Apple begins widespread testing of Mac OS X 10.4.6

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by josa92

Yes. Since iTunes is updated every Tuesday, and this event is on Tuesday, I think we'll definetily (sp!?) see a new iTunes. Possibly iTunes 7, to go with the Home entertainment system that they will be releasing. (I hope)

And as long as they don't change the name of the iBook, I'm okay with whatever they do. Maybe they could bring back the lime green option. <smiles with glee>

That would be interesting if Apple released a new update of iTunes every Tuesday. They'd win some sort of efficiency award for that, for sure

(it's the store that's updated, not the program)
  • Reply 22 of 35
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

One solution is to move Terminal out of Applications/Utilities until Apple comes out with a fix. This problem uses Terminal to do its nasty. When you move Terminal, it can't find it, and does nothing.

Since most people don't use Terminal can't you just change the permissions to no access? Granted if you repair permissions this will be changed back.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crees!

Since most people don't use Terminal can't you just change the permissions to no access? Granted if you repair permissions this will be changed back.

I live in the terminal! But I'm also smart enough to uncheck my "Open Safe Files" and not open random attachments, etc.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    Why is Safari listed in every single maintenance update to Mac OS?

That, and the fact that I've dumped Safari in favor of Camino shouldn't be surprising. Safari + Java-heavy pages don't mix.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    Perhaps they'll integrate Spotlight to check the headers of the attached image files and see if they are indeed a jpg, gif, png, mng, tiff, etc. Then if it violates a set of conditions required for it to be pass they chmod the permissions to only be read by root. Better yet, if they send an alert to the user that this is a false image and give them the option to delete it but have a configurable option that allows one to save it to a temp directory where one can run vi/pico or their favorite text editor and view the guts of it.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

Perhaps they'll integrate Spotlight to check the headers of the attached image files and see if they are indeed a jpg, gif, png, mng, tiff, etc. Then if it violates a set of conditions required for it to be pass they chmod the permissions to only be read by root. Better yet, if they send an alert to the user that this is a false image and give them the option to delete it but have a configurable option that allows one to save it to a temp directory where one can run vi/pico or their favorite text editor and view the guts of it.

There is a very interesting, and informed discussion about this on macintouch.com. Hit the link and scroll sown to where it says "Notes and Tips".

http://www.macintouch.com/
  • Reply 27 of 35
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    The only problem that I see with the current version is SPEED...but that isnt an OS issue, it is a mac mini issue.

I love OSX but Windows is SOOOOOO much faster...note to apple: the 4200RPM HDD in your "gateway drug" mac mini is REALLY annoying...
  • Reply 28 of 35
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

It's not a Safari or a Mail problem - the file could be on a CD and still do the same damage. It's a system flaw just as the previous (and almost identical) file identifier flaw.

Mail in X.3.9 denied opening such a jpg attachment.

Apple fixed something that was not broken.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by smalM

Mail in X.3.9 denied opening such a jpg attachment.

Apple fixed something that was not broken.

The problem was there as well.It goes back a while, it was just now noticed, though. The problem isn't really with Safari, or Mail.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

The only problem that I see with the current version is SPEED...but that isnt an OS issue, it is a mac mini issue.

I love OSX but Windows is SOOOOOO much faster...note to apple: the 4200RPM HDD in your "gateway drug" mac mini is REALLY annoying...

If it's not an OS issue, then Windows isn't faster, which it isn't. I just switched from a 2Ghz laptop to a 12" PowerBook (PowerBook has faster memory but same speed HD) and have only noticed the same operations being performed faster in OS X, in spite of the hardware.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jdbartlett

If it's not an OS issue, then Windows isn't faster, which it isn't. I just switched from a 2Ghz laptop to a 12" PowerBook (PowerBook has faster memory but same speed HD) and have only noticed the same operations being performed faster in OS X, in spite of the hardware.

Well, I upgraded my mini to tiger on day 0 and all subsequent updates and it was dog slow, as a last resort, I just booted to thr Tiger DVD and ran disk utility from that -- repaired volumes and permissions, and it is at least 3x faster...WOWZA

I retract my earlier comment.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by macinthe408

Why is Safari listed in every single maintenance update to Mac OS?

That, and the fact that I've dumped Safari in favor of Camino shouldn't be surprising. Safari + Java-heavy pages don't mix.

Perhaps WebKit is getting a lot of updates Which can be only a good thing really.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wgauvin

Perhaps WebKit is getting a lot of updates Which can be only a good thing really.

I agree. Saying Safari gets updated is essentially the same and makes more sense for the average user.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

One solution is to move Terminal out of Applications/Utilities until Apple comes out with a fix. This problem uses Terminal to do its nasty. When you move Terminal, it can't find it, and does nothing.

The solution I'm using is to modify my user account to disable Terminal access and use a different account (w/fast user switching) exclusively for Terminal. Not pracical for all users, but suits me fine.

I didn't want to move/rename Terminal.app for fear I'd forget to move it back before running update!

Also, I'm running a race. It took Microsoft 8 days to fix a comparable flaw (WMF, anyone?)
  • Reply 35 of 35
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by psychboy

That would be interesting if Apple released a new update of iTunes every Tuesday. They'd win some sort of efficiency award for that, for sure

(it's the store that's updated, not the program)

Really, it just feels like Apple updates iTunes every tuesday (what, there's another update coming? Gah!)

Quote:

Originally posted by drakethegreat

I must say that it seems pretty crazy how Apple has been on top of these updates. Seems their release cycle is completely accelerated to a point I haven't seen before. Despite if their motives are to make Mac OS X hack proof (this is a good thing in my mind) or not isn't really that big of a deal.

Well, it is crazy. But they better make sure they don't get OS X into the same update cycle as iTunes or the old windows update schedule. Continuous updates are BAD. People will soon ignore them if they come fast and furious (again, just look at how many windows users aren't running the latest updates).

MS switched their update schedule finally (at the behest of IT people) to a more structured "once a month" type of approach that allowed people to stay on top of updates and be able to get their other work done.

Quote:

Originally posted by drakethegreat

We get changelogs from developers so that we know what they did. The list of things they are updating is staggering when compared to new features when other companies release updates, and that can't be denied. After all its not like most other companies even give you new featuures in updates. Most make you pay for new stuff these days.

Exactly where do we get changelogs from Apple? I always see just "We've improved this, that, and the other thing. Trust us" and then have to guess at what's been fixed or whether its worthy of the update (why waste the time updating to 10.4.5 if it does nothing to fix any of your problems? Just to create new ones?).