If Apple asked "you" what apps you would like that are not available on the Mac...

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
.. what would they be? and why?



To narrow it a bit you can only choose 3 apps that you personally could use that are not available or 3 apps that you would like to see that you may not use but you know it would help bring in more market share.



(note: this isn't to convince software companies to create or port there apps, instead it's to have Apple create similar apps that are user friendly)



The apps I wish would be available are:



AutoCad -> my girlfriend uses it alot and if it were available for a Mac she would switch just like me (well she'll probably switch anyways.. )



Sap2000 -> Same reason as above.



those are the 2 that I think are most important, that way (Civil) Engineers would be inclined to switch to Macs.



Well that's my 2 cents, I would love to hear (or in this case read) what you guys and gals think!!



Btw this is just hipotetical (sp?)
«134567

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 123
    iveive Posts: 23member
    SolidWorks should be nice...



    And the Windows media 10 codec
  • Reply 2 of 123
    trobertstroberts Posts: 701member
    I like Access, but I know Microsoft will not create a version for the Mac. Their web site says there is not enough demand for them to port it, but I think it is because having a Mac version of Access would make it easier for people to move to the Mac since it is one of the "must-have-Windows-only" applications. I am sure there are technical reasons that would make it difficult to port, but nothing Microsoft can't do if they put an honest effort into it.



    Hopefully, Apple will create a database that is a true RDMS, not a flat-file like the one that comes with AppleWorks. Two things I would like this database to have is support for ObjC and use IB for the UI.
  • Reply 3 of 123
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,219member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by troberts

    I like Access, but I know Microsoft will not create a version for the Mac. Their web site says there is not enough demand for them to port it, but I think it is because having a Mac version of Access would make it easier for people to move to the Mac since it is one of the "must-have-Windows-only" applications. I am sure there are technical reasons that would make it difficult to port, but nothing Microsoft can't do if they put an honest effort into it.



    Hopefully, Apple will create a database that is a true RDMS, not a flat-file like the one that comes with AppleWorks. Two things I would like this database to have is support for ObjC and use IB for the UI.




    Oh, for heaven's sake. Access is a POS that could never succeed in the marketplace on its own merits. If Microsoft had not bundled it in Office from the start, it would be remembered less fundly than Bob. If you want an Apple-developed RDMS, FileMaker is a wonderful product. The RDMS from the Apple subsidiary is but one of several professional RDMSes on the Mac. Like FileMaker, 4th Dimension is a cross-platform DBMS from a veteran Mac developer. If these are too rich for your blood, look no further than the Developer Tools CD that shipped with your computer or OS. It contains fully-functional OpenBase. You can't beat the price.
  • Reply 4 of 123
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Mr. Me

    Oh, for heaven's sake. Access is a POS that could never succeed in the marketplace on its own merits. If Microsoft had not bundled it in Office from the start, it would be remembered less fundly than Bob. If you want an Apple-developed RDMS, FileMaker is a wonderful product. The RDMS from the Apple subsidiary is but one of several professional RDMSes on the Mac. Like FileMaker, 4th Dimension is a cross-platform DBMS from a veteran Mac developer. If these are too rich for your blood, look no further than the Developer Tools CD that shipped with your computer or OS. It contains fully-functional OpenBase. You can't beat the price.



    He's not debating that Access is a POS. He's saying some people need it regardless of what else is available.
  • Reply 5 of 123
    MSN 7.5. Yep I realise we have Messenger for Mac, but it sucks real bad.



    I have the most amazing of computers (iMac G5 iSight) that I do heaps of cool things with. I've never regretted switching, but talking to my friends online is a big deal to me, and having MSN with iSight support would make my Mac experience totally complete. but instead not having this option is the only negative I have encountered since switching to Mac pre-Christmas.



    Dan
  • Reply 6 of 123
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    nm - mods pls delete this.
  • Reply 7 of 123
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    1. KOffice 2.0.

