Apple offers free computer take-back program

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Beginning in June, Apple Computer will extend its recycling program to offer new Mac buyers free recycling of their old computer equipment, the company said on Friday.

US customers who buy a new Mac through the Apple Store or Apple?s retail stores will receive free shipping and environmentally friendly disposal of their old computer.

Equipment received by the program in the US will be recycled domestically and no hazardous material will shipped overseas, Apple said.

Earlier this week, the Mac and iPod maker was named a ?Forward Green Leader,? one of the top ten environmentally progressive companies recognized by the Sierra Club and its investment advisor, Forward Management.

?Apple is committed to supporting our customers and protecting the environment throughout the entire product life cycle, from purchase through to retirement,? said Philip Schiller, Apple?s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. ?Now we are making it even easier for Apple?s customers to safely and affordably recycle their used computers and iPods.?

Apple's free take-back program is an extension of its existing US recycling program, which has recycled more than 90 percent of electronic equipment collected since 2001. The company also operates a free drop-off recycling location at its headquarters in Cupertino for used computer systems and selected home electronics.

Along with its recycling program extension, Apple also announced that the fifth generation iPod, iPod nano and iPod shuffle are 100 percent compliant with the upcoming restrictions of hazardous substances (RoHS) in California and Europe, which are recognized as the new global standard for environmental regulation.

iPod?s RoHS compliance comes months ahead of the July 1 deadline set by the European Union, and most of the materials covered by the RoHS directive, including mercury, cadmium, chromium VI and brominated flame retardants, were voluntarily eliminated from all Apple products years ago.

Additionally, Apple said its iPod power adapters now exceed Energy Star efficiency requirements and already meet California?s stricter appliance efficiency regulations, which are scheduled to take effect July 1, 2008.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Way to go Apple and take the lead on these important environmental issues!
  • Reply 2 of 27
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    The iPod take-back program is kind of silly, it only seems to serve as getting inexpensive replacement parts off the market. You can get more money by selling even a broken iPod on eBay than you can by selling it back to Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

The iPod take-back program is kind of silly, it only seems to serve as getting inexpensive replacement parts off the market. You can get more money by selling even a broken iPod on eBay than you can by selling it back to Apple.

If you're not looking for the money, then this is a an environmentally sound solution to your discards.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cubert

Take the lead? Seems to me they're just trying to catch up to the other vendors out there.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Take the lead? Seems to me they're just trying to catch up to the other vendors out there.

Examples would be nice. I know of PC Recycle but I don't know of a Dell store in town where I can take my computer or even an address to ship it. Would be nice too because then maybe I could dispose of all these crap dells my parents got from their office.

Anyways back to the subject at hand. I was kind of hoping that there would be a 10% towards your next purchase option on there like they have for iPods. That would make it more desirable.

Also keep in mind people that your gen one won't sell for very much anyways... Plus the hassle of dealing with scammers when buying and selling apple goods on eBay almost makes it not worth it.

I think that the recycling program will most likely be more useful for macs because they depreciate in value faster then the iPods do because iPods die faster.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    I don't understand why people would give away their computers to the company or even anyone. I workd hard for the money and I want to get somehitng back from it.

Also, if you're going to give it away, why not give it to schools or something who need it more than the garbage crusher in San Demas?

Just my thoughts.

This is where aApple gets ridiculous.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Wouldn't a better solution be to ship these old Macs out to needy third world countries? I'm sorry, but if this "trash and buy" society needs to be this way, at least pass the "trash" onto the people who need it.

Maybe this needs to be an initiative from a charity.

I just hate the thought of people upgrading iMac G4s and decent computers going to waste. If it were any of us, I'm sure we'd all be selling them on or using them for some crazy computer geekery idea...
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Personally, I sell all old computers on eBay, if I'm simply upgrading. My latest update to a MBP though was because my iBook was toast, the logic board gave out. My guess would be that this is the most common case with the take back program.

seriously, you'd have to be a total idiot to give apple a working mac for this program. You're almost certain to get money for it on ebay. Or just keep it and give it to your kids or something
  • Reply 9 of 27
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cubert

Ha! Apple has been criticised for being so lax in this area. Hp always takes the lead in thse matters.

Most other companies, including Dell, have been doing this for years. That's why Apple has finally given in to the enviornmental groups that have been hounding them about it.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by drakethegreat

[B]Examples would be nice. I know of PC Recycle but I don't know of a Dell store in town where I can take my computer or even an address to ship it. Would be nice too because then maybe I could dispose of all these crap dells my parents got from their office.

Dell store. That's a joke, right?

They will send you a box, if you've thrown yours away. So will Hp.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    sulosulo Posts: 1member
    Why would you not want to sell your old equipment to help pay for your next Mac? I mean, I'm not very wealthy, which means any amount of money I can squeeze out of my old computer is worth the try. I suppose this is good for the people that just buy computers and toss out their old ones, but really; who does that? I always sell my stuff. It just seems strange that they will not offer any type of trade-in value for your computer. Oh well, it is a great step forward in enviromentally sound disposal policy.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by sulo

Why would you not want to sell your old equipment to help pay for your next Mac? I mean, I'm not very wealthy, which means any amount of money I can squeeze out of my old computer is worth the try. I suppose this is good for the people that just buy computers and toss out their old ones, but really; who does that? I always sell my stuff. It just seems strange that they will not offer any type of trade-in value for your computer. Oh well, it is a great step forward in enviromentally sound disposal policy.

