iPod AV?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hey this is my first post here but I had to ask if anyone had seen these pictures around the net? I got these e-mailed to me from a mate. Probably a hoax though!

BENj

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It is fake. I suggest you post future unannounced products in the "Future Hardware" forums. Welcome to Apple Insider, enjoy your stay!

• Reply 2 of 21
    benjbenj Posts: 68member
    cool will do

• Reply 3 of 21
    and another!

• Reply 4 of 21
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    This concept looks cool in faked photos, but imagine the reality of such a thing, the smudgy fingerprints all over the tactile-feedbackless display. Yuck.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Listen to Fridays episode of the Daily Breakfast, and you'll never look at Tom Cruise's photo the same way again.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

This concept looks cool in faked photos, but imagine the reality of such a thing, the smudgy fingerprints all over the tactile-feedbackless display. Yuck.

You must never wash your hands, because i use my finger on my Palm Treo 650 all the time and it never gets smudgy.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MovieCutter

You must never wash your hands, because i use my finger on my Palm Treo 650 all the time and it never gets smudgy.

How often do you wash your hands? Every half hour? There's a reason fingerprints are a common forensic tool, and that a smart would-be criminal doesn't merely wash his hands to avoid leaving fingerprints -- human skin, even very clean human skin, is oily, and on contact with any surface leaves that oil and others residues behind.

Should I now respond with a smug question back to you about when the last time was you had your eyes checked?

If you never catch any reflected glare, you might not notice fingerprints. Maybe your skin is naturally drier than some other people have. But any smooth glassy surface like the front of an iPod will get smudgy over time from repeated direct contact with human fingers -- your condescending aspersions about the personal hygiene of others won't change that.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Just wiped my greasy fingers that I haven't washed since I got up all over the face of my Treo, turned it on, can't see smudges or fingerprints at all. I'm not saying they won't exist, but with the screen on, you can't see it. Just my observation. Same thing has been true for Palm devices for years. You can touch them with your fingers, no problems, especially with the screen on. Unless you touch the screen after eating peanut butter and jelly with your hands, this whole "it'll show smudging...it's stupid to have a touch screen" argument is bunk.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by MovieCutter

Just wiped my greasy fingers that I haven't washed since I got up all over the face of my Treo, turned it on, can't see smudges or fingerprints at all. I'm not saying they won't exist, but with the screen on, you can't see it. Just my observation. Same thing has been true for Palm devices for years. You can touch them with your fingers, no problems, especially with the screen on. Unless you touch the screen after eating peanut butter and jelly with your hands, this whole "it'll show smudging...it's stupid to have a touch screen" argument is bunk.

Agreed! Where there's a will there's a way.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    A new one I received through an e-mail- Quite convincing (the reflection is as if it were turned on it's side unlike the one previously posted) and there is a hint of a basic user interface.

BENj
  • Reply 11 of 21
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    BenJ: How do you want to discuss these "emailed pictures"? As a private non-Apple related mock-up or as something leaked from Apple? I guarantee that if you chose the first option it will get a much better reception but its your choice
  • Reply 12 of 21
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenJ

"We have him in our sight. The micro transmitter we implanted in his molar tooth works perfectly"
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Anders- It depends who I work for doesn't it?? (lol just kiddin) Look I know these pics are fake but it's nice to see some concepts flying around! I run a music web-site so I get a lot of these e-mails from people who say they know more than they do (trying to spur a rumour mill!) After-all chances of Apple leaking images this obvious are minute aren't they? Just some fakes are more convincing than others!

BENj
  • Reply 14 of 21
    jkcjkc Posts: 10member
    what about a removable stylus to use with the virtual click wheel? that would go well with an iCal feature...
  • Reply 15 of 21
    martin cmartin c Posts: 32member
    The only thing I worry about with this touch-sensitive screen, is scratches. The acrylic cover on the iPod Nano and iPod Video get enough scratches from dust inside cases. Hopefully they redesign the plastic layer otherwise this supposed touch-sensitive iPod is gonna look like shit in a day.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Martin C

The only thing I worry about with this touch-sensitive screen, is scratches. The acrylic cover on the iPod Nano and iPod Video get enough scratches from dust inside cases. Hopefully they redesign the plastic layer otherwise this supposed touch-sensitive iPod is gonna look like shit in a day.

Thats probably why its not out already...
  • Reply 17 of 21
    I doubt it will be an acrylic screen like the previous generations of iPod- that would be a foolish thing to do after we know how scratched iPods currently get. A design change is in order and that shouldn't be too much of a ridiculous idea. The question is- the ipod screen always seamlessly integrates with the full front half of the iPod- this is a design feature of all generations of iPod- if Apple wish to do this again they will have to look at the practicability of doing so as no doubt a touch sensitive screen could not run across the entire face?

I'll leave it in your hands!

BENj
  • Reply 18 of 21
    This is pretty cool if you ignore the crappy ending!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myCuW...arch=ipod%20Av
  • Reply 19 of 21
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenJ

This is pretty cool if you ignore the crappy ending!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myCuW...arch=ipod%20Av

A commerical like that would be sick, very apple-esq. I don't think the ending was crappy at all. The ipod itself when playing was faded but that's what you get with a fake commerical so it's understandable.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    The trouble with this modern era of sophisticated CG mockups flying around the web is that they set an unreasonable bar. Of course made up stuff looks great-- it isn't constrained by engineering.

Then Apple comes out with an evolutionary, somewhat more AV capable iPod that actually has to work and everybody says "Meh. What happened to that really cool thing we made up that they were supposed to release?"