How many of you will or would install Windows on your Mac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I personally don't think I would, because I can't think of any Windows software that I truly need to use. I've gotten along fine for many years without a Windows machine. There are a few Windows programs I'd kind of like to use, and if it was cheap I would, but Windows ain't cheap, and I really don't want to pirate an OS, so I voted 'No.'

But I know some people might have Windows software that they need to or really want to use - games, or work-related software, or whatever. So I'm curious: Will you install Windows? Why or why not?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    AutoCad
  • Reply 2 of 38
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    sigma plot, grafit...

sparky...
  • Reply 3 of 38
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I built a PC a few years ago specifically to use certain development apps that are Windows only. I didn't have much choice, my college needed me to use those programs and Virtual PC didn't cut it. Other than those apps, though, the PC doesn't get much other use. I have a few games that are Windows only but nothing I play on a regular basis.

If I had an Intel Mac back before I had to build a PC, there's no question I would have installed Windows and dual booted.

But as I'm graduating from college in a few weeks and won't need to use those apps any more, I don't think I would install Windows now, especially on a laptop.

If my next Mac is a Tower, however, I would probably take my hard drive out of my PC and put it into the new Mac to boot Windows off of it on the rare chance I would need some data from it, especially since that copy of Windows is already paid for.

Kind of complex but it's not an easy question to answer.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    _ alliance __ alliance _ Posts: 2,070member
    why not. can get windows for $5 a disc, so might as well give it a shot.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I'm going to leverage this situation to see if I can get my employer to replace my Thinkpad with a MacBook Pro or an iBook when it's released. I *can* do most of my work on a Mac now, but there are some programs that simply *need* Windows sadly. I'd love a solution that offered virtualization but this is the next best thing.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I'd use it only to test websites under IE. What a pain in the PC.

However I know others would use it for various odds and ends, and this will definitely help switchers feel more comfortable knowing they have a backup plan in case they don't dig Mac OS.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    dutch peardutch pear Posts: 588member
    I have two reasons for installing windows:

1. To play the occasional game.

2. To use some windows-only programs and corresponding files from work (the university I work at is completely windows-centric)
  • Reply 8 of 38
    trowelltrowell Posts: 41member
    web testing

checking file compatibility....

er...that's about it
  • Reply 9 of 38
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    I detest Windows, but the only good cave-mapping program is Windows-only. As it stands, I can't reduce survey data to line plots on my Mac unless I use an 8-year-old poorly-written Classic app. I'd put Windows on my Powerbook for the explicit purpose of being able to take it on survey trips.

Other than that, I wouldn't use it at all.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    I already have a PC with window$...

Can't picture it on my iMac..

But who knows..

p.s. maybe @ work ?
  • Reply 11 of 38
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    Quote:

Originally posted by k squared

AutoCad

• Reply 12 of 38
    mac_dollmac_doll Posts: 527member
    I said no, simply because I have no need for Windows software. I'd only use WMP, but even then, I can install Flip4Mac. So.. yeah. I do admit though, I have to commend Apple on taking advantage of this opportunity.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dutch pear

I have two reasons for installing windows:

1. To play the occasional game.

2. To use some windows-only programs and corresponding files from work (the university I work at is completely windows-centric)

Yes to point number one. I think this will get switchers in itself!
  • Reply 14 of 38
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Originally posted by Bancho

....... I'd love a solution that offered virtualization but this is the next best thing.

Maybe you gotta try this virtualization sofware (intel mac needed):

http://www.parallels.com/

• Reply 15 of 38
    Already did. To play:

Battlefront 2

Empire at War

Godfather

TombRaider Legend

Call of Duty 2

and all my old school PC games...all of which run beautifully. My MacBook Pro is the fastest Windows machine I've ever used.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    If I do end up installing Windows on my MacBook Pro, I definitely will make sure Windows never gets connected to the internet. It's a pain in the ass to maintain Windows as it is, and I don't need it picking up all sorts of crap from the internet. Although, I suppose that is part of the Windows experience...
  • Reply 17 of 38
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Some GIS stuff. That's it, and only cause i can get it for the price of media at the campus bookstore.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    When I get an intel mac I will use parallels software to run my practice mangement software at work.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MovieCutter

Already did. To play:

Battlefront 2

Empire at War

Godfather

TombRaider Legend

Call of Duty 2

and all my old school PC games...all of which run beautifully. My MacBook Pro is the fastest Windows machine I've ever used.

Did you play those through virtualization? If so how demanding on the hardware is those games on a "normal" pc?

If you can play games with near normal behaviour through virtualization I am amazed for the the seventh time in three days.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Z Brush, maybe Softimage XSI, maybe games that aren't available for mac.