kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

*forum rules

Fair 'nuff
  • Reply 22 of 24
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I just did a little research for curiosity sake and here is what I found:

The NFL has ~12 afternoon games/sunday in DTVST - 3 local games that you can only see on local affiliates =9 games/wk

9 games/wk x 16 weeks = 144 availible games

Sunday ticket + superfan (the hi-end one that includes all games in HD) costs $329 (earlybird)

329/144 = 2.28/game in HD

Now the SD only version: $229(earlybird)

229/144 = 1.59/game in SD (thats what, like 4x itunes resolution?)

compared to iTunes' sports prices, DTV really dosnt look all that bad suddenly...
  • Reply 23 of 24
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

I just did a little research for curiosity sake and here is what I found:

The NFL has ~12 afternoon games/sunday in DTVST - 3 local games that you can only see on local affiliates =9 games/wk

9 games/wk x 16 weeks = 144 availible games

Sunday ticket + superfan (the hi-end one that includes all games in HD) costs $329 (earlybird)

329/144 = 2.28/game in HD

Now the SD only version: $229(earlybird)

229/144 = 1.59/game in SD (thats what, like 4x itunes resolution?)

compared to iTunes' sports prices, DTV really dosnt look all that bad suddenly...

Can't argue with that math. BTW, there are 17 weeks of games (each team plays 16 games and has 1 bye).

I would suggest, however, that many of the folks who do purchase DirectTicket are not watching all 9 games every sunday (9 games * 3 hrs/game = 27 hours). I suppose that they could DVR the games and watch them over the course of the week (I don't know if DirectTV DVRs even let you record these games). The model Apple and the NFL could push is for the a fan who wants to follow only a handful of teams.

Say that I wanted to follow 2 teams for the whole 16 game regular season: 32 games/season * $2.99/game = $95.68/season.

If Apple does some kind of season pass thing whereby you prepay for all of one team's games for a price less than $2.99/game, it would make a lot of financial sense for the football fan who finds him/herself out of their favorite team's TV coverage. Imagine: get all of your team's 16 regular season games for $39.99!

Modifers are the playoff and preseason games. Would you get preseason games for a discounted rate? If your team makes the playoffs, would your season pass give you these games or would you have to buy them individually? Interesting questions.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kishan

Say that I wanted to follow 2 teams for the whole 16 game regular season: 32 games/season * $2.99/game = $95.68/season.

$2.99 to watch it after the fact, in LOW resolution...

229/32=~$7/game...BUT you see the game live, in SD resolution, and you can flip between all of the games that are on, so if the Packers are whipping the bears (heh, theres a dream) I can flip over to the Steelers v Pats game that may be a much better machup.

I was honestly thinking of going to a local pub to watch OOM games this coming season until I ran the numbers...$329(for the HD stuff)/17Wk=19.35/wk, now Wings: $5, 2 beers(dont drink after halftime, or a whole lot before it either if you are driving home): $10, 2 soft drinks and nachos for the second half: $10 , thats $20

Now the intangibles: being able to record the games, whatch what you want, control instant replay(via dvr), have whatever refreshments you want, and being in the privacy of home. as Mastercard would say; Priceless.

Geebus, I have almost sold myself on Sunday ticket.