The Intel Powermac / Powermac Conroe / Mac Pro thread

Comments

• Reply 301 of 946
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Seems to me there are a lot of missing posts. Also was unable for most of the day to reply.
  • Reply 302 of 946
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

Mmm?

(I could swear I posted this once already??!? Did we have a database failure here??!?)

Must have because I replied to this earlier.
  • Reply 303 of 946
    thttht Posts: 5,536member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

And that's nothing. It's the Tigerton that comes after the Kentsfield that is the real kicker. This is where I hope Apple makes a break away, and makes one separate Mac pro design that uses this processor to it's fullest. *16 cores in all.

4 socket systems are are going to be $10k+ affairs. Doubtful that Apple will enter into such a market.

Quote:

I read elsewhere that Tigerton is a Quad Core Quad Socket (*16 cores) version of the Clovertown with another **bonus, but I can't find the page again that spells it out from the beginning, The best part is Tigerton also (after intel said they were dropping it before) has brought back the **ODMC on die memory controller.

Tigerton

It's doubtful that Intel will go with an on-die memory controller for the foreseeable future either. The eweek article doesn't mention anything about it.

Tigerton will supposedly have a new point-to-point FSB - my bet is on octo pumping - that'll allow something like 1.6 to 3.2 GHz FSB data rates, but it doesn't appear to have an ODMC. An ODMC just needlessly complicates Intel's strategy of having a common socket platform between Xeons and Itaniums. In a year or two, Intel wants to be able to plug-and-flash-the-firmware-then-play Itaniums into Xeon systems. An ODMC on ICM CPUs would kill that strategy, and as far as I can tell, they haven't given up on Itanium yet.
  • Reply 304 of 946
    thttht Posts: 5,536member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

Intel needs their core processors out ASAP. Just came across this article where opteron just destroyed a paxville xeon. I don't think Intel can release the core chips soon enough. Link below

http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=2745

It's true that Intel needs to have desktop and server ICM CPUs shipping, but AnandTech knows full well that Glidewell/Bensley platforms with dual independent FSB are coming in a month or so. This platform will bring 2 socket and maybe 4 socket Pentium 4 and Xeon systems performance parity with 2 and 4 socket Athlon64/Opteron systems.

Intel's last Netburst-based Xeon processor to ever ship will be an on-chip half clock 16 MB L3 cache dual-core CPU in 2H 06. I think that'll compete with AMD 2 and 4 socket systems of that time. At least in the power and heat are no problem category.

Once Woodcrest comes, yeah, whole new ball game.
  • Reply 305 of 946
    Although remember the most likely reason Woodcrest is coming early (apart from Xeons being crucified by Opterons) is that the Workstation/Server platform is less heat sensitive than the Conroe and esp. Merom platforms (mobile). They are the first of a totally new process and running at 1333Mhz FSB I bet they wont be cool, they wont be "965EE P4" hot but they wont be cool. I would expect any 2 socket/4 core woodcrest Mac Pro to very similar in size/cooling requirements to the G5 quad (but please, dear god, let them have enough space for 3-4 hard drives)
  • Reply 306 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thereubster

Although remember the most likely reason Woodcrest is coming early (apart from Xeons being crucified by Opterons) is that the Workstation/Server platform is less heat sensitive than the Conroe and esp. Merom platforms (mobile). They are the first of a totally new process and running at 1333Mhz FSB I bet they wont be cool, they wont be "965EE P4" hot but they wont be cool. I would expect any 2 socket/4 core woodcrest Mac Pro to very similar in size/cooling requirements to the G5 quad (but please, dear god, let them have enough space for 3-4 hard drives)

So why do you say they wont be cooler? I thiought the whole line was restructured which ultimately gave it less power, and less heat, better performance.
  • Reply 307 of 946
    I just meant that because they are running faster (3.0 and 3.33Ghz on a 1333FSB) there is going to be more heat, I thought they had a 80w or more TDP? Which isn't far off the G5...
  • Reply 308 of 946
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brendon

OK Apple was the first company to go to court and to then have the terms of what is and is not Vaporware revised so they can be properly found guilty.

Google->Vaporware Apple SEC

On May 30, 1991, a jury in northern California found that Apple

Computer, Inc., while promoting its Lisa computer and Twiggy disk drive

to potential consumers, had made overly optimistic statements that misled

investors under the federal securities laws. The verdict the jury rendered

would have resulted in damages exceeding $100 million. 2 Although the

trial judge ultimately set the verdict aside, 3 the point was made: potential-

ly huge securities liability can arise from statements made by corporate

officials to promote their companies' products. Nothing in the judge's

decision to set aside the verdict changed the fact that at another time and

place a jury could render an equally large verdict on similar facts.

Most securities litigation arises from securities filings describing

corporate earnings and projected financial performance. In light of Apple,

plaintiffs' class action attorneys who have previously combed annual

reports, 10-Qs, 8-Ks, etc. for overly optimistic statements following a

reported drop in earnings, now have a similarly powerful incentive to

scrutinize earlier product announcements and product press releases when

product performance does not measure up to product hype or when

products do not hit the market when promised. ~9 Even before Apple was

litigated, computer-related and other high-tech firms were more frequently

the target for securities class action suits than companies in other

industries, 2° perhaps because of the ubiquitous vaporware problem. 2t The

ruling in the Apple case thus demands that a new set of guidelines be

drawn up for the evaluation of the permissible boundaries of this product

hyping.

