO. I only PRAY Apple never puts a Celeron in ANYthing they sell. But there's just no telling really with Apple, and while I'm on the subject Steve Jobs reality distortion field should be really named smoke and mirrors or merely be honest and call it Bull chips. Sory Steve your current intel processors are not enough to make me plunk down money when I can order a 2ghz G4 cpu (gigadesigns.com) upgrade for 400 dollars for a sawtooth tower. Oh and a nice radeon 9800 pro with 256 mb ram for about 260 more. The dollar difference while a slightly slower computer makes up for anything Apple is currently offering from the Intel side due to a lack of software available to run natively. 4 port usb 2 cards are 30-40 dollars.....Further, suppose you get a scrambled directory there is NO disk utility i know of runs under Mac Intel. SAVE your money people Macintel ain't ready for prime time YET.
  • Reply 37 of 73
    I personally think that a consumer notebook should come with a 15" screen. For a lot of people this will be their one and only computer and want some more screen space.

I'm wishing for a 15" ibook.
  • Reply 38 of 73
    Funny, this article basically says what I've been saying in postings for the last month.

It just makes sense, people. Who is going to pay $1299 for an ibook with HALF the performance of a $1499 macbook?
  • Reply 39 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by applewiz

SAVE your money people Macintel ain't ready for prime time YET.

Well, my brand new 20" core duo iMac shure feels and operates like a prime time machine to me 8)
  • Reply 40 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by applewiz

I will NOT buy a Celeron ANYthing and do not recommend it to others. Celerons are crap processors IMHO. I only PRAY Apple never puts a Celeron in ANYthing they sell.

a celeron-m 4x0 in the ibook would make it a cheap, low-power and plenty fast machine. why would you not want that?