Dave Matthews Band catalog arrives on iTunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Dave Matthews Band and Apple Computer on Tuesday announced the availability of the band's entire catalog on the iTunes Music Store.

The announcement represents the first time that fans of Dave Matthews can purchase online and download individual songs from the band's catalog for just 99 cents per song. The deal is currently exclusive to iTunes.

"We're excited to offer Dave Matthews Band fans our entire catalog on iTunes for downloading to their computer or iPod," said Dave Matthews. "After releasing 'Stand Up' on iTunes the band received such great feedback that we decided to make all of our music available on the iTunes Music Store."

Beginning today, fans can download songs from Dave Matthews Band albums including; "Under the Table and Dreaming," "Crash," "Before These Crowded Streets," "Everyday," "Busted Stuff," "Stand Up" and "Remember Two Things." Dave Matthews solo album "Some Devil" and violinist Boyd Tinsley's solo album "True Reflections" are also available. Each album can be downloaded from iTunes for $9.99 and individual songs for 99 cents each.

"We're thrilled to be the first digital music store to offer the songs from Dave Matthews Band for individual purchase," said Eddy Cue, Apple's vice president of iTunes. "We've sold over one billion songs since launching the iTunes Music Store just three years ago, and the availability of every Dave Matthews Band song for purchase is yet another major milestone for iTunes and digital music."

Dave Matthews Band has sold more than 35 million albums in the United States alone and over 12 million concert tickets, making them a top album seller and concert draw year in and year out. The band begins their summer tour on May 30 with a date in St. Louis, Missouri's UMB Bank Pavilion and is not expected to finish until late September at which point the band will have played nearly 50 dates in total.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    That's nice.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    This is a potential goldmine for fans of DMB's live concerts. They have a number of live albums that will probably be added down the road.

If you look at what iTunes did with Pearl Jam -- listing (I think) every concert from the 2003 tour -- there's huge potential for DMB live shows. Granted, the Pearl Jam shows were also released on disc, but this is a great business model to get hardcore fans to go back to the well over and over again.

I would like to see Apple follow its NCAA Tournament model with some of the big concert tours this summer and put up live tracks a day or two after the concert is over. Some bands will even allow you to buy a CD of the concert before you leave the stadium, so the infrastructure is in place to do this.

For that matter, iTunes is uniquely situated to "cover" a tour. This is where iTunes could really go beyond the album, the single and the video and deliver, say, the DMB or Pearl Jam summer tour with video podcasts, concert downloads, made-on-the-fly booklets of photos, etc.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    Meh.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    ooooo....everyone loves mediocur adult contemporary ROCK-AND -ROLL-BAD-ASS-WANNA-BEs...

Coming to a shadow commercial near you: a new, soon-to-be-hit single, Fecies from on high, with an iTunes exclusive video shot on the bank of the Chicago river availible with any DMB purchase..

Get me AC/DC and Metalica on itunes...that will be news worthy.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    bperkinsbperkins Posts: 110member
    About time. Glad they finally caved in. To bad they do not offer their Live Catalog downloads (http://stores.musictoday.com/store/d...7&dept_id=8589). Especially the one they just released.

They are working on a new CD so I imagine that iTunes will pre release a track or two.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

ooooo....everyone loves mediocur adult contemporary ROCK-AND -ROLL-BAD-ASS-WANNA-BEs...

Coming to a shadow commercial near you: a new, soon-to-be-hit single, Fecies from on high, with an iTunes exclusive video shot on the bank of the Chicago river availible with any DMB purchase..

exactly.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    There's this hot chick-- that I work with-- who likes Dave Matthews Band... maybe I can use this as an excuse to talk to her....

What is it with girls and Dave Matthews? He's a short, dirty, perverted little something-or-other (can I say that?) but I guess girls dig how he makes them feel, so go figure.

Every artist should get on iTunes, it only helps these days. I know at least one person that deliberately downlaods pirated music because it isn't on iTunes 'cuz he feels that CD's are a waste of thier time and money. I told him not to but I think he still does.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Yeah, they really need to put their live stuff up on the store. It's weird that today's update is composed entirely of just their studio albums. Here's hoping this paves the way for some iTunes exclusives, and perhaps some unreleased studio material? I'd love to see the VH1 Storytellers shows makes it to iTunes, and other stuff that fans don't already own.

Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Because a band just can't put on a good show without distortion-filled power chords and pyrotechnics.

Quote:

Originally posted by rebel_without_a_pc

What is it with girls and Dave Matthews? He's a short, dirty, perverted little something-or-other

Well he's not short, and he's not little, but the dirty and perverted part is pretty accurate.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    The following sentence has been in the works since the iTMS was first started...really:

"For me, the iTMS will not be complete until DMB is included."

Now it is. The irony is that I'll never buy their stuff off of there because I'd want it on (un-DRMed) CD.

Don't knock DMB. Some of us have followed them since their music was actually REALLY good (IOW, pre-"Everyday"), though "Busted Stuff" wasn't bad. Their concerts just aren't the same, though. Instead of a bunch of neo-hippies, now there's a few neo-hippies and a lot of drunk college kids.

\
  • Reply 10 of 12
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Their concerts just aren't the same, though. Instead of a bunch of neo-hippies, now there's a few neo-hippies and a lot of drunk college kids.

\

I don't really know much about dave matthew's band, but didn't they get their start playing for drunk college kids at frat parties? Full circle then I suppose......
  • Reply 11 of 12
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    BORING!!!!

Carry on...8)
  • Reply 12 of 12
    smurfmansmurfman Posts: 119member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

I don't really know much about dave matthew's band, but didn't they get their start playing for drunk college kids at frat parties? Full circle then I suppose......

A band I was in while going to college had a "big concert" planned at the college we attended. When the posters started popping up around campus, we were not the featured band, but an unknown band (to us) was plastered all over the flyer. We were very upset, to say the least.

Then, when concert time came, we had a sound check and discovered we couldn't use half our instruments and needed to use theirs. MAN were we ticked! We couldn't use our keyboard that was programmed for particular songs, or our drums, or an acoustic guitar. Once we finished the sound check (with steam coming out of our ears), we sat down and listened to them do a sound check.

We were all BLOWN-AWAY! Within a minute of listening, I said to myself... "These guys are going to make it BIG!". A year and a half from that concert, their songs were on the radio nationwide. That was in 1993.

By-the-way, though Dave may be a little "dirty" (which is one reason why I haven't bought any of their albums for a long time), the whole band was very nice and complimentary. I was impressed with their attitude toward us and others. They were pretty down-to-earth guys. Can't speak for them now, but at least that was the case then.

I even have the concert on video, though their legal people almost took my right leg when I tried to sell it on eBay. :-D