Apple World Wide Developers Conference 2006 slated for August

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 42
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Xool

    I suspect the delay has more to do with Mac OS X Leopard than the new Mac Pro towers. This pushes the event closer to Vista's release date, giving MS less time to "start their photocopiers" and giving Apple a slight advantage.





    Not just this - remember the OS X team have been busy moving over the entire OS to Intel. I expect the delay is because they need longer for Leopard - but it might be because of MS. Although MS have finished Vista's feature list already. If Vista and OS X Leopard go on sale at the same time - they can be compared properly and OS X will win - I'm sure!



    I can't wait for August!
  • Reply 22 of 42
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Xool

    IThis pushes the event closer to Vista's release date, giving MS less time to "start their photocopiers" ...



    Are you aware that the last preview edition of Vista was announced "feature compleate" and we chould see RC1 in a few weeks, and I would guess RC 2 and maybe 3 in the summer with the last RC being Very close to the Gold Master (the image that is sent to OEMs and CD/DVD manufacture).



    Too late for the copiers now
  • Reply 23 of 42
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by MacCrazy

    Not just this - remember the OS X team have been busy moving over the entire OS to Intel. I expect the delay is because they need longer for Leopard - but it might be because of MS. Although MS have finished Vista's feature list already. If Vista and OS X Leopard go on sale at the same time - they can be compared properly and OS X will win - I'm sure!





    Is the time between WWDC keynote+7days(allowing time for dev media to ship and be setup) and Vistas launch date, which as of now is "fall" (I would assume mid september so they could have vista in the box stores for the holidays) enough time for devs to become compatible and do the needed testing?
  • Reply 24 of 42
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Well, Apple certainly likes to catch people off guard, so however unlikely this may be, I thought I might just suggest it:



    WWDC - Apple says, "BAM", we will ship OS X Leopard on this date (around the time of vista) and here are the features: x, y, & z.



    This gives them the Holiday Shopping Season, no time for Windows to copy, stealing Vista's thunder, element of suprise and thus free advirtising. Also, since new Macs come out around the time of OS X releases, it would be the perfect time for a PowerMac. PowerMac and iMac in sept/oct, iBook/Mac Mini in January.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,334member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by a_greer

    Is the time between WWDC keynote+7days(allowing time for dev media to ship and be setup) and Vistas launch date, which as of now is "fall" (I would assume mid september so they could have vista in the box stores for the holidays) enough time for devs to become compatible and do the needed testing?



    Vista is scheduled for the holiday season. It's been assumed that that means November something, 'till December 31st.



    As Gates, and a couple of others from MS have also said; unless it's delayed for *quality reasons*.



    But that would never happen, right?
  • Reply 26 of 42
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by melgross

    But that would never happen, right?



    IIRC, Vista was to be Windows 2004...the delay happend long ago
  • Reply 27 of 42
    akheron01akheron01 Posts: 152member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by icfireball

    Apple says, "BAM", we will ship OS X Leopard on this date (around the time of vista) and here are the features: x, y, & z.



    Haha! Bam? Who is this? Emeril Lagase? I totally agree that this is what Apple has in mind! Apple is known to announce the features of their upcoming operating systems at WWDC, and I really hope they'll have some amazing features! Perhaps a new killer feature in OS X is exactly the kind of quality issues Billy G is talking about
  • Reply 28 of 42
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    MIDDLE OF AUGUST!?!?!?



    Are they nuts??? Who the hell is NOT going to be on holidays??



    Well, at least 3/4 of Europe ain't workin' that point.



    I'm VERY GLAD that MacOS X is slowing down.. I know too many people who are pissed off that they "just bought" a computer last year and want to use apps that are 10.4 only... OSX should really slow down to 2 to 3 years, also so that Apple doesnt start delivering crap since there is so much pressure to deliver more innovation.



    10.4 has SO much that normal users are starting to get a bit overwhelmed.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ZO

    MIDDLE OF AUGUST!?!?!?



