Integrated video sucks!

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spliff monkey

i'll let you know how it compares to my quad G5 with NVIDIA Quadro.

I hate you
  • Reply 62 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by smalM

I hate you

That hurts!

Ok fine were talking about editing dv footage, but given the price points on the imac I can't figure out why you'd buy a headless mac, spend tons on ram (I know I did) because it's not user serviceable so you got to buy apples ram, extra money on a keyboard and monitor. Granted there are people that already own a keyboard and mouse and monitor but in terms of keeping up with the tech the mac mini is not going to go the distance, nor are you getting the best mac for the dollar. Video tech changes frequently, DVD-r +r firewire, firewire 800, ata serial ata agp pcie ahhhh it hurts. I used to do 3d work on a G3 can't do that anymore. The software has changed so much FCP 5 won't run on a g3 and even some G4 single chip configs.

The mini is a system that is designed for the living room (I'm using it to serve my HD pre renders to my HD display for broadcast preview and of course stream itunes but I won't tell my accountant that) or home office, simple DVD's and perhaps a quick edit in imovie but final cut pro? Really? I've got to give it a shot when my mini comes in. I really didn't think it would be possible. I mean FCP isn't even dual binary yet. Has apple made any announcement for the update?

I think as time goes by it'll be more and more obvious that the mini is designed for getting your media out of the computer and into home entertainment. Many of the changes to the latest model reflect that already including integrated GFX which implies that the machine is designed to complete a single task at any given time.
  • Reply 63 of 65
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

Corporations lease complete systems. They don't keep their crusty monitors lying around for general staff. So if you think the Mac mini will make headway into corporations you just lack the experience on how such business decisions are made.

The iMac is the system that will make the largest inroads into Corporate America.

Obviouly what I said doesn't apply to a fortune 500 company or something like that.

Why does everyone act like every business is a multi billion dollar one? I don't remember ever mentioning corporate america or any company that wouldn't bat an eyelash at a computer expense.

I live in Toronto and their are plenty of businesses just like the one I outlined and just like I said REGULAR businesses.

There's no need to leture me about corporate america's computer liscenses, that's not relevant to what I was talking about.

It would be unrealistic to think companies like that touch macs anyways.
  • Reply 64 of 65
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Spliff Monkey, Apple has stated that the entire Final Cut Studio suite will be available this month (March) as a Universal Binary for $50 to current users. A Dual 1Ghz Powermac G4 of years ago is more than adequate for DV editing, so a Mac Mini 1.67Ghz Core Duo would be a fantastic Final Cut machine. Quite frankly a $1,999 PowerMac G5 would be total overkill. If the integrated graphics chip doesn't at least support Motion's installation, it will be a damn shame. In a Video Production house, only your graphics guys need machines beefy enough to animate quickly in Motion and work with After Effects. For the crew that handles the video editing, a Core Duo Mac Mini would do more than adequate for DV and many formats above that. If these systems can't support Motion because of their Integrated Graphics, it'll exclude them from the workflow entirely (they need to support it in order to understand the codecs for rendering, exporting, etc).

Remember, up until January the fastest Apple portable you could get was a 1.67Ghz Powerbook G4, and plenty of people have been using those for on-the-go HD editing.
  • Reply 65 of 65
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by theapplegenius

Ouch...thank god for my 7800GTX.

For my Radeon 9550 even!