Apple plans 17-inch MacBook Pro by June

Comments

• Reply 61 of 96
    aha. Good bit of detective work there. Maybe it's not just the camera that needs the space though. Maybe it's the better backlight. Let's also hope it's full of wifi aerial. ;-)
  • Reply 62 of 96
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

aha. Good bit of detective work there. Maybe it's not just the camera that needs the space though. Maybe it's the better backlight. Let's also hope it's full of wifi aerial. ;-)

If they had to make a change for one thing, then it makes sense that they would have taken advantage of it for something else as well.
  • Reply 63 of 96
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

What they've done, is to make the lid thicker in order to accommodate the camera. Correspondingly, they have thinned the base to keep the overall thickness the same. that gives less room for a drive.

But the lid really isn't much thicker, if it is any thicker at all. Just today, I saw the DuoBook and 15" PowerBook back to back at an Apple store and I couldn't tell any difference in the lid thickness. I think the reason the lid seems thicker is that it is an optical illusion, it now makes up a larger proportion of the overal laptop.

All of the difference in thickness is at the base, which makes some amount of sense, the 0.1" is about 2.5mm, which is the difference between the two drive thicknesses.
  • Reply 64 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

But the lid really isn't much thicker, if it is any thicker at all. Just today, I saw the DuoBook and 15" PowerBook back to back at an Apple store and I couldn't tell any difference in the lid thickness. I think the reason the lid seems thicker is that it is an optical illusion, it now makes up a larger proportion of the overal laptop.

All of the difference in thickness is at the base, which makes some amount of sense, the 0.1" is about 2.5mm, which is the difference between the two drive thicknesses.

No Jeff, it is thicker. The difference in total thickness between the two machines is less that 0.05". A bit more than 1 millimeter.
  • Reply 65 of 96
    Quote:

No Jeff, it is thicker. The difference in total thickness between the two machines is less that 0.05". A bit more than 1 millimeter.

What is thicker? And is Apple lying about the total machine thicknesses somewhere?
  • Reply 66 of 96
    Quote:

What is thicker? And is Apple lying about the total machine thicknesses somewhere?

The older machine is 0.05" (about 1.25 mm) thicker., but the base of the new one is thinner. That gives extra thickness to the lid. I have all of the numbers somewhere, but I can't find them right now.
  • Reply 67 of 96
    Quote:

The older machine is 0.05" (about 1.25 mm) thicker., but the base of the new one is thinner. That gives extra thickness to the lid. I have all of the numbers somewhere, but I can't find them right now.

I'd like to see those numbers if available. It looked like I would need to bring my digital caliper in to tell the difference between the two lids. That's not something which I want to answer store employee questions. If, for example, the lid was .05" thicker, while possible, I doubt that would escape my notice.
  • Reply 68 of 96
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I have a 17-inch PowerBook G4 1.5GHz model now, and would love it if they announced the 2.16GHz 17-inch MacBook Pro soon. I wonder how much it will cost? $2,799?

What features other than what we already see with the MacBook do you think it will have? We know it will have 256MB graphics...but will they be the x1600 or will they be better? Do you think it will have more USB ports? Firewire 800?

Now that my 15-inch is going back because it is defective, I am torn whether to wait for the 17-inch MacBook Pro, or give the 15-inch model another shot. I am really ancy, because the speed given to the Mac from the Intel Core Duo makes it so hard to go back to the G4.
  • Reply 69 of 96
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

...because the speed given to the Mac from the Intel Core Duo makes it so hard to go back to the G4.

Isn't that the truth.
  • Reply 70 of 96
    Here's some more wants:

300 nit or brighter display, and a display capable of wider viewing angles - like 140° or 170° (like the 20-inch C.D.). I would appreciate those things before an increase in resolution.
  • Reply 71 of 96
    Quote:

Here's some more wants:

300 nit or brighter display, and a display capable of wider viewing angles - like 140° or 170° (like the 20-inch C.D.). I would appreciate those things before an increase in resolution.

