Feb. 28 predictions

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    Other predictions on the 2 rumors looking to be true:

iPod boombox

I buy into the idea that the iPod boombox is actually an iPod, not an accessory, much like in the new Battlestar Galactica, a Cylon Raider is an actual Cylon with biological guts, not a spacecraft with a Cylon pilot, so is the iPod boombox. It makes a certain amount of sense and opens up what Apple can due. It'll be big enough to use a 2.5" or 3.5" hard drive which means humungous hard drives for half the costs of the microdrives in the existing iPod. So, 120 GB drive, maybe 250 GB? Speakers are included. WiFi? less than 20% chance. User replacement battery? Yes.

LCD? Interesting question. 10" 640x480 LCD means it could be a dorm room video player? Probably not. Scroll wheel? Hmm...

Mac mini

1.67 GHz Core Solo or Dothan, PCIe X1300 64 MB graphics, 512 MB RAM, 2.5" 80 GB drive, 1.5 inch thick otherwise same planform, for $499. 1.67 GHz Core Duo config for $599. I'm optimistic tonight. Interesting though of the day. Why not the dual-core 2.67 GHz Pentium 4 D 805? Apple probably can get it for $80. Too hot for a 1.5 or 2 inch package probably.
  • Reply 22 of 80
    I don't think there will be a 14' widescreen intel ibook, a 13' widescreen seems more possible.

According to your opinion, the new ibook would be 25% thinner than the original ibook, that means 1" thick, the same as macbook pro.

I hope so but can it be true?
  • Reply 23 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by 48HOURs

I don't think there will be a 14' widescreen intel ibook, a 13' widescreen seems more possible.

I think you're right...13.3-inch would be Apple's sweet spot for this market segment. I keep saying it, but I do think that Apple will make a consumer version of the 15.4-inch MacBook. I wonder if the new iBook/MacBook will start a hybrid use of both aluminum and plastic, like the Mac mini and iMac employ?
  • Reply 24 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

Mac mini

1.67 GHz Core Solo or Dothan, PCIe X1300 64 MB graphics, 512 MB RAM, 2.5" 80 GB drive, 1.5 inch thick otherwise same planform, for $499. 1.67 GHz Core Duo config for $599. I'm optimistic tonight. Interesting though of the day. Why not the dual-core 2.67 GHz Pentium 4 D 805? Apple probably can get it for $80. Too hot for a 1.5 or 2 inch package probably. [/B]

2.67 Pentium D 805, that will kill PM sales!!! PM sales are gone down consideranly even since the rise of iMacs and PBs.

but it is manufactured in 90nm, CPUs available now as well??
  • Reply 25 of 80
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

Why not the dual-core 2.67 GHz Pentium 4 D 805? Apple probably can get it for $80. Too hot for a 1.5 or 2 inch package probably.

Because Apple is not going to use anything older than the current Yonah Core Duo CPUs...

No Pentium D, Pentium M, Pentium whatever...

Come on people, get with the program!

The CPUs Apple is gonna use will be Yonahs, Meroms, Conroes & Woodcrests...

For the next few years, at least...

Until Intel comes up with the NEXT next-gen models of CPUs...

(and keep in mind, the Merom is the point where Intel goes 64-bit, and is what Apple wanted to start the transition with, but the timeframe would have totally tanked unit sales in the interim. Therefore, the Yonah as a transitional unit, to get us to the REAL transition...)
  • Reply 26 of 80
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

iPod boombox

I buy into the idea that the iPod boombox is actually an iPod, not an accessory, much like in the new Battlestar Galactica, a Cylon Raider is an actual Cylon with biological guts, not a spacecraft with a Cylon pilot, so is the iPod boombox. It makes a certain amount of sense and opens up what Apple can due. It'll be big enough to use a 2.5" or 3.5" hard drive which means humungous hard drives for half the costs of the microdrives in the existing iPod. So, 120 GB drive, maybe 250 GB? Speakers are included. WiFi? less than 20% chance. User replacement battery? Yes.....

Although I like the idea of a "big, wireless enabled iPod with built in amp and speakers", I wonder if Apple would be willing to blur the iPod concept/branding this way. The whole iPod "thing" is lots of music in the smallest form factor possible, made groovy by the iTMS and your desktop with iTunes.

