Briefly: Vista on Macs; iTunes in-flight; MS iLife?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
At least one Mac User has succeeded in installing Microsoft's Vista operating system on an Intel Mac, while other reports tout the possibility of iTunes access on airliners and a push by Microsoft to offer an alternative to Apple's iLife digital lifestyle suite.



Vista running on Intel Macs



A seasoned Mac user has managed to install and boot a pre-release copy of Microsoft's next-generation Windows Vista operating system on an Intel Mac, though the process was not trivial.



According to a report on the OSx86 Project website, installing Vista has proved to be a challenge even with Apple's recent release of Boot Camp. Although several users have been able to get the installer to work, this users is believed to be one of the first to get Vista up and running.



The user has taken screenshots of Vista finally running on his Intel iMac, but says he was forced to delete the Mac OS X partition of his hard drive in order to get the OS to launch.



iTunes on airline seat-backs?



This one is interesting. Aircraft in-flight entertainment (IFE) system providers are reported to have held talks with Apple on the possibility of licensing its iTunes media download software for airlines' own systems.



As part of the overall initiative, passengers would be able to use frequent-flyer miles to download music and videos on to iPod MP3 players in-flight, according to a report on Flight Global.



"We?ve had lots of discussions with Apple,? said Thales vice-president and in-flight systems general manager Brad Foreman last week at Aircraft Interiors Expo in Hamburg. "The key is to get them to see the value of hosting iTunes on an aircraft. Is it a big enough market for them to be interested in? I?d try to do it tomorrow if they said yes."



Apple is reportedly aware of the potential in-flight market, but in order to license an onboard system offering would need to re-engineer the its iTunes FairPlay digital rights management (DRM) software to allow songs downloaded mid-flight to be transferred back on the user's hard disk when they arrive back home.



Meanwhile, the report also notes that "several airlines" have requested iPod docks (or USB ports) be built into the seat-backs future aircrafts, which would allowing passengers to browse iTunes through the airline's IFE system before transferring music directly to the MP3 player.



Microsoft developing its own iLife suite?



Microsoft is said to be developing a competing product to Apple's GarageBand, code-named "Monaco". According to Microsoft Watch, the software is "very similar" to Apple's entry-level music creation application, and will be optimised for Vista and its OS X-like "Aero" user interface.



In fact, the Redmond, Wash.-based software giant may plan a full onslaught against Apple's iLife with a digital lifestyle package of its own, the report hints. This news is bolstered by rumors that the company is also developing its own image-sharing application under the code-named "Max".
«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 66
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by AppleInsider

    Microsoft developing its own iLife suite?



    Microsoft is said to be developing a competing product to Apple's GarageBand, code-named "Monaco". According to Microsoft Watch, the software is "very similar" to Apple's entry-level music creation application, and will be optimised for Vista and its OS X-like "Aero" user interface.



    In fact, the Redmond, Wash.-based software giant may plan a full onslaught against Apple's iLife with a digital lifestyle package of its own, the report hints. This news is bolstered by rumors that the company is also developing its own image-sharing application under the code-named "Max".




    If MS did this and it rocked it would be great
  • Reply 2 of 66
    jimmy01jimmy01 Posts: 11member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Anders

    If MS did this and it rocked it would be great



    Microshit will probably do this; will it rock? As hard as all the other 'innovative' garbage it has come up with over the years.



    Who will use it? The same idiots that use Wincrap and think it's actually a good thing.
  • Reply 3 of 66
    irelandireland Posts: 17,685member
    Funk that shit!!
  • Reply 4 of 66
    Golly, Microsoft is thinking of copying Apple's successful innovative software. Who would have guessed??
  • Reply 5 of 66
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Ireland

    Look it's the new logo for Microsofts great new app.















    Look, it's someone with too much time on their hands.
  • Reply 6 of 66
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Anders

    If MS did this and it rocked it would be great



    Agreed. Competition against Apples major consumer flagship, would be welcomed!
  • Reply 7 of 66
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by wilco

    Look, it's someone with too much time on their hands.



