Development of Mac OS X 10.4.6 progresses

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

It would be nice to fix OS 9 support.

When OS 9 was carried off stage in a coffin, did that not send a clear message to its future support?
  • Reply 22 of 45
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

When OS 9 was carried off stage in a coffin, did that not send a clear message to its future support?

I use both, since contrary to popular opinion, the rest of the world does not have access to the best and newest hardware and software.

I just recently finished a 4 year stint working with Chinese manufacturers, and for the great majority of the time I have been stuck working with apps in OS9 on my G4 because they use older systems. I have been using OSX on my G5 for other more progressive clients. However, for expensive apps that I could not afford to upgrade to OSX, they stay on 9.

A simple CAD app still works a hell of a lot smoother on OS9 than on X. I don't care who says otherwise.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Mail is kind of...bad...on Tiger. Spotlight searching kind of...doesn't really work. Like I'll type in the word excellence, which was in an email a few days ago, and nothing shows up. Umm yeah...yeeaaah...And those buttons, man are they stupid.

Finishing Safari and iChat would be kind of nice too. They both kind...aren't really at 1.0 yet. More like .9 or 1.0 Public Beta. They are kind of...not done. Yet.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I hope it fixes the issue where Quicktime crashes playing more than 1 H264 movie.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

I use both, since contrary to popular opinion, the rest of the world does not have access to the best and newest hardware and software.

I just recently finished a 4 year stint working with Chinese manufacturers, and for the great majority of the time I have been stuck working with apps in OS9 on my G4 because they use older systems. I have been using OSX on my G5 for other more progressive clients. However, for expensive apps that I could not afford to upgrade to OSX, they stay on 9.

A simple CAD app still works a hell of a lot smoother on OS9 than on X. I don't care who says otherwise.

Then the CAD developers better get to porting their application.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    cjrcjr Posts: 6member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

What's raccoon networking, precioussss, what's raccoon networking?

Racoon is used to support VPNs (virtual private networks) using the IPSEC standard. The other common VPN protocol used is Microsoft's PPTP.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cjr

Racoon is used to support VPNs (virtual private networks) using the IPSEC standard. The other common VPN protocol used is Microsoft's PPTP.

Thanks for the info, cjr...and thank you, mdriftmeyer. I had never heard the term before...I had also assumed it was just another typo (amongst all the other) and started searching for 'raccoon networking' instead of 'racoon'.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Mail is kind of...bad...on Tiger. Spotlight searching kind of...doesn't really work. Like I'll type in the word excellence, which was in an email a few days ago, and nothing shows up. Umm yeah...yeeaaah...And those buttons, man are they stupid.

Finishing Safari and iChat would be kind of nice too. They both kind...aren't really at 1.0 yet. More like .9 or 1.0 Public Beta. They are kind of...not done. Yet.

I would sort of agree with the Mail stuff. I only use Mail and really like it. The one thing that drives me crazy about it (besides the buttons) is that if it hangs up, there is no way to cancel it other than force quit. It will just beachball forever...

This usually happens to me when I log into a hotel wireless connection. The hotel connection may make me sign in with user name and password, etc. During this time, Mail notices I have a connection and starts to connect, only it can't because I am still trying to get the hotel connection to agree to let me on.

Beachball city in Mail. Usually force quit and start all over.

I search for things in the Mail search box vs. in Spotlight and all seems well for me there.

I think Leopard is where we will see the button changes and things that matter. These dot updates won't do any of that.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Anyone had stability issues with...Calculator?

What is causing problems? Multiplying with 23?
  • Reply 30 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Anyone had stability issues with...Calculator?

What is causing problems? Multiplying with 23?

Heh. There was a longish period last year when it couldn't successfully download the current exchange rates. Maybe they're making that more robust.

During the same period, Panther's calculator crashed trying to get the updates, so Tiger's calculator is already a bit more stable
  • Reply 31 of 45
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:

Originally posted by speed_the_collapse

If your concerns about Mail have to do with the security flaw, just download the latest security update. It fixes Mail and Safari.

No I don't think about security at all, never had any problems and always update!

My concern is the speed and efficiency of 'Mail', hence why I said it needs a kick up the arse!
  • Reply 32 of 45
    johnhoodjohnhood Posts: 24member
    Lets hope it's snappier!
  • Reply 33 of 45
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Like I'll type in the word excellence, which was in an email a few days ago, and nothing shows up.

Puzzled me too until I realized that you have to select the location of where to search - the buttons along the top of the message list that only appear AFTER you entered your search term. If you are looking for a message in the Sent box and you have Inbox selected on those buttons, you'll get a blank results list. Spotlight does the same thing.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Puzzled me too until I realized that you have to select the location of where to search - the buttons along the top of the message list that only appear AFTER you entered your search term. If you are looking for a message in the Sent box and you have Inbox selected on those buttons, you'll get a blank results list. Spotlight does the same thing.

No, no. When someone sends an email to my yahoo acc. (fast)

Mail is 3x slower at least, sometimes 10x.

And on sending mail.............don't get me started.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

No, no. When someone sends an email to my yahoo acc. (fast)

Mail is 3x slower at least, sometimes 10x.

And on sending mail.............don't get me started.

I know they recently hired one of the IMAP gods (Cyrus Daboo, of Mulberry fame) so perhaps that will improve some of the architectural reasons for the network problems. (I don't think Mail is so slow, but YMMV.) I'm sure they won't let Cyrus near the UI, in case you were worrying

I've also heard it mentioned that CoreFoundation's SSL support is quite slow, though this was in the context of a comparison between Safari and possibly Firefox and not Mail. But that would impact any other app using CoreFoundation for SSL networking, like Mail.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    Thanks for the info, sound!
  • Reply 37 of 45
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    I hope they address Flash and Macromedia plug-in issues. I need to download the plug-ins for Flash development and cannot get to them due to the Macromedia site not recognizing my Intel Mac. Hopefully some adjustments to Rosetta will help this issue until it is fixed by Adobe.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cjr

Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Thanks for the info, cjr...and thank you, mdriftmeyer. I had never heard the term before...I had also assumed it was just another typo (amongst all the other) and started searching for 'raccoon networking' instead of 'racoon'.

I second this! Raccoon networking was new to me too, and I know a lot!
  • Reply 39 of 45
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cjr

I know they recently hired one of the IMAP gods (Cyrus Daboo, of Mulberry fame) so perhaps that will improve some of the architectural reasons for the network problems.

Ahh, that's very interesting (to me anyway). Where'd you hear that news, if you can say? I'm pleased since I was suggesting Apple hire him shortly after the ISAMET/Cyrusoft bankruptcy announcement. Now there's tangible hope that some of Mulberry's better features and ideas will have influence on future versions of Apple Mail.

Quote:

(I don't think Mail is so slow, but YMMV.) I'm sure they won't let Cyrus near the UI, in case you were worrying

I have a hunch he'd be glad not to.

Now I'm inspired to send a bunch of overdue requests for Mail. The drain-bamaged message threading has been particularly irritating lately.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by sjk

Ahh, that's very interesting (to me anyway). Where'd you hear that news, if you can say?

A colleague of mine is active in the IETF particularly in the IMAP/SIEVE area, so he knows Cyrus.

Quote:

I'm pleased since I was suggesting Apple hire him shortly after the ISAMET/Cyrusoft bankruptcy announcement. Now there's tangible hope that some of Mulberry's better features and ideas will have influence on future versions of Apple Mail.

Mulberry was a very good IMAP client, may it RIP. The UI was a little clunky, but it was very network efficient. At the time I used it, it was also the only decent client for Linux...