Apple, Don't Screw It Up...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

Originally posted by s.metcalf

Doesn't the iMac only "officially" support mirroring and not spanning. You have to enact a firmware hack to support spanning I thought????

No, with the advent of the Intel-Based iMacs, monitor spanning is now an official out-of-the-box feature of the iMac.
  • Reply 42 of 43
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Corey

Integrated graphics makes the CPU do graphic chores. In short, it slows the whole machine down in a major way. It typically also uses up 80mb or so of system memory for its operation.

Running Desktop applications on a 1680x1050 screen the GMA950 uses about 19Mb of memory, so its not "typically 80Mb". Also the Mini zips along, its not "slowed down in a major way" buy integrated graphics. Yes, current games run slow, but thats about it.
  • Reply 43 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

From what I understand the minimum Mac mini IG will use is 64MB, some websites say in the real world use the Mac mini IG uses 80MB.

Intel says the maximum the GMA will use is 224MB. I haven't seen an official maximum from Apple.

This isn't how IG works, in the pc world you can get into your bios and limit how much ram the IG will use, apple has pre set this to 64mb, it will not use any more than this unless you increase the limit. All intel are saying is that the IG system could be set to use up to 224mb of your systems ram.

I wouldn't worry about an official maximum figure from apple either , intel make the chips, i'm sure they know what it'll do.