Apple posts Security Update 2006-002 v1.1

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday released yet another Security Update, labeled Security Update 2006-002 v1.1, for both Mac OS X PPC (13.9MB) and Mac OS X Intel (15.4MB). The update presumably aims to fix issues that remained uncertified following the release of Security Update 2006-002 (1.0).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Come on Apple, we know you can do better than this!
  • Reply 2 of 13
    The last time I updated I lost my iPhoto Library. Is anyone having issues with the last update? please let us know
  • Reply 3 of 13
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macuser74

The last time I updated I lost my iPhoto Library. Is anyone having issues with the last update? please let us know

It stopped Safari running on my iBook.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hattig

It stopped Safari running on my iBook.

Try repairing permissions. Many times these security updates can mess with certain program settings and even corrupt others. The update could have messed up your safari .plists (preferences) as well? Trashing them and resetting everything from scratch might help too. Good luck!
  • Reply 5 of 13
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Hate to sound like an ass but I've never experienced these problems. My iBook really is like a frackin' unstoppable appliance, not a computer.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Come on Apple, we know you can do better than this!

According to this support document at Apple's site v1.1 is only necessary for people who have moved Safari outside of the Applications folder. It is not intended to be applied by everyone to fix a flaw in v1.0.

This maybe your problem, Hattig. Try applying the update.

Edit: Added link.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

According to this support document at Apple's site v1.1 is only necessary for people who have moved Safari outside of the Applications folder. It is not intended to be applied by everyone to fix a flaw in v1.0.

This maybe your problem, Hattig. Try applying the update.

Edit: Added link.

Yeah, that describes the situation (I'm a freak and put my applications into subfolders in Applications, like Applications/Internet and Applications/Office).

I'll apply the update of the update.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Yeah, that describes the situation (I'm a freak and put my applications into subfolders in Applications, like Applications/Internet and Applications/Office).

I'll apply the update of the update.

Bad habits from your old Windows days?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

No, that's not something you can do on windows without editing the registry, for most applications anyway.

I just don't like the long list of applications, including less used ones, when you open the Applications folder - I have it on my dock for quick access, it's far nicer to have a heirarchy (which is subjective of course) - I can just go Internet->Adium X or Office->Pages without having to do a large vertical scan of the list of applications.

If anything it's a hang over from my Amiga days.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

More like bad habits from pre OS X where you could put programs wherever you wanted with no worries. Wait... is that really a bad habit? Ahhhh well, guess we have to get use to restrictions on a modern OS.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I agree that Apple should update its installers/updaters to accommodate applications that have been moved to sub folders. This is a compromise because you couldn't put them anywhere, but permitting sub-folders should solve 99% of complaints.

I dropped my personal tendency to micromanage my Applications folder when I switched to Mac OS X. Since Spotlight came out I practically never go my Applications folder at all.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Originally posted by Xool

Since Spotlight came out I practically never go my Applications folder at all.

Yup...Same here.........
  • Reply 13 of 13
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

I just don't like the long list of applications, including less used ones, when you open the Applications folder - I have it on my dock for quick access, it's far nicer to have a heirarchy (which is subjective of course) - I can just go Internet->Adium X or Office->Pages without having to do a large vertical scan of the list of applications.

I have the same fetish, but I tickled it by installing all non-Apple apps in ~/Applications. That way I can make sub-folders for most stuff, while SWUpdate can still find the iApps. If I were so inclined, I could stick aliases to Safari/iApps/etc into the appropriate sub-folders in ~/Applications. There's no reason you *have* to put apps in /Applications, unless you need to share them between users.