Video streaming possibility, HD maybe?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What does everyone think of some sort of airport akin to the Airport Express that also has video streaming capabilities? The airport express can be used to stream audio to a seperate set of speakers, so why not do it with video?

Heres the plan:

Update iTunes to fully support DVD playback and such, then release an add-on to your TV with wireless capabilities, and with RCA/S video/ Component/ optical out. Plug it into a video input on your TV and connect it with your network, select 'stream to TV' in iTunes or something to that affect, and enjoy!

This would make it possible to stream HD from the computer to your HDTV, which would bypass that whole 'I cant burn HD onto a disc' thing. Also, it would make it easier to watch a music video or a short clip you dont want to put on a DVD, but you want to put it on your TV. Or it could be used as another Monitor, maybe for a presentation or something. You would need one of those converter doo-hickeys in the Airport, but hey... why not.

Might not be completley practical, but it seems like a cool idea!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nar1117

What does everyone think of some sort of airport akin to the Airport Express that also has video streaming capabilities? The airport express can be used to stream audio to a seperate set of speakers, so why not do it with video?

Heres the plan:

Update iTunes to fully support DVD playback and such, then release an add-on to your TV with wireless capabilities, and with RCA/S video/ Component/ optical out. Plug it into a video input on your TV and connect it with your network, select 'stream to TV' in iTunes or something to that affect, and enjoy!

This would make it possible to stream HD from the computer to your HDTV, which would bypass that whole 'I cant burn HD onto a disc' thing. Also, it would make it easier to watch a music video or a short clip you dont want to put on a DVD, but you want to put it on your TV. Or it could be used as another Monitor, maybe for a presentation or something. You would need one of those converter doo-hickeys in the Airport, but hey... why not.

Based on the fact that iTunes still does not offer lossless downloads, sadly I think that HD downloads are highly unlikely.

Corey
  • Reply 2 of 25
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Quote:

Heres the plan:

Based on the fact that iTunes still does not offer lossless downloads, sadly I think that HD downloads are highly unlikely.

Corey
  • Reply 3 of 25
    nar1117nar1117 Posts: 18member
    Sorry, to clarify- I dont mean stream from the internet, i mean stream from your personal Hdd on your iMac, Powerbook, Macbook, etc... to the TV using this new Airport-like- device.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Might not be completley practical, but it seems like a cool idea! [/B]

Imagine yourself as a CEO of a major company. If someone ran up to you and gave you an impractical idea, what would you do? Keep in mind this is a business you want to MAKE money with.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Sheesh, such a tough crowd o'er here. Just a cool idea that popped into my head... i was wondering if anyone else though it was a neat idea too... So what if its impractical? This is what the forum is for... discussion, its not like we're presenting ideas to Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    ricksbrainricksbrain Posts: 517member
    I think it's a great idea, just a tad premature. The whole DD thing is still young. Streaming it will take some time. Eventually, it will happen.

And you're right-- tough crowd lately. \
  • Reply 7 of 25
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Well, if by "tough crowd" you mean "people who for some years now have been perfectly well aware that wireless HD and video to the television is desirable and inevitable, as soon as there is a reasonably economical and effective short range wireless technology that can handle the bandwidth", then sure.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    No, just those who don't help the newer crowd learn without a poke in the ribs.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Hah, well you just proved my point i suppose...

Yes, by 'tough crowd' i mean exactly that.../sarcasm
  • Reply 10 of 25
  • Reply 11 of 25
    crampy20crampy20 Posts: 68member
    Cough

It would be cool, but not something many people would like. Furthermore the disk space associated with HD is too phenomenal for downloading or in many many Mac Mini/iBook cases too weighty.

I mean an SD quality video takes up a huge amount of room as is.

And when was the last time ANYONE downloaded uncompressed ANYTHING from the internet. Maybe you should set your sights lower for streaming.

Look how crap the Apple Expo videos are & even that is variable. Technology does need to come on quite a bit.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    ABout the tough crowd business...

