Aperture 1.1 to offer speed and RAW improvements

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Hey, I am using Aperture regularly since December, even if for only maybe 50 photos per week. It has not crashed once since the 1.0.1 update.

Maybe it is a bit more noisy than PS but compared to using mostly uncorrected jpegs because of not having to the time to treat the raws in PS using Aperture just made my pictures a lot better.

Even the beta-version of Aperture is absolutely worth its money, and then the next upgrade (to 1.1) is free.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zenga

I have a iMac G5.. will Aperture work well on this machine? what about PowerBooks & MacBooks?

Aperture will only work with an iSight iMac G5. The older ones had a crappy 5200fx that can't handle it.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    Quote:

Aperture will only work with an iSight iMac G5. The older ones had a crappy 5200fx that can't handle it.

Actually, the iMac G5 before the iMac G5 iSight had, iirc, an ati 9600, which is supported by aperture.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I remember in the initial Aperture review on Ars. The RAW processing between Aperture and Adobe Bridge.

In that comparision it seemed Aperture RAW processing may have worked too well. The Aperture photo seemed to pull more dynamic range from the picture. Because you could see more detail in the shadows and therefore more noise. Aperture'sRAW conversion seemed to go past the usable dynamic range of that picture.

While Adobe'sRAW conversion did not reach as much into the shadow detail. I suspect Apple will correct this difference.

I have seen though other examples of pictures that did not have deep shadows but shown more noise and digital artifacts in the Aperture picture than was in the Adobe.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    Well Rob Galbraith for one thinks Aperture has the best color rendition of just about any raw converter out there, and he's done a compete turnaround since version 1.1 was announced:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-7891-8243

Version 1.1 looks to be a giant leap forward. We can only hope it'll be released with OS X 10.4.6 which might have some additional raw formats supported, or at least DNG.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

I remember in the initial Aperture review on Ars. The RAW processing between Aperture and Adobe Bridge.

In that comparision it seemed Aperture RAW processing may have worked too well. The Aperture photo seemed to pull more dynamic range from the picture. Because you could see more detail in the shadows and therefore more noise. Aperture'sRAW conversion seemed to go past the usable dynamic range of that picture.

While Adobe'sRAW conversion did not reach as much into the shadow detail. I suspect Apple will correct this difference.

I have seen though other examples of pictures that did not have deep shadows but shown more noise and digital artifacts in the Aperture picture than was in the Adobe.

That's exactly what I was saying. Apple seemed to be reaching too far with shadow detail. The problem is that once you go that way, you can't get back. With Adobe's conversion, you could always make the choice to reach a bit further, if it was important. Apple's new converters seem to have moved back from the precipice.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by bikertwin

Well Rob Galbraith for one thinks Aperture has the best color rendition of just about any raw converter out there, and he's done a compete turnaround since version 1.1 was announced:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-7891-8243

Version 1.1 looks to be a giant leap forward. We can only hope it'll be released with OS X 10.4.6 which might have some additional raw formats supported, or at least DNG.

Ok, now, I'm excited. Most of the changes Apple needed to make seem to have been made. We can keep our fingers crossed, because Aperture seems to be on its way.

They did what they had to do. After this, we can wait until June, when they will likely come out with another major update, to add what we would like to have in addition.

But, it's a relief to see that they came out with this, not in a rushed way, but still within good time, and seem to have covered most of the bases.

I think that most of us can rest easy. I'm counting the days until I can download this.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Actually, PS 1.0 was pretty good. It really wasn't too buggy.

I thought it was pretty bad, but it sold for pennies compared to the $3,000+ Letraset ColorStudio it competed against. It's ironic to think about now, but at the time the Photoshop was considered the cheap-o knockoff product competing solely on low price. At this point the suite has become expensive enough that one wonders if they've opened up an opportunity at the bottom for another competitor to sneak in.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Booga

I thought it was pretty bad, but it sold for pennies compared to the $3,000+ Letraset ColorStudio it competed against. It's ironic to think about now, but at the time the Photoshop was considered the cheap-o knockoff product competing solely on low price. At this point the suite has become expensive enough that one wonders if they've opened up an opportunity at the bottom for another competitor to sneak in.

I never though of it that way. I did think that ColorStudio sucked. That's why it disappeared so quickly after PS came out.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Ok, now, I'm excited. Most of the changes Apple needed to make seem to have been made. We can keep our fingers crossed, because Aperture seems to be on its way.

They did what they had to do. After this, we can wait until June, when they will likely come out with another major update, to add what we would like to have in addition.

But, it's a relief to see that they came out with this, not in a rushed way, but still within good time, and seem to have covered most of the bases.

I think that most of us can rest easy. I'm counting the days until I can download this.

I hope you're right about another update in June. But even with 1.1 (and, hopefully, further raw format additions throughout the year), I'll be pretty happy. I'm lovin' 1.0.1 with an X800 XT card. Made a world of difference.

The mind boggles at what 2.0 might include.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by bikertwin

I hope you're right about another update in June. But even with 1.1 (and, hopefully, further raw format additions throughout the year), I'll be pretty happy. I'm lovin' 1.0.1 with an X800 XT card. Made a world of difference.

The mind boggles at what 2.0 might include.

My mind is already too boggled.