They aren't the first there either.
  • Reply 309 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

Seems to me there are a lot of missing posts. Also was unable for most of the day to reply.

This has been happening a lot. I'v already discussed it with them. so far, they aren't sure why it's happening.
  • Reply 310 of 946
    Quote:

I just meant that because they are running faster (3.0 and 3.33Ghz on a 1333FSB) there is going to be more heat, I thought they had a 80w or more TDP? Which isn't far off the G5...

85 watts. But, the cpu's they will be replacing are at 130 watt TDP. 85 compares to the Opteron.
  • Reply 311 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

85 watts. But, the cpu's they will be replacing are at 130 watt TDP. 85 compares to the Opteron.

Errr, do you mean the P4 or the G5 is 135watts?
  • Reply 312 of 946
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

4 socket systems are are going to be $10k+ affairs. Doubtful that Apple will enter into such a market.

Come on man! Remember when a basic Indy would run you at least US$10K?

And the DCC software (of the time) to run on said Indy would easily be 2 or 3 times that?! Just to get your toes wet?!

Apple needs to provide a monster workstation for the Shake/Motion/FCP/3D profesionals who are more concerned with time rather than money?

I am not saying Apple should plan a business model around what would have to be a extreme high cost, possible medium profit margin item, because that idea totally tanked out for Silicon Graphics in the long run; but they could do to cater towards the high end market and reap the marketing benefits?

Quad sockets / Quad-core CPUs / Quad SLI QuadroFXs / Quad HDDs

The Quadfecta of future DCC workstations??!? With real-time 4K capabilities??!?

;^p

Oh yeah, Apple also needs to produce (purchase, polish & rebrand, whatever) their own 3D software? Luxology always comes to mind?

Again,

;^p
  • Reply 313 of 946
    Quote:

Errr, do you mean the P4 or the G5 is 135watts?

The Woodcrest.
  • Reply 314 of 946
    Quote:

Oh yeah, Apple also needs to produce (purchase, polish & rebrand, whatever) their own 3D software? Luxology always comes to mind?

Again,

;^p [/B]

That worked for MS. If they didn't do that, NT might never have been taken seriously as a 3D workstation. Strange that they got rid of it after they managed that.
  • Reply 315 of 946
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

That worked for MS. If they didn't do that, NT might never have been taken seriously as a 3D workstation. Strange that they got rid of it after they managed that.

Yeah, strange that, huh??!?

Almost like it was planned to switch DCC houses over to 'cheaper' Windows NT workstations, thereby starting the demise of Silicon Graphics?

And yeah, Softimage was foisted off on Avid when Microsoft was done using it to begin raping & pillaging the DCC market?

I have said time & again, Apple needs to become the next Silicon Graphics, just without the whole going out of business thing real soon now thing?

This is in addition to the whole ruling the consumer market thing they got going so far?

And they need to actually build the enterprise market, stupid bastards!

Like I say, Luxology is the place they ought to be?
  • Reply 316 of 946
    Quote:

Yeah, strange that, huh??!?

Almost like it was planned to switch DCC houses over to 'cheaper' Windows NT workstations, thereby starting the demise of Silicon Graphics?

And yeah, Softimage was foisted off on Avid when Microsoft was done using it to begin raping & pillaging the DCC market?

I have said time & again, Apple needs to become the next Silicon Graphics, just without the whole going out of business thing real soon now thing?

This is in addition to the whole ruling the consumer market thing they got going so far?

And they need to actually build the enterprise market, stupid bastards!

Like I say, Luxology is the place they ought to be?

I've been saying the same thing. No one seems to listen apparently.
  • Reply 317 of 946
    Quote:

The Woodcrest.

The Woodcrest is not 135 watts.

One of many resources say that woodcrest is only 80 watts.

todays XEON's are 110 watts. Paxville is 170 watts, Woodcrest is 40% less than Paxville.

AMD's Socket F Opteron is supposed to be 95 watts when that hits, but I think it's AMD's wishful thinking. Either way. Woodcrest is faster, and consumes less power.

more (old) woodcrest
  • Reply 319 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

The Woodcrest is not 135 watts.

One of many resources say that woodcrest is only 80 watts.

todays XEON's are 110 watts. Paxville is 170 watts, Woodcrest is 40% less than Paxville.

AMD's Socket F Opteron is supposed to be 95 watts when that hits, but I think it's AMD's wishful thinking. Either way. Woodcrest is faster, and consumes less power.

more (old) woodcrest

I said that the Woodcrest is 85 watts.The current Xeons are 130 - 140 watts.

The problem with this site is that it doesn't carry part of the conversation over, so that sometimes an answer is out of sync with what you see.

The question was which chip was 85 watts. I see, however, that it came out wrong, because the entire post going back is zapped.
  • Reply 320 of 946
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member

Saw that at cnnfn.com. Think I'll wait for Merom in August, although current MBPs are tempting. June and July should be VERY interesting.