Apple announces iPod Hi-Fi boombox

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 184
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Good review here.

Typically for Apple, there are some really nice interface and usability touches:

--If you're on batts, the amp automatically throttles back as they drain so you can't push it into distortion.

--When you go to battery power, the volume is automatically set to "ambient" to conserve power, you adjust it from there.

--Volume ramps up gradually when you dock your iPod.

--Stealing a page from the display-less shuffle, the HiFi's status light does tricks to give you feedback. Green blink for valid command, orange blink for invalid command or when you try to use another Apple remote that's been paired with other hardware (I had wondered about that, if your front row enabled computer would be quietly going berserk in the background while you used your HiFi). The status light also lets you know if you are on mains or batts and if the iPod is paused.

--You can toggle between iPod input and aux input with the remote.

The review goes on to compare the HiFi with similar boxes on the market, and the findings can be summed up by saying that the HiFi generally gets louder with less distortion, has better bass extension, is tailored for a slightly boosted mid-range "warm" sound, and doesn't have quite the high end clarity or definition of several of the competitors.

That profile strikes me as suggesting some calculated design trade-offs, Apple having taken into account the HiFi's likely market and source material. Of course, all of the testing was done with the units running flat, so boosting the treble on the Hi Fi a bit probably gets some of the high end sparkle back.

The one thing that the review chides Apple for is overselling this as an "audiophile" item, which has engendered some hostility from folks who reckon themselves "audiophiles", and it's pretty obvious why.

They suggest that if Apple had simply said "we think we've made the best all in one solution for iPod playback on the market" they would have been better off, but it wouldn't be Apple without a little hyperbole, no?
  • Reply 182 of 184
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Good review here.

Typically for Apple, there are some really nice interface and usability touches:

--If you're on batts, the amp automatically throttles back as they drain so you can't push it into distortion.

--When you go to battery power, the volume is automatically set to "ambient" to conserve power, you adjust it from there.

--Volume ramps up gradually when you dock your iPod.

--Stealing a page from the display-less shuffle, the HiFi's status light does tricks to give you feedback. Green blink for valid command, orange blink for invalid command or when you try to use another Apple remote that's been paired with other hardware (I had wondered about that, if your front row enabled computer would be quietly going berserk in the background while you used your HiFi). The status light also lets you know if you are on mains or batts and if the iPod is paused.

--You can toggle between iPod input and aux input with the remote.

The review goes on to compare the HiFi with similar boxes on the market, and the findings can be summed up by saying that the HiFi generally gets louder with less distortion, has better bass extension, is tailored for a slightly boosted mid-range "warm" sound, and doesn't have quite the high end clarity or definition of several of the competitors.

That profile strikes me as suggesting some calculated design trade-offs, Apple having taken into account the HiFi's likely market and source material. Of course, all of the testing was done with the units running flat, so boosting the treble on the Hi Fi a bit probably gets some of the high end sparkle back.

The one thing that the review chides Apple for is overselling this as an "audiophile" item, which has engendered some hostility from folks who reckon themselves "audiophiles", and it's pretty obvious why.

They suggest that if Apple had simply said "we think we've made the best all in one solution for iPod playback on the market" they would have been better off, but it wouldn't be Apple without a little hyperbole, no?

Well, I'm an audiophile, and the hype doesn't bother me.

Whether some people like or not, hyperbole is part of selling consumer devices. You just rachet it down a notch or two.

The thing about "sparkle", is that it shouldn't be there. Hi frequencies shouldn't sparkle. That's when the treble is turned up too high.
  • Reply 183 of 184
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Well, I'm an audiophile, and the hype doesn't bother me.

Whether some people like or not, hyperbole is part of selling consumer devices. You just rachet it down a notch or two.

The thing about "sparkle", is that it shouldn't be there. Hi frequencies should sparkle. That's when the treble is turned up too high.

Right, poor choice of term.

The gist of the review seems to be that Apple chose volume, bass extension and mid-range warmth over a bit of high end transparency (at least in the ears of the reviewer).

That envelope makes sense for a box that looks to be intended as less of a near field solution than some of the competition and more of a robust room filler; and while touching up the treble control for any perceived dullness isn't an ideal solution it is available and probably sonically acceptable for most users (I'm assuming the situation isn't dire and subtle adjustments are all that are called for).

"Mid range warmth" always suggests to me a nod towards mass-market psycho-acoustic tailoring, but at this price point you're obviously not talking ultimate flatness and making a conscious choice is certainly better than just putting the components together and letting the hertz fall where they may, and I'll take "mid range warmth" over "absurd sloppy fake bass and ear bleeding tweeter zizz" any day.
  • Reply 184 of 184
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Right, poor choice of term.

The gist of the review seems to be that Apple chose volume, bass extension and mid-range warmth over a bit of high end transparency (at least in the ears of the reviewer).

That envelope makes sense for a box that looks to be intended as less of a near field solution than some of the competition and more of a robust room filler; and while touching up the treble control for any perceived dullness isn't an ideal solution it is available and probably sonically acceptable for most users (I'm assuming the situation isn't dire and subtle adjustments are all that are called for).

"Mid range warmth" always suggests to me a nod towards mass-market psycho-acoustic tailoring, but at this price point you're obviously not talking ultimate flatness and making a conscious choice is certainly better than just putting the components together and letting the hertz fall where they may, and I'll take "mid range warmth" over "absurd sloppy fake bass and ear bleeding tweeter zizz" any day.

It is complex. Audio, like video, as a matter of fact, like anything else in life, is a matter of trading one thing for another. I corrected the "should have sparkle", to "shouldn't have sparkle". It's not the choice of words, there are so many for describing the same thing. It's just that even seasoned audiophiles can get mislead by treble. If you turn the treble up, it sounds as though there is more transparency and detail, even on systems that have fairly poor quality treble. It can be misleading. If the triangle sounds really sharp and "clear", but the violins sound as though they have steel strings, you know you have a problem. Turn the treble down.

Generally, what we do is look at all of the defects in comparable products, and decide which ones we'll live with.

I don't know his ability to hear, and understand, what constitutes proper sound, so it's tough to know what he's looking for. But a friend of mine already bought one, and I got a chance to listen to it earlier today.

It does sound very good. Being that I subscribe to the school that says that frequency response should NOT be flat at the listening position, I don't find a problem with the balance. It should be tilted. Bass up, and treble down. In a straight line (hopefully). If the grill cloth is removed (as it always should be, if you are picky about those things), the hi-mid and treble, sound smoother, and slightly more extended. This is normal. diffraction effects from grills always cause problems.

Overall, I think that Apple has done a pretty good job. I'll pick mine up when my user group meets at the SoHo store on the 9th. Later, after I've had it for a week, I'll test it.