    2. FULL Windows Media Codec 10+ support.

    3. uTorrent.

    4. K3B

    5. Foobar
  • Reply 8 of 123
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    1. Something like Microsoft Streets and Trips, preferably with GPS support

    2. Project Management App that can not only read, but also write MS-Project files (.mpp)

    3. A spreadsheet as part of iWork that can read and write Excel files if needed



    These are the three I would give my first-born for.



    Oh, and for Yahoo Messenger to start supporting voice chat on MacOSX!



    Cheers
  • Reply 9 of 123
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    A good PSX and N64 emulator.
  • Reply 10 of 123
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by kim kap sol

    A good PSX and N64 emulator.



    SixtyForce was updated recently you know...



    There's also Mupen64, which gives pretty good results. As far as PSX emulators are concerned though - it's all gone downhill ever since Sony bought over Connetix Virtual Game Station.



    edit: I was messing around looking for a link to Mupen64 and I found out it was a universal binary already in November 2005!
  • Reply 11 of 123
    trobertstroberts Posts: 701member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Mr. Me

    If these are too rich for your blood, look no further than the Developer Tools CD that shipped with your computer or OS. It contains fully-functional OpenBase. You can't beat the price.



    I looked at the packages in my Tiger DVD and I was not able to find the OpenBase installation package so I went to the OpenBase web site and downloaded the latest version for OS X which includes administration tools. I also saw OpenBase has Objective-C interface APIs. From what little I have read I think OpenBase is what I am looking for and will keep me busy for a while.
  • Reply 12 of 123
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    3D Studio MAX - Its the only thing that we have a suite of PCs left for. If this was available for MacOS then we could go 100% Mac . . . maybe.
  • Reply 13 of 123
    Solidworks, AutoCAD and 3DSMAX
  • Reply 14 of 123
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by yama



    edit: I was messing around looking for a link to Mupen64 and I found out it was a universal binary already in November 2005!




    This isn't quite true. The Universal Binary only got released less than a month ago while the 0.5 PPC version has been around since about Nov 2005.



    Mupen is not what I'd consider a "good N64 emulator". I'm looking for a good one.
  • Reply 15 of 123
    1. Microsoft Money (Quicken kinda sucks)

    2. AutoDesk G.I.S. Software



    Don't know of anymore.
  • Reply 16 of 123
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,773member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by tilt

    1. Something like Microsoft Streets and Trips, preferably with GPS support

    2. Project Management App that can not only read, but also write MS-Project files (.mpp)

    3. A spreadsheet as part of iWork that can read and write Excel files if needed



    These are the three I would give my first-born for.



    Oh, and for Yahoo Messenger to start supporting voice chat on MacOSX!



    Cheers




    1. Absolutely.



    2. It's already here. And since Apple is listed as a user, it must be good.



    3. It's coming in January. It has to be....
  • Reply 17 of 123
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Frank777

    2. It's already here. And since Apple is listed as a user, it must be good.



    Thanks for the link Frank.



    Cheers
  • Reply 18 of 123
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,146member
    1. Adobe Premiere Pro

    2. Adobe Audition

    3. Chief Architect
  • Reply 19 of 123
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    1. 3DS MAX

    2. Spreadsheet in iWork

    3. Maya (yeah, it's OSX, but for how long now Autodesk has bought it ?)

    4. Database in iWork

    5. AutoCAD, not because it's the best (because it isn't), but because it's an industry standard. Like it or not. (Same more or less for 3DS Max, BTW.)
  • Reply 20 of 123
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 890member
    1. Fill out iWork fully so it can totally replace AppleWorks. Include a spreadsheet and a FileMaker Jr. database.



    2. An easy Firewire based syncing app that will let me keep my iMac and PB in sync.



    3. Purchase Parallels and bring it up to a high standard - and drive MS nuts.



    4. Aperture Jr. for us less talented.
Sign In or Register to comment.