Mobile Me = Apple's UMPC?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Just a fun little guess, but considering:

*All of Apple's recent touchscreen patents

*Apple's move to Intel (due to, surely, more than just faster chips)

*The upcoming Intel UMPC (Ultra MOBILE PC)

*Apple's disdain for "tablets"

... could Mobile Me be Apple's branding for its Intel UMPC? It technically isn't a tablet, since Intel is positioning it as a whole new breed of device (though let's face it, it is rather mini-tabletesque). Apple would want to leverage the technology in a very Apple way... it isn't a Mobile PC, it's about what the Mobile platform can DO for your life.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    My wild guess is the iBook name will be rebranded for the dual touchscreen UMPC. It will play on the iPod branding. Mobile Me will be software & services for the device.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Here is what Engadget had to about the Microsoft Origami device that was to have us so worried...

So we managed to get our hands on an Samsung Q1 / Origami device set to roll tomorrow here at CeBIT. Don't ask how, but it'll be awhile before we recover from the brutal caning we just received. From the five minutes we spent with it we can tell you, well, it?s an XP Tablet PC with a 7-inch display. Sorry, that?s about it, nothing earth-shattering here folks. In fact, for all the hype, it?s hard to find anything revolutionary or even evolutionary in the hardware specs or loaded software (perhaps that will come when the price is announced). Sure, Samsung did call it a prototype unit, but the final prototype prior to manufacture won't see much changed other than a "brighter TFT LCD" we were told.

Now, beyond what we saw earlier today, Samsung will release their UMPC / Origami device with optional GPS and DVB-T mobile digital TV expansion modules, as well as WiBRO support for when that goes live in Korea around June. The version we grabbed, the Q1, also supports Bluetooth 2.0 with A2DP and sports a 30GB hard disk. Unfortunately the whole thing just felt wrong in the hands ? very plasticy and without substance. Take a look for yourselves after the break, we've got tons more shots.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    The fact that Intel calls it UMPC and it is only Origami with Microsoft extensions means there's no reason why Apple can't use the UMPC hardware reference for their own version. Does UMPC use EFI?
  • Reply 4 of 31
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Too...many...acronyms....
  • Reply 5 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

• Reply 6 of 31
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

aka, "TMA"
  • Reply 7 of 31
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    No, no... it's TMT.

Too Many TLAs.*

*Three Letter Acronym

C'mon, give it at least *one* level of acronymic indirection!
  • Reply 8 of 31
    thataboythataboy Posts: 47member
    I would love a device like this.

The UMPCs that just came out are HIDEOUS. I know Apple could really do it right.

Imagine... in iPod white or black, smaller bezel, with a clickwheel on one side, maybe a Mighty Mouse nipple on the other

Includes Ink, AirController to handle AirTunes remote control, full OS X, expresscard slot for future EVDO...

I don't like Microsoft's DialKeys implementation. I say either go with a slide-out keyboard, or keep it all handwriting-based.

I know this is all a pipe-dream. It's all way too "Newton 2" for Steve.

But I would SO buy one (especially if they could get the price down around $699-$799).
  • Reply 9 of 31
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Once again, what I would like to see... Would be great for keeping on top of the network/servers...

8" widescreen multi-touch LCD

1.06GHz ULV Core Duo CPU w/2MB shared cache

533MHz FSB

512MB NAND flash memory

2GB DDR2 SDRAM (two SO-DIMM slots)

80GB 1.8" HDD

Intel GMA950 integrated GPU

WUSB (wireless USB)

AirPort Extreme

BlueTooth

Quad band cell capabilities

Pivoting iSight camera

stereo BlueTooth headset w/microphone

Stylus

About the size of a DVD case (which is really close to a 16:10 ratio) and half again as thick...

US$666

Happy 30th Birthday Apple Computer
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

Once again, what I would like to see... Would be great for keeping on top of the network/servers...