You don't have to be the original owner if you have an Hp. I don't know how it works for Apple or Dell.

But, at some point in time, a computer is simply going to lose its usefullness. Either is is broken, and it doesn't pay to fix it, or it is simply too old to be of much use.

What does one do with it then?

Recycle.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Computers as well as electronic gadgets in general contain very toxic elements such as lead and mercury. Electronics are the fastest growing segment of toxic waste in landfills. Even though extremely small amounts of toxins are in each gadget, hundreds of thousands of such gadgets in a landfill will create significant amounts of contamination.

Most people in the general public will use a computer until it no longer works. Most people don't buy a new computer simply because their graphics card is outdated. After it no longer works they just throw it in the garbage.

Computers are being thrown away in increasingly large numbers. These giveback programs are important.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

But, at some point in time, a computer is simply going to lose its usefullness. Either is is broken, and it doesn't pay to fix it, or it is simply too old to be of much use.

What does one do with it then?

Well, if you're like me, salvage the working parts and build a cheap router/file server/MAME box. But yes, every product has a lifecycle, so eventually it's either trashed or recycled. So good on Apple for making it easier to recycle.

However, it would be better if, for every Mac you buy, you get get a credit for recycling an older one at a later date (rather than having to do it at the time of purchase). That way people who might want to keep their old Mac around for their kids or as a spare machine can recycle it when it truly isn't useful anymore.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Why is everyone talking about selling?

Obviously if your upgrading your computer and/or ipod you would be selling it.

This is about recycling broken machines, and NO ONE will want.

No one is going to buy your broken iMac g3.

No one is going to buy your broken ipod 3g.

Someone will buy your old imac g4 if it still works.

Someone will buy your old Sawtooth g4.

Half those cases deserves a recycle, the other half you can sell it.

It's about options.

IMO some of you guys would be the morons if you say your going to sell old broken computers that aren't up to date with todays tasks for anything worth money on ebay, unless they can be easily repaired and are actually useful no one wants your old shit.

I have an old compaq laptop from like 3 years ago that is busted.

I checked up on ebay to see how much it's going for.

There were only 2 auctions and it was going for 25USD.

This is because of the massive depreciation on the ever changing wintel machines.

Once I factor in ebay fees for making the listing.

And then the money paypal takes away from the sale.

I would make nothing.

I would be wasting my time to basically give someone else a free computer.

And that would be if the machined WORKED.

THAT is why recycling is a good idea.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

If you're not looking for the money, then this is a an environmentally sound solution to your discards.

And there isnt as much money in reselling refab PCs as there once was, trust me, I have the student loans to prove it.

Most people say

Why buy a used PC for $250 or pay a college kid $150 to rebuild the spyware infested 6-month old PC when you can get one for $299 at the local Costco... friggen comodidization...and to a certin extent they are right, why rebuild the engine when it costs half as much as a whole new god damned car.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    [OT]

Hey Mel, is there a reason you consistently downcase the 'p' in HP?
  • Reply 18 of 27
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

[B]No one is going to buy your broken ipod 3g.

Do a search for "broken iPod" on eBay. Last I checked, they were going for noticably more than Apple was deducting from the price of the new one if you traded it in. As long as there are usable parts, it is still worth something. If the shell is dented or cracked, the logic board fried, LCD broken, hard drive and battery are dead, then it's worth taking to Apple, but only then.

As for computers, you don't have to go through eBay, there are non-profits that are willing to take old computers with at least some functional parts and even give you a reciept that is good for a tax deduction, which is more than what computer makers are offering.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

Why is everyone talking about selling?

Obviously if your upgrading your computer and/or ipod you would be selling it.

This is about recycling broken machines, and NO ONE will want.

No one is going to buy your broken iMac g3.

No one is going to buy your broken ipod 3g.

Someone will buy your old imac g4 if it still works.

Someone will buy your old Sawtooth g4.

Half those cases deserves a recycle, the other half you can sell it.

It's about options.

IMO some of you guys would be the morons if you say your going to sell old broken computers that aren't up to date with todays tasks for anything worth money on ebay, unless they can be easily repaired and are actually useful no one wants your old shit.

I have an old compaq laptop from like 3 years ago that is busted.

I checked up on ebay to see how much it's going for.

There were only 2 auctions and it was going for 25USD.

This is because of the massive depreciation on the ever changing wintel machines.

Once I factor in ebay fees for making the listing.

And then the money paypal takes away from the sale.

I would make nothing.

I would be wasting my time to basically give someone else a free computer.

And that would be if the machined WORKED.

THAT is why recycling is a good idea.

Why would you type out your message like this? Is it a Canadian thing?
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by sjk

[OT]

Hey Mel, is there a reason you consistently downcase the 'p' in HP?

That's the way they do it. Actually, I'm wrong there anyway, as it's really "hp".

But, I tend to capitalise company names, and here it's incorrect.