Macintosh Nano?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    Even smaller? If so, that would be a ibook without display and keyboard.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by akheron01

Market segment, market shmegment, I just want the product line to be nice and pretty

Code:

iPod Nano --------- iPod --------- iPod Pro

MacBook Nano ------ MacBook ------ MacBook Pro

Mac Nano ---------- iMac --------- Macintosh Pro

What about

PowerMac Nano ----- PowerMac ----- PowerMac Pro
  • Reply 23 of 27
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 48HOURs

Even smaller? If so, that would be a ibook without display and keyboard.

Yeah, that would be the forthcoming Apple MacPad line:

MacPad mini - 8"+ widescreen touchscreen LCD...

MacPad - 13"+ widescreen touchscreen LCD...

MacPad Pro - 17"+ widescreen touchscreen LCD...

We can only hope...!
  • Reply 24 of 27
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Originally posted by opnsource

My point was that Apple has been building the smallest, most functionall laptops on the market. True, they might not be as "Utra-Portable" as some of the offerings from Sony and others, but they have consistantly been the thinest when it came to Pro laptops.

How is the 12" Powerbook more functional than ultralights? Have you really looked at the Sony TX670P? 2.76 pounds, smaller than the 12" PB in every dimension. Firewire, USB 2.0, VGA output, Dual Layer DVD+R burner, 60GB hard drive, 1366x768 display and longer battery life. In every way, as good as or better than the 12" PB. Besides, not everybody needs a desktop replacement with them at all times. Like most 12" PB owners, I use mine as a mobile machine, but when I'm at home, I use a full-blown PowerMac. When I'm on the road, that Sony would do absolutely everything I need to do and more, except run OS X (although maybe with luck, OSx86 might make that possible, too). Web, email, Google Earth, FTP, an office suite, play movies with VLC, run Dreamweaver and Fireworks and the occasional Photoshop session. I don't need Aperture, Final Cut Pro or Shake and most other users don't need them, either. There's no reason why a 12" PB should need to be able to do everything the 17" can. If all you're going to do is vary the screen size and maybe CPU speed, then you're not serving as much of the market as you should.

EDIT: Oh, and the Sony also has built-in 802.11g, Bluetooth and Ethernet, just like the PB, plus a Memory Card slot (neat but not essential, especially if you use another kind of card) and a mini PCI-Express slot. Apple won't even give us a PC Card slot in the 12" PB because they "don't have enough room." Top that off with the built-in ability to use Cingular's cell network if you bought a Cingular data plan. The Powerbook doesn't seem all that "most functional" anymore, does it?
  • Reply 25 of 27
    "I'm crossing my fingers for a MacBook Shuffle that I can hang around my neck when I work out."

HAHAHAH
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kolchak

How is the 12" Powerbook more functional than ultralights? Have you really looked at the Sony TX670P? 2.76 pounds, smaller than the 12" PB in every dimension. Firewire, USB 2.0, VGA output, Dual Layer DVD+R burner, 60GB hard drive, 1366x768 display and longer battery life. In every way, as good as or better than the 12" PB. Besides, not everybody needs a desktop replacement with them at all times. Like most 12" PB owners, I use mine as a mobile machine, but when I'm at home, I use a full-blown PowerMac. When I'm on the road, that Sony would do absolutely everything I need to do and more, except run OS X (although maybe with luck, OSx86 might make that possible, too). Web, email, Google Earth, FTP, an office suite, play movies with VLC, run Dreamweaver and Fireworks and the occasional Photoshop session. I don't need Aperture, Final Cut Pro or Shake and most other users don't need them, either. There's no reason why a 12" PB should need to be able to do everything the 17" can. If all you're going to do is vary the screen size and maybe CPU speed, then you're not serving as much of the market as you should.

EDIT: Oh, and the Sony also has built-in 802.11g, Bluetooth and Ethernet, just like the PB, plus a Memory Card slot (neat but not essential, especially if you use another kind of card) and a mini PCI-Express slot. Apple won't even give us a PC Card slot in the 12" PB because they "don't have enough room." Top that off with the built-in ability to use Cingular's cell network if you bought a Cingular data plan. The Powerbook doesn't seem all that "most functional" anymore, does it?

While it may be hard to match all the pc makers feature for feature, Apple can do better. As you point out, pc laptops come with a much greater variety of features and price points for a much broader market. I say bring on the subnotebooks.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    How about a Mac nano that you can put on your keychain?