    Look, it's Google Images.
  • Reply 8 of 66
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

    Agreed. Competition against Apples major consumer flagship, would be welcomed!



    Exactly. We really don´t know if the current i-apps really are the best possible, since noone really have tried to take up the challenge.



    More cometition would show if it could be done better.
  • Reply 9 of 66
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Anders

    If MS did this and it rocked it would be great



    And it would be completely out of character.
  • Reply 10 of 66
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Redmond photocopiers at ludicrous speed!!!
  • Reply 11 of 66
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    MS Bashing is soooo 1995 and BORING!



    Get with the program, people.
  • Reply 12 of 66
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Anders

    If MS did this and it rocked it would be great



    What's with the "if"?



    Ah yes, past history of MS writing any software that "rocked".
  • Reply 13 of 66
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Whether it rocks or not, MS will be able to get this software into millions of peoples hands. Apple will be forced to scrutinize their own offerings to ensure they really are superior after all.



    I welcome this and any other challenges that force Apple to continually improve their offerings. C'mon guys, look for the silver lining!
  • Reply 14 of 66
    Please do bring it on Microsoft!

    The more competition the better.

    Even though I higly enjoy iLife, I still have some issues with it, so the more apple is pushed to keep improving, the happier I will be come iLife 07 8)
  • Reply 15 of 66
    irelandireland Posts: 17,685member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Anders

    MS Bashing is soooo 1995 and BORING!



    Get with the program, people.




    "Get with the program" is soooooo 1998 Anders.



    Get with the app. mannn!!
  • Reply 16 of 66
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Anders

    MS Bashing is soooo 1995 and BORING!



    Get with the program, people.




    Aww, cut them some slack.



    I get the feeling most of them hadn't even been born by 1995.
  • Reply 17 of 66
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Anders

    Exactly. We really don´t know if the current i-apps really are the best possible, since noone really have tried to take up the challenge.



    More cometition would show if it could be done better.




    Jesus man! Now I understand why so many people use Winshit! 99.9% of the world population is dumber than a bag of hammers!



    Yes competition is good, but you're expecting MICROSHIT to do it? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHA



    Wake up you fool.



    If those idiots get anything remotely working...Apple will iTunes them all over again by releasing their own iLife on Windoze effectively destroying any mediocre attempt by Microshit to flood the market with more garbage! The iLife is already Universal in case you need a clue!
  • Reply 18 of 66
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Jimmy01

    Jesus man! Now I understand why so many people use Winshit! 99.9% of the world population is dumber than a bag of hammers!



    Yes competition is good, but you're expecting MICROSHIT to do it? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHA



    Wake up you fool.



    If those idiots get anything remotely working...Apple will iTunes them all over again by releasing their own iLife on Windoze effectively destroying any mediocre attempt by Microshit to flood the market with more garbage! The iLife is already Universal in case you need a clue!




    Did your mommy give you sugared cereal this morning?
  • Reply 19 of 66
    Quote:

    Originally posted by wilco

    Did your mommy give you sugared cereal this morning?



    That obvious huh?
  • Reply 20 of 66
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Jimmy01

    Jesus man! Now I understand why so many people use Winshit! 99.9% of the world population is dumber than a bag of hammers!



    Yes competition is good, but you're expecting MICROSHIT to do it? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHA



    Wake up you fool.



    If those idiots get anything remotely working...Apple will iTunes them all over again by releasing their own iLife on Windoze effectively destroying any mediocre attempt by Microshit to flood the market with more garbage! The iLife is already Universal in case you need a clue!




    Two things here:



    1. Apple iLife for PC's would effectively eliminate one reason to buy a Mac (maybe not entirely, but the incentive would be less for many people). iTunes exists in the Windows world to support iPods and for no other reason. What hardware would a Windows release of iLife support?



    2. Using terms like "MICROSHIT" (twice now in the thread) doesn't help make your point, and makes you seem more like the type of zealot we get sterotyped as. It just doesn't help your credibility, or that of this site.
Sign In or Register to comment.