Apple releases Aperture 1.1

Comments

• Reply 41 of 136
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

[B]They're equally reliable, so that shouldn't be a problem.

That's debatable at best. Canons, to me, seem more cheaply made (I'm talking about the Rebel line). They are plasticy, they feel weird when holding them, and they are very lightweight. Lightweight is good when it comes to snapshot photography, but pro photography requires some balance that only cameras that have decent weight can deliver.

Mind you, I'm not talking about the chip inside the camera, the parts they use, or the glass available for it. I'm specifically talking about the way they *feel* when you hold them. That's very important in pro photography (which hmurchison plans to do, in some way).

Quote:

The manufacturers do things differently though, and one might prefer one over the other because of the way the features are implimented.

One company has a feature on the camera body, where it's easy to get to, and the other may have it buried in a menu, and vice versa.

That's true, and I see why some people might prefere Canon over Nikon or vice-versa. Canons have more glass options available, whereas Nikons are generally cheaper to get (the entry/mid-level cameras anyway) yet they also feel sturdier and have a better UI.

In the end, it all comes down to how each camera feels in one's hands. That's why I suggested he go and try one.
  • Reply 42 of 136
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

In the end, it all comes down to how each camera feels in one's hands. That's why I suggested he go and try one. [/B]

Although it's generally recognized that Nikon has better build quality, it's also recognized that Canon has better sensors. Feel is important, but one could argue that image quality trumps all.
  • Reply 43 of 136
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Yes, and I mentioned that as well. But that comes on a premium: Nikon D50 is $549 (Wolf Camera) and Rebel XT is anywhere around $899 to $999.

It all depends on the priorities and there's always an opportunity cost to consider when deciding for or against Nikon/Canon.
  • Reply 44 of 136
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    For those who have been concerned about not getting the coupon from Apple if you bought Aperture previously because you don't live in the USA, there is good news.

From robgalbraith.com

"Apple has also introduced a rebate program for licensed users of Aperture 1.0/1.0.1, whereby current Aperture owners will receive an e-coupon to be used towards purchases at an online Apple Store through September 30, 2006. In the U.S., licensed owners are eligible for an e-coupon worth US$200 (US$100 for academic copies of the software). Other regions worldwide will be offering similar rebates, says Paulsen, though it may take a day before Apple's collection of global sites are all updated to include information on the rebate in that region. In Canada, the rebate is CDN$250 (or CDN$130 for academic copies); in the UK, £130 (£80 for academic copies)."
  • Reply 45 of 136
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    As I said in the other thread, $299. is a much better price point for Aperture.

The big question is, how will Apple compete with Lightroom once it's folded into Adobe CS 3?
  • Reply 46 of 136
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

The only problem is for those who actually use only FCP, fewer people each year, by my count.

Fewer? I was under the impression that the users were increasing quite a bit...
  • Reply 47 of 136
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Yes, and I mentioned that as well. But that comes on a premium: Nikon D50 is $549 (Wolf Camera) and Rebel XT is anywhere around $899 to $999.

It all depends on the priorities and there's always an opportunity cost to consider when deciding for or against Nikon/Canon.

I think that we will see the price of the Rebel drop $100. Usually shortly after Canon's rebates of camera's is over, the price drops.

Right now, the price of the Rebel at Wolf is $799.99, with the 18 - 55mm zoom, and a free Canon printer, after rebates good through June, I think.

The price of the D50 at Wolf is $599 minus a one week $50 coupon, with a 28 - 80 mm lens. Unless that's a typo throughout the site, it's an odd combination for that camera as a normal zoom.

http://www.wolfcamera.com/
  • Reply 48 of 136
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

Fewer? I was under the impression that the users were increasing quite a bit...

No. I meant that fewer users each year were opting to JUST use FCP. More are opting to use several programs with it. That's one reason why Apple decided to offer the whole shebang together, rather than each program by itself, in addition to the suite. Most people were buying the suite anyway.
  • Reply 49 of 136
    Arg! I meant to edit, and...
  • Reply 50 of 136
    copelandcopeland Posts: 298member
    Interesting; 2 pages of posts and only one talking about performance. Apple claims a lot of improvments, are they correct?

As for the camera; I'm a Canon guy, I own the Rebel 350d and I love it; but I'm no pro.
  • Reply 51 of 136
    Just HOW does v1.1 compare to 1.0?? On a MacBook Pro? End the camera talk guys...you can hit up dpreview.com or something for that. Geez.
  • Reply 52 of 136
    Aperture 1.1 is running very well on the dual 1.83GHz iMac, and is really fast although I am using only JPEG images. However, the images load instantly and you can drag the Loupe tool across the list of images and they show in it instantly, no waiting for them to load.
  • Reply 53 of 136
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    In dark aeras, the new derawtisator is better than the first version : no more white spots.

The only thing that do not work is auto noise compensation : I do not see anything. Some other people also related this

For speed : from a 5D raw file switching from 1,0 to 1,1 take a typical 3 seconds.
  • Reply 54 of 136
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:

Arg! I meant to edit, and...

Happens to all of us.
  • Reply 55 of 136
    I've got it running on 1.83 Ghz MBP, with 1.5GB RAM. It seems to run quick enough. I can't compare it to anything, since this is the first time I've run it. I'm perfectly content with its performance so far.
  • Reply 56 of 136
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

Ok, lets clear up a misconception here.

It's not a 200 dollar rebate. It's 200 dollars of credit at the apple store. which has to be used within 6 months (September 30th, 2006)

Not as good, but still pretty cool.
  • Reply 57 of 136
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Simple Ranger

Although it's generally recognized that Nikon has better build quality, it's also recognized that Canon has better sensors. Feel is important, but one could argue that image quality trumps all.

There is some merit, a heavier camera can be more stable just by inertia, rigidity, durability or shock dampening. Weight is only part of the story anyway, though if it means a more durable camera or otherwise, then it can be good. Still, too much weight might be unweildy and tiring for a shooter, the weight of dragging everything around (tripod, laptop, camera, lenses, etc.) can be a consideration too.

I don't think a single issue is necessarily enough to kill a deal though. Normally I don't care what brand except that the camera is good and doesn't require proprietary crap. On that last part, the fact that Nikon had obfuscated or encrypted the white balance table in their raw files in their D2X cameras gives me the chills.
  • Reply 58 of 136
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    The canon 20,30 D and 5D, 10 D ... do not have a cheap build. Some professional have serious accidents with their 20 D without serious damage.

The only real cheap thing with those bodies are the trap door, who is the same since the D30 ...
  • Reply 59 of 136
    Hi, I dont mean to intrude this thread with my question but i really need help . Yesterday, I updated Aperture to 1.1 1C107 now I am keep getting this.

Image here

Can anybody help me please?

It used to work before the update

I am very sorry about the former image hickups
  • Reply 60 of 136
    Quote:

Originally posted by macuser74

Hi, I dont mean to intrude this thread with my question but i really need help . Yesterday, I updated Aperture to 1.1 1C107 now I am keep getting this.

Can anybody help me please?

It used to work before the update

so THAT'S why I keep getting a prompt for a user name and password. That image is not viewable without logging in first