Best HTML / PHP Editor?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi,

I'm currently using jEdit to edit and create HTML & PHP files, but the program isn't that good.

Is there any others out there that are better?

Thanks,

Steven.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    vim or emacs maybe?

Are there any specific requirements you place on your editor?
  • Reply 2 of 31
    scarecrowscarecrow Posts: 148member
    I am old school... and have been using PageSpinner since OS 8 days... it is great.

Otherwise, the 800 lb (and dollar) gorilla of this market is BBedit.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    I use NVU because I don't know shit from html.

--B
  • Reply 4 of 31
    You might want to try out something from Bare Bones Software such as TextWrangler or the more powerful BBEdit. I personally use TextMate which I like very much. There are also ways of configuring and extending XCode to function as a PHP editor and I think it already has some basic PHP coloring already built in. If you're interested in more of a full IDE including debugging tools and more you should look into the cross-platform Zend Studio. You could, of course, always just use textedit
  • Reply 5 of 31
    Hi, and thanks for the replies.

TextEdit is hopeless for HTML editing, apart from anything else it looses all my tabbing.

I'll try out BBEdit, TextWrangler or TextMate

Thanks.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    one vote for textmate from me.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

vim or emacs maybe?

Why the heck do you force a Terminal-based editor on yourself, and suggest it to this new user?

I use Dreamweaver for HTML and hand-code most of my PHP in Dreamweaver's code view for the coloring. If you want to be a wee bit more hardcore, I've heard good things about BBedit.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Why the heck do you force a Terminal-based editor on yourself, and suggest it to this new user?

because it gives those people a sense of geek superiority.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    BBEdit. I've used it for my development needs for years now. It is a programmers best friend.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

vim or emacs maybe?

I wouldn't curse anyone with vi unless they really really knew what they were getting in to.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    hmm, i didn't realise you had to pay for both BBedit and TextMate

So ... which one do you recommend me spending my hard earned cash on?

$99 (£57) for BBedit or ?39 (£27) for TextMate, are either really worth their price tags?
  • Reply 12 of 31
    akheron01akheron01 Posts: 152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by smclintock

hmm, i didn't realise you had to pay for both BBedit and TextMate

So ... which one do you recommend me spending my hard earned cash on?

$99 (£57) for BBedit or ?39 (£27) for TextMate, are either really worth their price tags?

I'd go with TextMate as the additional features BBedit offers don't seem that useful to you based on what you're doing with the software, so save some money! Of course one can indefinitely use TextMate's 30 day free trial by simply deleting the preferences file, but uhhh... that would be unscrupulous so you better not do it!
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by akheron01

I'd go with TextMate as the additional features BBedit offers don't seem that useful to you based on what you're doing with the software, so save some money! Of course one can indefinitely use TextMate's 30 day free trial by simply deleting the preferences file, but uhhh... that would be unscrupulous so you better not do it!

yeah, good point.

do you know if BBedit or TextMate is able to compile and run java programs?

i'll probably download the TextMate 30 day trial and see how i get on with it.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Two GPL contenders:

Coteditor - a japanese editor that rocks. It has PHP and HTML syntax coloring, among others. Just be sure to open the preferences and set the default format to UTF-8 instead of Japanese.

Smultron - a northern European editor that's good as well. And they got rid of the brushed metal interface! PHP and HTML syntax highlighting as well. And a convenient menu on the *edit*:left for switching between multiple open documents (think tabbed browsing for text editors).
  • Reply 15 of 31
    I use Taco HTML Edit for editing my HTML.

http://tacosw.com/main.php
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Hmm, I have to say, Smultron looks quite good, especially for freeware.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    BBedit. Quite cheap, stable, reliable and blazing fast.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    I'm a poor student (:P) so I downloaded Smultron and it's great , a lot better than jEdit.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    I might download some of these other apps and compare them to my beloved BBEdit. They may be OK for some things but I doubt I'd want to use them full time.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I might download some of these other apps and compare them to my beloved BBEdit. They may be OK for some things but I doubt I'd want to use them full time.

yeah ... Smultron isn't as good as I first thought, I might get TextMate, I'll see.