I'm guessing that we'll get the dockable concept, and that it will be a "big airport express with built in amp and speakers". You can use it just like your AE/desktop with iTunes playlist set up, then pop in your iPod for on the go. Take it to a party, run it off the host airport card and playlist if available, pop in an iPod if not. Probably something surprising and Apple like about the layout of the controls and display.

As far as the rest of Feb. 28, maybe Intel mini with FR, maybe some special edition iPod, that's it.

As has been pointed out, the 30 year anniversary looms and anything really rad would have to be held back for then.
  • Reply 27 of 80
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I think you're right...13.3-inch would be Apple's sweet spot for this market segment. I keep saying it, but I do think that Apple will make a consumer version of the 15.4-inch MacBook. I wonder if the new iBook/MacBook will start a hybrid use of both aluminum and plastic, like the Mac mini and iMac employ?

but what about the 12.1" wxga macbook or pro? there has to be a small 1 just like the current 12" ibooks powerbooks... and why can't there be both versions in the new intel ones? i don't understand!!! i do think that the 13.3" would be an awesome one, but the 12" shouldn't go away.. unless the come up with a 11.1"...

okidoki.
  • Reply 28 of 80
    I wonder if Microsoft's barely hidden (revealed by Scoble in his blog - Scoble is employed by Microsoft) Origami project announcement a couple of days after Apple has anything to do with it.

If Apple comes out with an iPod PDA on the 28th you can bet Microsoft will want to steal some of Apple's thunder. Origami is to announce on the 2nd and appears to be some kind of ultra portable or PDA. They're already turning up the FUD machine with paid bloggers talking about it.

So, return of the Newton? Is that enough to scare Microsoft into reaching for the FUD machine.
  • Reply 29 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

I wonder if Microsoft's barely hidden (revealed by Scoble in his blog - Scoble is employed by Microsoft) Origami project announcement a couple of days after Apple has anything to do with it.

If Apple comes out with an iPod PDA on the 28th you can bet Microsoft will want to steal some of Apple's thunder. Origami is to announce on the 2nd and appears to be some kind of ultra portable or PDA. They're already turning up the FUD machine with paid bloggers talking about it.

So, return of the Newton? Is that enough to scare Microsoft into reaching for the FUD machine.

What's FUD ?

• Reply 30 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zenga

What's FUD ?

FUD - Fear Uncertainty and Doubt

Microsoft has a habit of announcing new products which may never see the light of day whenever a competitor announces something. Users who may then have bought the competitors product then don't buy one because the Microsoft one is due 'real soon now'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FUD
  • Reply 31 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

FUD - Fear Uncertainty and Doubt

Microsoft has a habit of announcing new products which may never see the light of day whenever a competitor announces something. Users who may then have bought the competitors product then don't buy one because the Microsoft one is due 'real soon now'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FUD

thankx!

shame on u bill!

• Reply 32 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

iPod boombox

I buy into the idea that the iPod boombox is actually an iPod, not an accessory, much like in the new Battlestar Galactica, a Cylon Raider is an actual Cylon with biological guts, not a spacecraft with a Cylon pilot, so is the iPod boombox. It makes a certain amount of sense and opens up what Apple can due. It'll be big enough to use a 2.5" or 3.5" hard drive which means humungous hard drives for half the costs of the microdrives in the existing iPod. So, 120 GB drive, maybe 250 GB? Speakers are included. WiFi? less than 20% chance. User replacement battery? Yes.

LCD? Interesting question. 10" 640x480 LCD means it could be a dorm room video player? Probably not. Scroll wheel? Hmm...

Mac mini

1.67 GHz Core Solo or Dothan, PCIe X1300 64 MB graphics, 512 MB RAM, 2.5" 80 GB drive, 1.5 inch thick otherwise same planform, for $499. 1.67 GHz Core Duo config for $599. I'm optimistic tonight. Interesting though of the day. Why not the dual-core 2.67 GHz Pentium 4 D 805? Apple probably can get it for $80. Too hot for a 1.5 or 2 inch package probably.

So you're basically saying that Jobs wasn't joking at MWSF about the 8-pound iPod with a 10-inch screen.
  • Reply 33 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I don't think apple will give up the 15.4-inch MacBook, anyway 15" widescreen is the mainstrean notebook. Maybe there will be a 15"macbook in plastic shell, just like what you said about 13"macbook.
  • Reply 34 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zenga

but what about the 12.1" wxga macbook or pro? there has to be a small 1 just like the current 12" ibooks powerbooks... and why can't there be both versions in the new intel ones? i don't understand!!! i do think that the 13.3" would be an awesome one, but the 12" shouldn't go away.. unless the come up with a 11.1"...

okidoki.