Going by what the display on the MBP is doing, I would think that there is an excellent chance for a 17" to give you just what you want.
  • Reply 72 of 96
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

I would appreciate those things before an increase in resolution.

I'd appreciate some native intel software over anything else first.

....mutters Adobe and various swear words whilst wandering off.....
  • Reply 73 of 96
    Quote:

I have a 17-inch PowerBook G4 1.5GHz model now, and would love it if they announced the 2.16GHz 17-inch MacBook Pro soon. I wonder how much it will cost? $2,799?

Actually I think the rumors are that it will be 2.33 GHz, the fastest yonah chip intel will offer before releasing the other chips at the end of the year. Unless they release it with the 2.16 GHz and offer the other one as a BTO.

I also think it will come standard with 1 GB of ram.

And if they sell it for $2,799 that would be a really good price!!
  • Reply 74 of 96
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    Quote:

Why?

Somehow, Sony manages to make an 11", 3lb notebook that doesn't sacrifice the integrated optical drive. It has Firewire, 2USB, Ethernet, modem, WiFi, Bluetooth, video out, mic, headphone, optional EDGE, port replicator jack, and CardBus. They claim the battery life is 4-7.5 hours. Now, an ultra light laptop is going to sacrifice something, here, it requires the ULV CPUs, the current model is 1.2GHz. That's the consequence of wanting an ultra light laptop, a significant part of the weight is the battery required to power the laptop.

If you care to validate it, here is the model: VGN-TX610P/B

I think this one would be an awesome MacBook Pro (nano or whatever) I have to insist that the 12" for factor is not going anywhere any time soon.. and again I do hope that it comes in 12.1 widescreed form..

WHEN WILL APPLE ANOUNNCE THE NEW MACBOOKS???

AHHHHHHHH!

SORRY!

• Reply 75 of 96
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

It is funny you should say that but the lady on the plane near me to day with her Sony Vaio had such an easy time working on her computer compared to me on my 12". The 12" was just too big for the tight quarters on the plane flying across country. Bring on the subnotebooks!! Hear me ROAR, errr something like that.

Of course, she had two spare battery's (for some reason) with her and I went 5.5 hours on a 13 month old iBook.

..that's what i'm saying... bring that 10 or 11"

PRONTO!!

• Reply 76 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zenga

WHEN WILL APPLE ANOUNNCE THE NEW MACBOOKS???

Probably (Hopefully) on April 1st Apple will announce the MacBook and a lot of other goodies... April should be a very fun month for us!!
  • Reply 77 of 96
    Could this be the reason for the 17-inch MacBook Pro delay?

[Linky]
  • Reply 78 of 96
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Could this be the reason for the 17-inch MacBook Pro delay?

[Linky]

Seems reasonable enough. But I also think the 17-inch MacBook Pro is delayed because it would use similar components to the 15-incher, and they (at least according to AI) are having "component shortages" already just for that model.

Has there ever been a consensus on what component there's a shortage of? My bet would be that it would be either the iSight cameras, or the thinner Superdrive...
  • Reply 79 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Dirk

Seems reasonable enough. But I also think the 17-inch MacBook Pro is delayed because it would use similar components to the 15-incher, and they (at least according to AI) are having "component shortages" already just for that model.

Has there ever been a consensus on what component there's a shortage of? My bet would be that it would be either the iSight cameras, or the thinner Superdrive...

I don't think the camera would be a problem. Iy's a simple board, with a chip that's made by the millions. The lens is pretty common as well.

It's either the cpu, the optical drive, as you mentioned, or possibly the LCD. They've had problems with LCD's before.
  • Reply 80 of 96
    I hate to proffer this but I am going to nonetheless...

17-inch MacBook Pro on Tuesday?

Along with (of course) Universal Binaries of Apple's pro applications.