Apple "MacBook" filing suggests iBook re-branding

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

Makes me wonder when they'll get around to rebranding iTunes as MacTunes...or MacTainment... or Mac Music 'n' Video Rent-To-Own.

Back off there, buddy lol. They're rebranding Macs not Mac applications.
  • Reply 42 of 54
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

No.

If you're talking about Mac, in the real world, people think: "Hey, McDonalds".

If you say iMac, in the real world, people think: "A computer, right?"

What's wrong with iMac?

If the "iMac" has to renamed to "Mac", so has the MacBook (Pro). Mac mini, Mac Pro, etc.

Sorry, but I have no idea what you are talking about there??.. They are already called Apple Mac mini, Apple Macbook Pro and the future possible Apple Mac, Apple Mac Pro and Apple Macbook.

Not everyone associates mac with mcdonalds, in fact I associate a steam pile of hot turd in relation to mcdonalds. Maybe an apple mac then is a mcdonalds supplied hot apple crumble..
  • Reply 43 of 54
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

Makes me wonder when they'll get around to rebranding iTunes as MacTunes...or MacTainment... or Mac Music 'n' Video Rent-To-Own.

But seriously, I've been thinking they may be prepping new brand lines. Remember, before the Mac there was Lisa, and Quadra, and Centris, etc.

Maybe the new consumer entertainment lines will have a different brand name... Apple MobileMe... you get the point.

At MW didn't Steve say that Apple was moving all their computers to the Macintosh brand? To me this opens Apple up for a whole new, non-computer product line. I think that at the end of the month we will see Apple announce a new product to stand beside and with the iPod and the Macintosh. -- My hope is a network capable living room entertainment device.

BTW, The Quadra and Centris were Macs. The Lisa was the Macs' predecessor.
  • Reply 44 of 54
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsxrboy

Sorry, but I have no idea what you are talking about there??.. They are already called Apple Mac mini, Apple Macbook Pro and the future possible Apple Mac, Apple Mac Pro and Apple Macbook.

Not everyone associates mac with mcdonalds, in fact I associate a steam pile of hot turd in relation to mcdonalds. Maybe an apple mac then is a mcdonalds supplied hot apple crumble..

Okay the Mcdonalds association is not very good.

But.

What is the Mac?

For most it means either a Mac mini, MacBook Pro, iMac, Powermac, Mac Pro, iBook, Power Macintosh 9600, Performa 5260, Xserve or whatever. It's the platform that makes any Mac a Mac.

What happens if you give a computer model the name of a group of computers?

And will you do it consequently, all your models should have the same name.

Alla, I am rambling

[edit: grammar]
  • Reply 45 of 54
    catman4d2catman4d2 Posts: 174member
    Good news folks..... those who are so bent about IG ,I`m pretty picky too,but... I played with the new mac mini core duo,at the store,and ive got to tell you that the graphics look gorgeous!!!! pictures in iphoto look great,large Images? STELLAR! the web? Awesome! Imovie was snappy and looked great,performed well,so whats the fuss?

of course its not like the 2.16 macbook pro which,i`ll be fucked if its not like looking through a window at people in some of the demo iphotos!!! which im sure DVD would look breath taking on,but its "the mini" close enough and very good!

take some money that you might save from buying one with "an actual card" and stock up on ram if your so concerned about performance in your next ibook. 0.2 cents
  • Reply 46 of 54
    vochvoch Posts: 28member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Catman4d2

Good news folks..... those who are so bent about IG ,I`m pretty picky too,but... I played with the new mac mini core duo,at the store,and ive got to tell you that the graphics look gorgeous!!!! pictures in iphoto look great,large Images? STELLAR! the web? Awesome! Imovie was snappy and looked great,performed well,so whats the fuss?

Newer 3D games (Doom III, World of Warcraft) and 3D modeling software (CINEMA 4D, benchmark-able for free by the CINEBENCH software) will run poorly because of the lack of a "real" GPU.

But if you care not for such things (like me...I'm a MacMAME player and Java developer) then they're not bad machines.
  • Reply 47 of 54
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Catman4d2

of course its not like the 2.16 macbook pro which,i`ll be fucked if its not like looking through a window at people in some of the demo iphotos!!! which im sure DVD would look breath taking on,but its "the mini" close enough and very good!

take some money that you might save from buying one with "an actual card" and stock up on ram if your so concerned about performance in your next ibook. 0.2 cents

good news there..

• Reply 48 of 54
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aresee

At MW didn't Steve say that Apple was moving all their computers to the Macintosh brand? To me this opens Apple up for a whole new, non-computer product line. I think that at the end of the month we will see Apple announce a new product to stand beside and with the iPod and the Macintosh. -- My hope is a network capable living room entertainment device.

BTW, The Quadra and Centris were Macs. The Lisa was the Macs' predecessor.

You are correct, and you got my point. 8)
  • Reply 49 of 54
    tubgirltubgirl Posts: 177member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Voch

Newer 3D games (Doom III, World of Warcraft) and 3D modeling software (CINEMA 4D, benchmark-able for free by the CINEBENCH software) will run poorly because of the lack of a "real" GPU.

in anything geometrically intensive, i expect the g4 mini to be faster than, or at least on par with, the core solo mini.

the core duo got enough hrmph to push both geometry and 'regular' code at the same time. (and at good speeds...)

Quote:

Originally posted by Voch

But if you care not for such things (like me...I'm a MacMAME player and Java developer) then they're not bad machines.

sure it is a good machine!

some of us even seem to find it a bit too potent for their needs. (read expensive...)
  • Reply 50 of 54
    peharripeharri Posts: 169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dazabrit

I have got a horrible feeling that this means there will be another overhaul of the iMac, which will become The 'Mac'.

Why a horrible feeling? Unless they're planning IG in "The Mac", I don't see a problem.

What I'd like to see, as someone else commented upon, is a mid-range headless Mac. Maybe they can call it "The Cube"...
  • Reply 51 of 54
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    Quote:

Originally posted by peharri

Why a horrible feeling? Unless they're planning IG in "The Mac", I don't see a problem.

What I'd like to see, as someone else commented upon, is a mid-range headless Mac. Maybe they can call it "The Cube"...

Hello! Apple already had one out.. But not anymore.. Where have you been? lol

• Reply 52 of 54
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by peharri

Lets get one thing straight:

iMac = iMac

So, no more "Mac" or "Mac Mac" or "Mac all-in-one " bullshit,

okay.

The Cube?

nonono that will be: "Mac Cube"
  • Reply 53 of 54
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Are current iBooks not selling well? Wifey just got a new iBook at work as did two other people. Two of these brand new iBooks (from the local Apple Store) would not let the user register the computer during the intitial setup process. The system explained that the iBooks were more that 90 days old and thus could not be registered as new. A couple of phone calls and a code off of the sale receipt fixed the problem.

I have to wonder why these iBooks sat on the shelf for 90 days. Sounds to me like the Mac Book needs to hurry up and get here already.
  • Reply 54 of 54
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by WelshDog

Are current iBooks not selling well? Wifey just got a new iBook at work as did two other people. Two of these brand new iBooks (from the local Apple Store) would not let the user register the computer during the intitial setup process. The system explained that the iBooks were more that 90 days old and thus could not be registered as new. A couple of phone calls and a code off of the sale receipt fixed the problem.

I have to wonder why these iBooks sat on the shelf for 90 days. Sounds to me like the Mac Book needs to hurry up and get here already.

Two Reasons

1) Anticipation of new models.

2) NO price discounts. Either Apple has correctly predicted the demand for the old iBooks and have adjusted the inventory, or they like sitting on old iBooks.