Apple's 15-inch PowerBook dropped from online store

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer on Wednesday discontinued sales of its 15-inch 1.67GHz PowerPC-based professional PowerBook G4 notebook through the Apple Online Store, tipsters have informed AppleInsider.

The 12-inch and 17-inch PowerBook G4 offerings are still available for purchase at $1499 and $2499, respectively.

Inventory levels of all three models have been on a slow decline ever since Apple announced in January the availability of an Intel-based 15-inch MacBook Pro professional laptop, designed to replace the 15-inch PowerBook.

According to reports, Apple also plans to replace the 17-inch flagship PowerBook G4 model with a 17-inch Intel-based MacBook Pro by June. A 12-inch model does not appear to be in the company's cards.

Apple customers still looking to secure one of the 1.67GHz 15-inch PowerBook G4 may turn to Amazon.com, which still lists stock of the notebook and is offering a $200 rebate, bringing the final cost down to $1799.99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I'm sure there will be a smaller laptop on the way (and I'm hoping at least one model has Core Duo) but maybe not so similar to the 15" and 17". Either it will be the iBook replacement or a third model in between, or (dare I hope?) an ultrathin, ultracompact model deserving its own name.

Or it may simply be a 12-13" MacBook Pro, but delayed--perhaps because the iBook replacement will use the same screen, or some cooling issue... you never know.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

The 12-inch and 17-inch PowerBook G4 offerings are still available for purchase at $14999 and $2499, respectively.

Wow. The 12" PowerBook has really shot up in price. Perhaps it's in high demand due to the rumors that it won't have a replacement.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Haha, a 12" Powerbook for 15,000 bucks?

Sorry, got a little smile on my face because of that typo