XBOX 360 question

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Does anybody know if the XBOX 360 is backward compatible with XBOX games?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

Does anybody know if the XBOX 360 is backward compatible with XBOX games?

Its not.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardeeharhar

Its not.

It is, to some extent.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/back...tibilityqa.htm

It's far from perfect and most of the games you'd really want to play don't work. The marketing dept. probably had something to do with that.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardeeharhar

Its not.

Oh really?

audiopollution:

Who wants to play that Halo and Halo 2 crap? amirite!
  • Reply 4 of 22
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Most of the games you'd really want to play don't work.

What games were you hoping for, exactly? These look pretty good to me:

* Baldur's Gate™: Dark Alliance™ II

* Call of Cthulhu®: Dark Corners of the Earth™

* Dead or Alive® 3

* Fable®

* Fable®: The Lost Chapters™

* Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy

* Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

* Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas™

* Half-Life® 2

* Halo®

* Halo® 2

* Halo® 2 Multiplayer Map Pack

* Jade Empire™3

* Ninja Gaiden®

* Ninja Gaiden® Black

* Outlaw Golf 2

* Outlaw Volleyball

* SSX 3

* Star Wars®: Knights of the Old Republic™

* Star Wars® Knights of the Old Republic® II: The Sith Lords™
  • Reply 5 of 22
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I don't see... uh... Madden 2003.

So there.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

I don't see... uh... Madden 2003.

So there.

What year are you living in?
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

What year are you living in?

Well, there aren't any Madden games, but sports games suck anyway 8)
  • Reply 8 of 22
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Oh really?

audiopollution:

Who wants to play that Halo and Halo 2 crap? amirite!

I guessed... It was 50-50...
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Just talked to my local gamestop manager -

1 out of 3 Xbox360 units still has "serious problems". There are a variety of problems (hard drive, overheating, freezing up, etc), and they usually show up in the first three months (but after the Microsoft 30 day warrenty has expired).

I think I will wait for them to get their act together.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    No, MVP Baseball 2005... And considering there won't be a 2006 version since ESPN bought the rights to all MLB Games... That is going to suck hardcore for EA fans who got rid of their XBOXs or replaced with it with a 360.

Microsoft is fuckin' retarded.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by JohnnySmith

No, MVP Baseball 2005... And considering there won't be a 2006 version since ESPN bought the rights to all MLB Games... That is going to suck hardcore for EA fans who got rid of their XBOXs or replaced with it with a 360.

Microsoft is fuckin' retarded.

It's EA's fault. The bastards had to ink an exclusive deal with the NFL didn't they? ESPN NFL 2005 was by far the best football game in years, but now, nope can't develop licensed material. The baseball issue was 2KGames way of getting something back. I hate EA.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DanMacMan

It's EA's fault. The bastards had to ink an exclusive deal with the NFL didn't they? ESPN NFL 2005 was by far the best football game in years, but now, nope can't develop licensed material. The baseball issue was 2KGames way of getting something back. I hate EA.

As much as I love baseball, the market for baseball games is miniscule compared to that of football.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

1 out of 3 Xbox360 units still has "serious problems". There are a variety of problems (hard drive, overheating, freezing up, etc), and they usually show up in the first three months (but after the Microsoft 30 day warrenty has expired).

First, it's a 90 day warranty in the US, and usually a 1 year warranty in Europe & UK (because their consumer protection laws are cool like that). Also I've had my 360 for just over 90 days now and no problems yet (knocks on wood). You can also spend $60 for a 2 year extended warranty if you so choose.

I think if it was a 33% failure rate the complaint level would be much higher over at the official 360 forums.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

As much as I love baseball, the market for baseball games is miniscule compared to that of football.

Oh, I agree totally. But you gotta do what you can, where you can.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:

Went out and bought one anyway - pretty nice unit! As nice as apple hardware, provided it stays alive.

I bought 5 games from the backwards compatibility list also (no new titles interest me), but now I have to go get the wireless adapter in order to play them due to the need to download the backwards compatibility driver for each game.

I particularly like the HDTV capibility - I think that my PS2 and Gamecube will get very little use in the next few months.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:

Went out and bought one anyway - pretty nice unit! As nice as apple hardware, provided it stays alive.

I bought 5 games from the backwards compatibility list also (no new titles interest me), but now I have to go get the wireless adapter in order to play them due to the need to download the backwards compatibility driver for each game.

I particularly like the HDTV capibility - I think that my PS2 and Gamecube will get very little use in the next few months.

Why can't you just plug in the ethernet cable for the time it takes to download the patches? Won't take long at all.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Why can't you just plug in the ethernet cable for the time it takes to download the patches? Won't take long at all.

Moving my TV to anywhere near an ethernet connection would be too much effort.

Anyway, I am pretty happy with the xbox. I wish that they had an option of playing xbox360 in widescreen mode, and normal xbox games in 4x3, because my TV is better at handling 4x3->widescreen than the xbox is.

Elder scrolls is worth it - my daughter and I have spent a couple hours already just modifying the faces of our characters - you have about a hundred things that you can change to get really unique characters.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Yea, Oblivion is an awesome game. Wish my wife didn't watch Survivor so I could play Oblivion some more tonight. Oh well, guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Back to the question that started this thread - not all of the games on the backwards compatibility list work perfectly.

Baldurs gate II slows down to a crawl when you get a bunch of enemies on screen at once. The porting team must not have played it more than the first level, because it hits really bad when you enter the den of the red fang bandits 8)
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Yea, there've been a few games listed as backwards compatible that didn't work well. Popular games where the people have bitched about it on the xbox forums have seen BC updates to get them working right.