Mac Mini expectations

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Socketed Processor (so we can got drop the fastest dual core in it)

6 Hi-Speed USB 2.0 ports (should be enough for mouse,keyboard, printer,scanner,USB Flash Drive, software dongle to used at the same time)

SATA 3.5" Hard Drive

1 Firewire 400

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    no

no

no

yes
  • Reply 2 of 25
    A SATA 3.5" hard drive would make it bigger and noisier.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    faster as well
  • Reply 4 of 25
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Why can't Apple come out with a larger Mac mini aka Media Mac...

LINK
  • Reply 5 of 25
    19841984 Posts: 955member
  • Reply 6 of 25
    The only expectations that are logical are that the product will be underwhelming and lacking features that we all want.

This supposed "Mac Media Center" has been rumoured for so long, but with no evidence to support it.

It's more likely that the next Mac Mini will simply be the same Mac mini with an Intel processor and an infrared port for use with Front Row (version 1.0).
  • Reply 7 of 25
    I can't imagine the mini would get a Core Solo - it would almost have to be a Celeron D.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by buckeye

The only expectations that are logical are that the product will be underwhelming and lacking features that we all want.

This supposed "Mac Media Center" has been rumoured for so long, but with no evidence to support it.

It's more likely that the next Mac Mini will simply be the same Mac mini with an Intel processor and an infrared port for use with Front Row (version 1.0).

I completely agree. IF Apple made a media centre computer they probably wouldn't base it off the Mac Mini. IF they made one it would probably sport a new design. They have made steps to make multiple models into pseudo media centers(Front Row). That's about as far as it's likely to go.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jackbauer

I can't imagine the mini would get a Core Solo - it would almost have to be a Celeron D.

Why?

Prediction: Core Solo and even smaller case. You read it here.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    stwstw Posts: 21member
    At least in the base model:

- Celeron 4xx (Yonah)

- Intel integrated graphics.

- Same case.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by jackbauer

i think apple would like to use a lagrande/tpm capable cpu/chipset.

afiak, that would rule out netburst-based cpus. (currently anyway...?)
  • Reply 12 of 25
    I use a Mm and I have been looking forward to the first real upgrade. I want Dual Core. The time has come for Apple to go dual throughout. They need to differentiate with features, not with what software will run well on your system. It should be able to run all consumer and pro-sumer apps. Unless you are looking at specialty pro applications, you should not have to worry about whether the software on the shelf will run well on your system.

Front Row is a must. The remote can be an optional add-on. Apple can rip us for an extra $30. Include Photo Booth and give us a reason to buy an iSight camera. Allow for at least 2 GB of ram.

Isn't it time for DVD burning, Blue Tooth, and WiFi to be standard across the board by now?
  • Reply 13 of 25
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Voyer

Isn't it time for DVD burning, Blue Tooth, and WiFi to be standard across the board by now?

No... if you want extra functionality, you have to bleed.

But I agree: the Mac mini has to swallow 2GB of ram.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    I want a shiny black model. I'd also like an e-sata port to connect an external, stackable hard drive like this LaCie model. I'll settle for a USB or Firewire connection if e-sata isn't viable. I won't buy the mini if Apple doesn't offer a Core Duo option. I don't care about the optical drive so Apple can just use the cheapest one available. Same goes for the internal HD, as long as I can boot off the external.

I've been wanting to switch back to Mac since last summer, but then Apple announced the Intel change and I held back. I can continue to hold until fall, but I really want to replace my noisy PC. I would much prefer a more expandable headless Mac (cube) but I'll take the mini if I have to. I'm willing to spend up to $800. I'm not in the market for an AIO, so the iMac is out of the question.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    -Core Solo on low-end models, Core Duo on highest end model

-Intel GMA950 integrated graphics

-New slightly smaller case design in choice of white or black

-AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth standard across the line

-Front Row (remote optional on $499 model)

-3 USB 2.0 ports and 1 FireWire 400 port

-3 models: Core Solo 1.66 Ghz/Combo Drive for $499, Core Solo 1.66 GHz/SuperDrive for $599, Core Duo 1.66 GHz/SuperDrive for $699

my (revised) 2 cents 8)
  • Reply 16 of 25
    x704x704 Posts: 276member
    I think (hope?) there could be a split in the Mac Mini line. The mac mini occupying the ultra low end, and a supped up mac mini/media center.

Mac Mini $499

Solo core, 256MB, integrated video 32MB, current small footprint & 2.5" HD. 2USB + 1 Firewire

Super Mini/Media Center $749

Dual core, Larger form factor, 512MB (2 ram slots), 3.5" Hard drive, 128MB mid level video chip. 4USB(2 in front) + 1 Firewire
  • Reply 17 of 25
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Well, Apple WILL NOT go with any integrated crap graphics. Probably something like the Radeon X1300.

I seriously doubt they will put a crap Celeron processor in it. I think the Core Solo is a go.

IF it has DVR capabilities, it needs to dump the 2.5" drive in favor of a 3.5" drive. Faster and more capacity. Of course, this would likely jack the dimensions about 1" in width and depth and probably about 1/2" in height. Still pretty damn svelte though.

Of course, a DVR model would be higher priced and I think they still need to have a $499 base line computer.

Maybe they can throw in a KB and Mighty Mouse with it this time?

Oh, 512 MB ram is mandatory these days. Its 2006 for gods sake.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Basically, what we are all looking for is the current iMac in a small box, but the problem that we have is the current mini is an iBook in a small box.

So, we have to ask ourselves - is Apple prepared to put the innards from the current iMac (even with a 1.66 Duo) in such a cheaper package. I don't think so, but I do hope so.

David.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    I think perhaps they would.

If they get a slower Core Duo, it'll mean a cooler running chip, which fits nicely with the Mac Mini fanlessness. It would also be cheaper. They could cut the graphics card down a bit, since the one in the iMac is fairly powerful. That, minus the LCD, would also cut costs quite a bit. The low end iMac is already $1300, dropping the screen, proc, and graphics card.. you get pretty close to a mini.

Here's hoping, anyways.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    See this link:http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=801

The Celeron M 420 is probally more realistic for a $499 machine.