The rich and the hungry

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac on a Mac

Sorry, your clueless of how things get done. People don't have to give until they themselves are poor to do a lot of good for others.

• Reply 22 of 26
    nauticalnautical Posts: 109member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

That's what governments do, all of them, distribute and redistribute wealth...

Yes. Unfortunately.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    That is why Bono, Bill Gates, and his wife are the people of the year. They spend around 5% of their wealth while having the media following them and are considered saints.

Hey Bono, I'm sure that starving african children really love hearing you sing your greatest hits while a hoard of camera men get every moment of it.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JohnnySmith

That is why Bono, Bill Gates, and his wife are the people of the year. They spend around 5% of their wealth

How do you know what % of their $ is given away?
  • Reply 25 of 26
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JohnnySmith

That is why Bono, Bill Gates, and his wife are the people of the year. They spend around 5% of their wealth while having the media following them and are considered saints.

Hey Bono, I'm sure that starving african children really love hearing you sing your greatest hits while a hoard of camera men get every moment of it.

Bill Gates spent $30 billion, and has $50 billion left. Not only is 37.5% a lot more than 5%, but he has committed to give most of the rest to his foundation as well.

Also, I doubt that he cares about the publicity. If getting rich is like sex, the fame that goes with it is the associated venerial disease.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac on a Mac

"It is a problem of redistribution."

There we go. Lets have government "redistribute" the wealth. Ah, that system has not worked too well.

It's working pretty well here in my little country...

Everybody has health insurance and a basic income.

Of course it's not absolute redistribution as (at least theoretically) in communist societies. I guess in the Netherlands (and a lot of other European countries) it's about halfway the old communist ideal and the system in the US.

Here, the richer you are, the higher the percentage of your income you have to pay in taxes. That way those who can, take care of those who can't or at least provide a basic standard of living for them.

I'm very happy I have the luxury of living in this system that IMHO has the best of both worlds!