So what is your thought on John C. Dvorak's article?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

There's nothing wrong with eliminating redundancies. And this would open up a giant market for Mac developers.

But they won't be Mac developers anymore.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Exactly.

It's possible to make OSX better by basing it off Windows.

Again, Apple doesn't buy its own marketing crap ("Intel sucks" "Windows sucks") like their loyalists do.

There's nothing wrong with eliminating redundancies. And this would open up a giant market for Mac developers.

I'm not sure I understand what you're referring to when you talk of eliminating redundancies. As far as marketing, most people take it with a grain of salt. When you're pushing your products you tout it's advantages and disparage your competitors. Nothing new here.

I'm not sure what Apple could do to enhance windows that would appeal mac users or windows users for that matter. If they base their os off windows then they are basically saying it's the best and we can't do better. Why wouldn't I just use windows in this case. What would apple offer users? Some cosmetic improvements? A little make-up?

Say Apple did take this approach and ditched osx and built a shell on top of windows. If it were to gain market share, you don't think MS wouldn't view this as a competitve threat? You don't think MS wouldn't do everything it could to thwart it's success? Doesn't MS have a history of crushing ISV that use it's platform to develope a market? Seems to me under this senario the best Apple could hope for is a 5% market share. Hell, with the 4.5% market share they have now, they seem to have MS's attention.

It's undeniable that MS enjoys complete domination in the market share of OS. But fortunes can change in business. Look at the inroads that AMD has made in the cpu market against Intel. Look at the success the Japanese automakers have. At one time it was considered unthinkable that foreign automakers would dominate the US auto market, but they do. They did it by making a better product. Apple can do it to, IMO.

If Apple truely believes Windows is better and is untouchable, then they should get into business consulting. I understand IBM makes decent money in this.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aten

Will Apple Adopt Windows?

Dvork laid the bait, and I'm pretty surprised how many people went for it.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Yeah, that essentially sums up my thoughts as well.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

What's wrong with debating things? Dvorak "laid the bait" for the Intel switch as well, and I'm sure a couple of Apple fanboi's laughed at him then too.

Guess who's laughing now.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

But they won't be Mac developers anymore.

Not necessarily true. Sure, it wouldn't be smart for them to be Mac-only at that point, but I don't think it is impossible to have a Yellow Box transition period.

backtomac:

Quote:

I'm not sure I understand what you're referring to when you talk of eliminating redundancies.

Both MacOSX and Windows do almost exactly the same things.

And to all but the most fiercely loyal Apple fanboy it is pretty obvious that whatever structural advantages OSX has over Windows are either soon to be gone or eventually to be gone.

Quote:

I'm not sure what Apple could do to enhance windows that would appeal mac users or windows users for that matter.

With a proper amount of work they could make it look and behave almost exactly like it does now. Half-assed "developer" kids with the proper skinning tools can radically change the way Windows looks and operates and Apple's folk are far more talented.

Apple would have to license Windows from Microsoft, so what does Microsoft care as long as the checks are coming in and clearing the bank?

I'm not saying this is a no-brainer and Apple should do it immediately, but it would be pretty stupid of them to not even keep up with it.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

And to all but the most fiercely loyal Apple fanboy it is pretty obvious that whatever structural advantages OSX has over Windows are either soon to be gone or eventually to be gone.

Apple would have to license Windows from Microsoft, so what does Microsoft care as long as the checks are coming in and clearing the bank?

That's if Apple stands still. Continued innovation and developement separates you from your competitor. This beneficial to the consumer. You think Intel would be bringing these new chips, which look pretty impressive, to market if AMD wasn't chipping awy at their market share?

They have always cared. Why do they view Google as a competitor? They want market share and mind share. I can't see them allowing anyone to come in challenge their authority and superiority of the desktop with out a fight.