Apple Security Update 2006-002 patches Mail, Safari

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple this afternoon released Security Update 2006-002, which is recommended for all users and improves the reliability and security of the following components: apache_mod_php, CoreTypes, LaunchServices, Mail, Safari, rsync. Specifically, the update attempts to repair issues where remote web sites can cause JavaScript to bypass the same-origin policy, double-clicking an attachment in Mail may result in arbitrary or malicious code execution, and where viewing a malicious web site may result in arbitrary or malicious code execution.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Safe as houses!!

I say ha ha to all those PC fools who wont give in and stop playing with dull beige boxes. Here's to the future!
  • Reply 2 of 20
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    You're not familiar with computer security, are you?! And to suggest that "PC fools" buy their "dull beige boxes" to "play" is a bit extreme, no? I use PCs at school to do a bit more than play, and I'm no fool.

Mac koolaid drinker zealots give normal mac users a bad name. It's a computing platform, not a religion.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    You both need help...

• Reply 4 of 20
    Safety first!
  • Reply 5 of 20
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

You're not familiar with computer security, are you?! And to suggest that "PC fools" buy their "dull beige boxes" to "play" is a bit extreme, no? I use PCs at school to do a bit more than play, and I'm no fool.

Mac koolaid drinker zealots give normal mac users a bad name. It's a computing platform, not a religion.

QTF.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Does no one else find it disturbing that Safari, unlike most other browsers, falls for the infinite JavaScript loop? Today, I tried setting up a do...while(1==1) loop in JavaScript and loaded the page in Safari. Other browsers (Firefox, etc.) catch on to the fact that the script is taking too long to run and bring up a popup alert to halt it. Safari, though, happily churns away until so many resources are used up the system has to be restarted.

I'm just about to install this security update - I'll let you know if it 'fixes' the problem.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by jdbartlett

I'm just about to install this security update - I'll let you know if it 'fixes' the problem.

Nope, still crashes. I used a do..while loop like that mentioned in my last post. Only hope is to catch it in time to manually force quit Safari. Leave it too long and you have to restart your whole mac.

That strikes me as a pretty silly trick for a browser to fall for.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    One more note, this one relevant to the new update: after installing this update on my powerbook, I found the headphone speaker balance set way over to the left.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    fuyutsukifuyutsuki Posts: 293member
    Quote:

One more note, this one relevant to the new update: after installing this update on my powerbook, I found the headphone speaker balance set way over to the left.

I've got the same thing on my PowerBook from updates (or something fairly regular) for years! Left balance ... juh?

Also, Safari has been so unstable for me since 10.4.2 or so that I've taken to using Camino as my maim browser. Crashes on OS X are something you hope not to see and usually only have to once in a blue moon, but Safari's been bombing out on me (in repeatable fashion) once a day or more.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fuyutsuki

I've got the same thing on my PowerBook from updates (or something fairly regular) for years! Left balance ... juh?

Also, Safari has been so unstable for me since 10.4.2 or so that I've taken to using Camino as my maim browser. Crashes on OS X are something you hope not to see and usually only have to once in a blue moon, but Safari's been bombing out on me (in repeatable fashion) once a day or more.

I have never had a problem with Safari. Maybe you have some other problem that is causing it?
  • Reply 11 of 20
    What steps have you taken to troubleshoot your Safari issue? I have never had that problem; Safari is pretty much rock solid for me. Yes, it has quit, but no more than once every couple of months.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by fuyutsuki

Safari's generally pretty stable for me, I'm using it right now. This is the first time I've noticed anything I've thought an especially big oversight in its development. Camino is an awesome browser, though. I still use Firefox for development because of its DOM inspector.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

Safari's generally pretty stable for me, I'm using it right now. This is the first time I've noticed anything I've thought an especially big oversight in its development. Camino is an awesome browser, though. I still use Firefox for development because of its DOM inspector.

Turing on Safari's Debug menu might give you what you need. Not a web developer, so I'm only offering this as a suggestion. You can enable the Debug menu by launching Terminal.app and typing:

defaults write com.apple.safari IncludeDebugMenu 1
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Adam from the Maccast podcast on today the 14th March episode, said it does not fix 2 other vulnerabilities in iTunes and Quicktime.

They will sort them out soon, hopefully!

Not that don't feel pretty safe already.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by [alloc init]

Turing on Safari's Debug menu might give you what you need. Not a web developer, so I'm only offering this as a suggestion. You can enable the Debug menu by launching Terminal.app and typing:

defaults write com.apple.safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

Wow, that's pretty cool! Thanks!

It doesn't have everything I use in Firefox's DOM inspector, but there are a lot of tools in the Debug winow that Firefox either doesn't have or I haven't found. Great!
  • Reply 16 of 20
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    seems to somehow disable the "bevel" display style in growl
  • Reply 17 of 20
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

You both need help...

I think the point needs to be made is that platform zealotry is stupid.

re: Safari issue, if you are running plug-ins, uninstall the ones you added and see if that changes things.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

re: Safari issue, if you are running plug-ins, uninstall the ones you added and see if that changes things.

No plugins. Almost a clean install of OS X (about a month old).
  • Reply 19 of 20
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

No plugins. Almost a clean install of OS X (about a month old).

Ouch. If you can find a site that it predictably crashes on, that would be a good thing to pester an Apple tech with, maybe at a Genius Bar if you can get to one.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jonnyboy

seems to somehow disable the "bevel" display style in growl

now seems to be working again!