Avie Tevanian plans to depart from Apple

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 92
    blue2kdaveblue2kdave Posts: 652member
    Quote:

Originally posted by frogggy

And file extensions are a GOOD thing!

How so? To increase compatibility with windows? That is the only thing I can think of. Most users are unaware of what the extensions mean, and they cause confusion. However, you could still have extensions without the problems I described as far as file paths.
  • Reply 82 of 92
    frogggyfrogggy Posts: 14member
    Quote:

Originally posted by strobe

You obviously read my post through anti-Carbon tinted glasses.

My problem with Cocoa's implementation isn't with triple-click or else I would have said so. The problem is with drag selecting text. The Carbon method allows you to choose whether to select the trailing linefeed by a simple left or right gesture when selecting up or down, while the Cocoa method only allows this when selecting up.

No. I read that. But I think you're picky : I really don't get exactly your concern. Texte selecting works perfectly well for me... And there are so many improvements over the first version of the text handling (remember it's all internal business of Budd Tribble: he supervised the TWO!) that if it's all you find to be wrong you should reconsider...
  • Reply 83 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue2kdave

How so? To increase compatibility with windows? That is the only thing I can think of. Most users are unaware of what the extensions mean, and they cause confusion. However, you could still have extensions without the problems I described as far as file paths.

People like you have the ability to hide the extension!

I personally like the fact that an image file is not more owned by the application that created it and found the NeXT use a deliverance in its time!
  • Reply 84 of 92
    Quote:

And I do, however that does not mean that the limitations of requiring file extensions are not there. And I am not sure what the second part meant, but you can set any file type to be opened by any application. This does not require extensions, it could be handled by the OS (even an ancient one like OS9)
  • Reply 85 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue2kdave

And I do, however that does not mean that the limitations of requiring file extensions are not there. And I am not sure what the second part meant, but you can set any file type to be opened by any application. This does not require extensions, it could be handled by the OS (even an ancient one like OS9)

Life on earth is made of limitations! I have mine, you have yours.

In that case both of us are frustrated. Each of us by what makes the other enjoy...

And the earth still continues to turn around itself and around the sun and travel through the universe...
  • Reply 86 of 92
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    Quote:

I personally like the fact that an image file is not more owned by the application that created it and found the NeXT use a deliverance in its time!

1) The problem with the extension is it's part of the filename, not that it can't be hidden. I would probably display a file's MIME types if Apple used those.

2) The file type and creator are separate codes. You could easily use the '????' creator as to not specify the application.
  • Reply 87 of 92
    rasnetrasnet Posts: 37member
    A file name (and path) is just another type of meta data. If the file extension was completely invisible to the user (and not a solution Mac users criticized for years), I don't imagine it would even be much of a complaint. It's a three character, period delimited separation of two pieces of meta data. Furthermore, this particular type of meta data is easily visible when necessary (on Windows, for example) and compatible.
  • Reply 88 of 92
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Windows has had support for hiding file name extensions since 95, and, well, suffice to say it hasn't helped. Turning that feature off is one of the first things most users do, because it only complicates matters even further.
  • Reply 89 of 92
    Internet has made dot files ubiquitous. Only snobs and cretins are still not used to it. You will eventually? The sooner the better for you because owner-creator is DEAD!
  • Reply 90 of 92
    Quote:

Internet has made dot files ubiquitous. Only snobs and cretins are still not used to it. You will eventually? The sooner the better for you because owner-creator is DEAD!

Then count me a snob. I am used to it, and I know why it is useful on the internet. But MS proves the right way doesn't always win out.
  • Reply 91 of 92
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Really? How curious. I could *swear* it was having a quiet rebirth in the more recent metadata schemes.

File extensions are a necessary evil, until more OSs and filesystems become a bit more... intelligent. The web is really quite stupid in this respect. MIME helps somewhat, but it's only a start.

With OS X and Vista moving towards richer file metadata (well, OS X at least, Vista will catch up... someday), and Linux filesystems making loud noises in the same direction, it's only a matter of time before there's a critical mass.

MacOS pioneered the way in 1984, and the rest of the world is finally catching up twenty-plus years later. So no, owner/creator isn't dead, it's resting.
  • Reply 92 of 92
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Great Post Kickaha!