1.06GHz ULV Core Duo CPU w/2MB shared cache

533MHz FSB

512MB NAND flash memory

2GB DDR2 SDRAM (two SO-DIMM slots)

80GB 1.8" HDD

WUSB (wireless USB)

AirPort Extreme

BlueTooth

Quad band cell capabilities

Pivoting iSight camera

Stylus

About the size of a DVD case (which is really close to a 16:10 ratio) and half again as thick...

US$666

Happy 30th Birthday Apple Computer

Apart from the price that should be doable, although I doubt you'll see onboard WUSB or NAND yet.

My ideal specs:

1.67GHz Core Duo CPU w/2MB shared cache

533MHz FSB

1GB DDR2 SDRAM (two SO-DIMM slots)

80GB 2.5" SATA HDD

2 USB

1 Firewire

ExpressCard54 slot

AirPort Extreme

BlueTooth

Pivoting iSight camera

Stylus

All for $799. I'd buy.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat

Apart from the price that should be doable, although I doubt you'll see onboard WUSB or NAND yet.

My ideal specs:

1.67GHz Core Duo CPU w/2MB shared cache

533MHz FSB

1GB DDR2 SDRAM (two SO-DIMM slots)

80GB 2.5" SATA HDD

2 USB

1 Firewire

ExpressCard54 slot

AirPort Extreme

BlueTooth

Pivoting iSight camera

Stylus

All for $799. I'd buy.

Your CPU is too big/too hot... And your bus speed is wrong for that speed of CPU...

That is why I went with the Ultra-Low Voltage unit; only 1.06GHz, but OS X loves dualies... And the low speed makes it run cooler, thereby decreasing cooling needs (and increasing battery life)

I went with 2Gb of RAM because I am using integrated graphics, which leech from system RAM... More system RAM, better overall system performance & graphics capabilities...

Your HDD is also too big (physically), I want this product to be as slim as possible... Hence the 1.8" HDD (a la iPod)

The NAND is in there to keep things in NAND & RAM as much as possible, thereby reducing HDD activity, and reducing battery consumption...

I also went with the Wireless USB because I am trying to keep any openings in the units housing as minimal as possible... Although the ExpressCard/34 slot would be nice for interfacing the unit with various sensors/probes... Might also be useful to swap out various utility cards, Cellphone card, GPS card, etc. ...

The US$666 price point is a direct reference to the US$666 price point of the original Apple computer when introduced at the Homebrew Computer Club way back when...

;^p
  • Reply 12 of 31
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    C'mon apple.............moblie ME!
  • Reply 13 of 31
    A friend of a friend told me he overheard a guy in an elevator talking about how Mobile Me referred to a new Apple cell service to be used with a new Apple iPhonePodPDA.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gdconway

... elevator ...

• Reply 15 of 31
    s/elevator/bar/
  • Reply 16 of 31
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gdconway

A friend of a friend told me he overheard a guy in an elevator talking about how Mobile Me referred to a new Apple cell service to be used with a new Apple iPhonePodPDA.

Yeah, that was probably me. I constantly blabber on with BS like this anytime I'm on an elevator. I actually don't know anything (or any of the elevator passengers for that matter) beyond the stuff I read hear.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

US$666

Nice.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

Nice.

Nice with the joint smoking smily face because I must be high to suggest such a low price...?!?

Nice, etc. because I used a number synonymous with the fabled "Number of the Beast"...?!?

Or, nice because you also get the reference to the original pricing of Apple's first hardware product, the handbuilt Apple...?!?

From a handbuilt computer causing a revolution in the newborn PC market, to a handheld computer causing a revolution in the somewhat stagnating PC market...

Or maybe I am just too !
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Trouble is Apple rarely does such low pricing. The TAM was 10k!

I fear we have no hope for a UMPC under 1k, if at all.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    The TAM was also sold in a very different era of Apple, with a leadership focussed on quarterly results and profit margins *instead* of products.