I think the weight of a portable notebook is much more important instead of the display size. Don't you think PB12 is too heavy for its weight is nearly the same as ibook12. Think about the PB15 and the ibook14, the PB15 is bigger but lighter than the ibook14. So what if there will be a MacBook(Pro)13 within 2KG, won't it be much more better than the current PB12?
  • Reply 35 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by chicagodan

So you're basically saying that Jobs wasn't joking at MWSF about the 8-pound iPod with a 10-inch screen.

Yep:

The iPod Boombox might be a larger iPod with a built-in amp and built-in speakers. Just like a ghettoblaster -- but without the hassle of carrying all these discs around with you. Nice sound for the rest of us!

The iPod HiFi -- in contrary -- might just be an iPod that is housed in a standard HiFi rack sized enclosure (17"). Without any amps, but with neat analogue and digital line-outs (missing in current iPods) and line-ins (for direct encoding off your old vinyl or tape collection!). Besides: Apple might finally get the point and deliver these babies with a pitch control feature that makes them useful for DJs, too. Maybe even with professional XLR connectors as a built-to-order option.

Both devices might indeed come with a large 3.5" hard disk drive that can take up every track of music you ever bought in your whole life. And both of them might sport Ethernet ports and WLAN capabilities right built-in, so that you can listen to webradio and podcasts everywhere in your house -- and you can stream their audio output to any AirportExpress station in the neighborhood. Besides, they can work as audio servers and share their tracks with any iTunes software running on any Mac or PC in your network.

Mark my words!

Steve don't lie!
  • Reply 36 of 80
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    iPod Extreme. Double the thickness, same amount of GB. But in Raid 1 formation and water proof. Ideal for extreme sailing.
  • Reply 37 of 80
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yankeedoodle

The iPod HiFi -- in contrary -- might just be an iPod that is housed in a standard HiFi rack sized enclosure (17"). Without any amps, but with neat analogue and digital line-outs (missing in current iPods) and line-ins (for direct encoding off your old vinyl or tape collection!). Besides: Apple might finally get the point and deliver these babies with a pitch control feature that makes them useful for DJs, too. Maybe even with professional XLR connectors as a built-to-order option.

Both devices might indeed come with a large 3.5" hard disk drive that can take up every track of music you ever bought in your whole life. And both of them might sport Ethernet ports and WLAN capabilities right built-in, so that you can listen to webradio and podcasts everywhere in your house -- and you can stream their audio output to any AirportExpress station in the neighborhood. Besides, they can work as audio servers and share their tracks with any iTunes software running on any Mac or PC in your network.

I like that thought. Put them into a 1u enclosure like the x serve and put in high end D/A converters, etc. Perhaps even a motorized lcd display that could with a push of a button come out and have the on screen menu of your tunes.

I would also dearly love an updated Airport express with the ability of streaming video from my cable box to my computer.

I don't own a TV but I have the cable just for the broadband. An updated AE would allow me to watch TV on my 30" Cinema Display or my 17" PB
  • Reply 38 of 80
    Well, Now I have lost my link, damnit, (sorry all) ... but I saw somewhere when looking at information for

this thread, that M$ has a surprise event scheduled for the 28th now, too.... (will the copycat never cease?).

This probably has to do with Origami; a project which I suspect will be cool, but bloated (as most everything they do).

My question is, do you think they could be putting pressure on Apple to show its hand tomorrow with any of these mobile patents/touch-screen patent projects?

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 39 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by lucida

iPod Boombox:

Wireless - links to your Airtunes library

Powerful - Harmon Kardon engineered

Docks - fits any iPod

Remote Control

6" LED display - readable from across the room

Considering I can buy a $6.00 cable from Radio Shack and hook my PowerBook to my home theater, that seems really unappealing to me.

I realize there are those without Powerbooks, but still...
  • Reply 40 of 80
    AH! Here is the link I mentioned for the M$ Feb 28 "Surprise Event."

"The company announced a surprise media presentation to be held on Tuesday evening at which an "innovative concept in development" will be unveiled."

Either M$ knows something we don't or they are trying to force Apple to show their hand.... Wonder what Steve will have to say about this?

Interesting also that the video on digital kitchen mentioned by http://macrumors.com seems to have been pulled......

H.S.E.

Mandricard

AppleOutsider