Macbook Pro + Express34 Memory Card Reader (pictures)

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    I posted the pictures because I was being nice. When I was trying to find the card I had wished someone had provided evidence of a working card. I decided to take the time and do it myself.

I use products all the time that aren't support my mac. I use macminis as network monitors and use several USB1.1 network cards on each one, non of which are supported. You can make anything piece of hardware work on any computer, sometimes it just takes longer that you are willing to spend.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    Is this thread empty?
  • Reply 23 of 27
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfilias

Is this thread empty?

Ouch! It was a pretty neat thread, I wonder if the forum database troubles corrupted this thread.

The basic message was that the SIIG EC/34 memory reader will read and write memory cards on the MBP, but it won't go to sleep if the card is in the slot.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to check that out.

Are there other media readers?
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Yep, I guess the database lost some post records. Oh well.

I will repost the picture in the morning .

-Justin

PS: Yes, it basically said that the SIIG reader works on the macbookpro, but it doesn't sleep with the card in the machine (at least at this point). Then someone said he thought I worked for SIIG, I said he was an idiot (it was more than that, but that sums it up), then that was that.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfilias

Are there other media readers?

There appears to be one that costs $95 vs. the $35 for the SIIG card. Compared to CardBus and PCMCIA, there are almost no ExpressCard/34 devices. Newegg stocks about four different EC/34 adapters, and the SIIG memory card reader is one of them. The others are an RS-232 card and Gigabit ethernet. I thought there was a Firewire card but I can't find it, maybe I mistook a /54 card for /34.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    To avoid future confusion: PCMCIA is not a slot type; it's an industry consortium. CardBus and ExpressCard are both from PCMCIA.

When you say "PCMCIA", you usually mean "PC Card", an early version of CardBus.