    Are they nuts??? Who the hell is NOT going to be on holidays??



    Well, at least 3/4 of Europe ain't workin' that point.



    I'm VERY GLAD that MacOS X is slowing down.. I know too many people who are pissed off that they "just bought" a computer last year and want to use apps that are 10.4 only... OSX should really slow down to 2 to 3 years, also so that Apple doesnt start delivering crap since there is so much pressure to deliver more innovation.



    10.4 has SO much that normal users are starting to get a bit overwhelmed.




    No.





    Bring on the updates! Bring on the new features!



    Bring on the Finder Fix!!
  • Reply 30 of 42
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,358member
    Quote:

    Well, at least 3/4 of Europe ain't workin' that point



    What???



    WTF am I doing in the US? I want most of my August off
  • Reply 31 of 42
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by hmurchison

    What???



    WTF am I doing in the US? I want most of my August off




    It's one of the most frustrating things you have to deal with when working in the UK with French colleagues. Most of France and a fair chunk of Mediterranean Europe take the whole of August off. You just can't get anything done with the rest of Europe in August.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Hmm. I think that with a couple buddies we can invade Europe in August and no one would be the wiser. I always wanted to be an old-timey feudal king.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,334member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ZO

    MIDDLE OF AUGUST!?!?!?



    Are they nuts??? Who the hell is NOT going to be on holidays??



    Well, at least 3/4 of Europe ain't workin' that point.



    I'm VERY GLAD that MacOS X is slowing down.. I know too many people who are pissed off that they "just bought" a computer last year and want to use apps that are 10.4 only... OSX should really slow down to 2 to 3 years, also so that Apple doesnt start delivering crap since there is so much pressure to deliver more innovation.



    10.4 has SO much that normal users are starting to get a bit overwhelmed.




    Who cares?



    This is a developers conference. It's not something to bring the kids to.



    If European developers need to go, they will.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    If they have the free all-you-can-eat Krispy Kreme donuts again this year, I'm there.



    After thrilling the crowd with them in 2003, the bastards didn't have them in 2004.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by akheron01

    Haha! Bam? Who is this? Emeril Lagase?



    Steve Jobs says BAM a lot in his Keynotes.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by icfireball

    Steve Jobs says BAM a lot in his Keynotes.



    IIRC it's boom - not that I'm trying to be pedantic! Anyway - I'm more interested in Leopard than Vista - I'll be quite shocked though if they release it soon after WWDC. Last time it was 10 months from WWDC to Tiger introduction and this time allowed developers to comment on the unsightly Apple menu and dashboard organisation. I feel that a lack of developer contribution may make this new release weaker.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    I think the "delay" is smart, and I was expecting this because:



    1. It really doesn't give Microsoft any time to steal Leopard features. By August, features must be frozen.



    2. It gives Apple more time to develop the beta of Leopard. Given the fact that Vista is a knock off of OS X--with many things that are better--Apple needs to ensure 10.5 is an epic leap of an upgrade to make Vista look like an out-of-date copy of a five year old OS.



    I really hope Jobs understands what is at stake here. Leopard must be the leap that OS X was over OS9.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by BWhaler

    1. It really doesn't give Microsoft any time to steal Leopard features. By August, features must be frozen.



    I think you're over-estimating how many shits Microsoft gives about Apple. Here's a clue - it's not more than two.



    Apart from that, even if Apple released Leopard today, MS wouldn't be able to copy it by the Vista ship date anyway. They just don't work that quickly.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by aegisdesign

    Apart from that, even if Apple released Leopard today, MS wouldn't be able to copy it by the Vista ship date anyway. They just don't work that quickly.



    And the fact the the feature list has been finalised! Although Apple will be able to steal ideas from Windows - making Leopard even greater.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    I just hope Apple dosn't blow it by releasing some overly-hyped but not substantial upgrade.
Sign In or Register to comment.