I think the problem is this: Most of the users here have been here for a very long time. At a certain point it just gets boring adding 5X or 10X to the current products for pure specualtion reasons only (like lossless iTunes music, 90 inch cinema displays. 16 way processors). Just going off the scale don´t really make interesting ideas (above the obvious "Wouldn´t it be cool to have a machine X times faster than the fastest Dell?", "Yes it would").

What is 1024 times more interesting is speculation of combining what is interesting, feasible and even slightly possible with what we have now, especially if it incorporate emerging technologies. WiMax in portables, Apple Tablet, even mobile phones to a limited degree is examples of that.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    ibuzzibuzz Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

Imagine yourself as a CEO of a major company. If someone ran up to you and gave you an impractical idea, what would you do? Keep in mind this is a business you want to MAKE money with.

thank them for their creative idea?

costs you nothing. they feel appreciated. This is the birthplace of innovation, not every creative idea comes packaged with all the practical details worked out.

just my .02
  • Reply 14 of 25
    It just seems to me that some take themselves too seriously, forgetting that for a good number, all this is just fun.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    This is one of those threads where I feel like a made a response at one time, but it was eaten by the forum.

The gist of it was that streaming HD is still a ways off, since it requires some serious data throughput even when compressed in MPEG4. But with 802.11n, having DVD-quality streaming video is definitely a possibility. Since DVD hardware is so ubiquitous now, it's not a stretch to imagine an Airport Express with a component output.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crampy20

Cough

...And when was the last time ANYONE downloaded uncompressed ANYTHING from the internet. Maybe you should set your sights lower for streaming....

He isn't talking about the internet.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibuzz

thank them for their creative idea?

costs you nothing. they feel appreciated. This is the birthplace of innovation, not every creative idea comes packaged with all the practical details worked out.

just my .02

When 9-year-old Shea O'Gorman and her third-grade class began learning about writing business and formal letters, she thought who better to write to than the chief executive of the company that makes her iPod nano.

In her letter to Mr. Jobs, little Shea offered her ideas on how the company could improve on its iPod digital music players, such as adding song lyrics so listeners can sing along to their tunes.

After waiting nearly three months, Shea finally received a reply from Apple's Cupertino, Calif.-based headquarters, and the entire family gathered around to read it.

To the dismay of Shea and her family, the letter wasn't from Mr. Jobs. It was from Mark Aaker, Senior Council of the company's Law Department, telling the third-grader that Apple doesnt accept unsolicited ideas, so she should not send them her suggestions and if she wants to know why, she could read their legal policy posted on the Internet.

Tough all around I am afraid...

• Reply 18 of 25
    I was thinking more along the lines that HD would be a bonus... but whos to say you cant stream video wirelessly? OK so its couldnt be HD, yet... what gives? If i had a DVD loaded onto my hdd on the mac, i could plug my video-enabled airport into the TV receiver, make the Mac send video to the airport, and use front row on the TV to watch movies without using a dvd player. This certainly isnt too far fetched now is it?

The reason, i think, the idea came to me was that it seems to be a logical progression from the Airport-express's audio streaming capabilities. 'Hey, lets add a video-out to it' Ok so its not that simple, but you catch my drift im sure.

And just to clarify, 'maybe' means 'not really, but it could be possible' and not 'definately'

Thats why i said 'HD maybe?' ... just to be clear.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

I was thinking more along the lines that HD would be a bonus...

I know this is repetitive, but as far as I can tell, the cost of adding a DVD MPEG2 decompressor hardware and component out is probably in the region of $10. Once the Airport goes 802.11n, the wireless barrier is more or less solved as well. It would certainly be interesting to download content from the video iTunes store and play it wirelessly onto a TV in another room.

I'm not sure how the iTunes videos are compressed, but if the iPod has the capability to decompress them, surely that can be tossed into an airport express.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Does 802.11n has the bandwith for 1080p h.264?