Apple introduces 17-inch MacBook Pro

Comments

• Reply 61 of 94
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by paix247

Is 2GB *REALLY* the max amount of RAM? Micron (which is what Apple uses) makes a 2GB Memory Module that is the same specs as the 512MB and 1GB that is inside the MacBook Pro.

Crucial sells them for nearly $700 each. It sure would be nice... nobody is willing to try it untill the price comes down I guess.

It has to do with addressability, and the socket. While the OS, and cpu have no problem, the memory controller might.

Even if that didn't, there would need to be enough addressing lines coming from the socket. If those lines (traces) aren't there, then no dice.

Since memory uses a fair amount of power, and produces a fair amount of heat, few laptops can address more than 2GB.
  • Reply 62 of 94
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Is 2GB *REALLY* the max amount of RAM? Micron (which is what Apple uses) makes a 2GB Memory Module that is the same specs as the 512MB and 1GB that is inside the MacBook Pro.

Crucial sells them for nearly $700 each. It sure would be nice... nobody is willing to try it untill the price comes down I guess.

Ouch. I might be willing to spring for a 2GB stick for a notebook, but not this month, and only if there is a good return policy that doesn't sock me with a big restocking fee. I would expect that if the boards are compatible with existing Intel chipsets, then it should work in the MBP.
  • Reply 63 of 94
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

It has to do with addressability, and the socket. While the OS, and cpu have no problem, the memory controller might.

Even if that didn't, there would need to be enough addressing lines coming from the socket. If those lines (traces) aren't there, then no dice.

Since memory uses a fair amount of power, and produces a fair amount of heat, few laptops can address more than 2GB.

But we don't know for sure, do we? Has anyone tried the bigger ram sticks in ANY of the intel macs? Seems likely that someone would have considering people have already done crazier things like swapping CPU's in the imac and mini.
  • Reply 64 of 94
    Quote:

Originally posted by minderbinder

But we don't know for sure, do we? Has anyone tried the bigger ram sticks in ANY of the intel macs? Seems likely that someone would have considering people have already done crazier things like swapping CPU's in the imac and mini.

I have heard a few whispers like "I heard that someone tried it and it worked great" but no real proof. I have also seen laptops with the same Intel Dual Core processors that advertise a 4GB RAM max.
  • Reply 65 of 94
    Quote:

Originally posted by minderbinder

Right! We don't know for sure. But with the heat problems we are seeing, it would be a good conclusion to come to.

I think that Apple would have a problem on their hands if 4GB RAM overheated the machines, and caused them to fail.
  • Reply 66 of 94
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:

Is 2GB *REALLY* the max amount of RAM?

The Intel memory controller can access 2GB DDR2-667 or 4GB DDR2-533 RAM.

But does Apples EFI implementation support them?

Quote:

I have also seen laptops with the same Intel Dual Core processors that advertise a 4GB RAM max.

And this before 2GB modules were even available
  • Reply 67 of 94
    Quote:

Originally posted by spyder

Who the fuck cares about a numeric keypad? This isn't 1996. Deleted by moderator

Ladies and Gentlemen, Steve Jobs.

--

[alloc init]
  • Reply 68 of 94
    Quote:

Originally posted by smalM

The Intel memory controller can access 2GB DDR2-667 or 4GB DDR2-533 RAM.

But does Apples EFI implementation support them?

And this before 2GB modules were even available

If the memory controller can only address 2GB DDR2 RAM, then that is the max.

But, are you talking about per DIMM or total?

If it's per DIMM, then the question is as I left it.
  • Reply 69 of 94
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

Please elaborate.

Don't feed the trolls.

Anytime Apple comes out with something cool, they crawl out from underneath of their rocks.

If you ignore them, they'll quickly go back to www.DellRocks.com
  • Reply 70 of 94
    Quote:

Who the fuck cares about a numeric keypad? This isn't 1996. Deleted by moderator

While I agree that the original post is idiotic, be careful. Karma is a funny thing.
  • Reply 71 of 94
    Quote:

Originally posted by walshbj

a 17" laptop without a numeric keypad? not too smart. no thanks.

What are you? An Accountant?

No? You're not?

Then go back to your swamp, Troll.
  • Reply 72 of 94
    I think this is a great update at a great price.

I use the last generation PowerPC PB17, and while I am tempted to buy this beauty, I will wait.

For me, what I have today works fine, and I will wait for:

1. The Merom chips which burn less power and generate less heat. Longer battery life is critical to me since I do international travel.

2. Wait for the kinks to be worked out. The heat and noise problems in the current 15" MBP's would really piss me off. I suspect these have these problems worked out, but I'll wait for the reviews just to be safe.

3. Finally, I'd like the 2.33GHZ and the x1800 GPU and 160gig hard drives. Not that I need them--well, maybe I need the bigger hard drive since you can always fill a drive--but if I am going to spend 3 grand, I don't mind waiting 6 more months to the maximum for my money and help with the longevity of my investment.

I think my next personal Mac purchase is going to be a Pro desktop.
  • Reply 73 of 94
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Holy shit! I'm sorry everyone, but that's one of the funniest things I've ever read on this forum. I really don't know why it's made me laugh so much - I think it's because it was so unexpected.

But seriously, a numeric keypad can be useful for a few things, but most people don't use them, and to provide one would mean the main keyboard would have to be off-centre. On the other hand, all that extra space in the 17" just seems a bit... wasted. Anyone ever had any ideas of a good use it could be put to?
  • Reply 74 of 94
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BWhaler

1. The Merom chips which burn less power and generate less heat. Longer battery life is critical to me since I do international travel.

3. Finally, I'd like the 2.33GHZ and the x1800 GPU ...

These points seem to contradict each other somewhat.

Also, is Merom meant to use less power? I thought it was the same power, but 20% higher performance at the same clock rate?
  • Reply 75 of 94
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Hopefully the 15" MacBook Pro prices will drop slightly. I don't want the gigantor 17" model but what a 15" with its specs. If I BTOed a 15" with all the goodies it will cost more than the 17" and still not include Dual Layer burning. Lucky for me, I won't be ordering for a few months longer.
  • Reply 76 of 94
    snofsnof Posts: 98member
    Quote:

Wow. Funniest thing I've read all day.
  • Reply 77 of 94
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

I thought it was the same power, but 20% higher performance at the same clock rate? [/B]

Yup!
  • Reply 78 of 94
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

If the memory controller can only address 2GB DDR2 RAM, then that is the max.

But, are you talking about per DIMM or total?

If it's per DIMM, then the question is as I left it.

The 945 addresses 4GB RAM but it can only access 2GB at FSB667.

RAM not DIMM.
  • Reply 79 of 94
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    RIGHT HERE'S THE MONSTER (below)

Final Cut Pro Studio running native at lightning speed!!

Bigger battery that reportedly lasts 5 1/2 hours!!

Nice screen resolution to boot!

If you're in the market for a 17" portable, look no further. If you're not, do! Buy a 15" MacBook Pro or have patience for you know what?
  • Reply 80 of 94
    grrrr....c'mon 13 inch

there's already a 15 inch pro, why the 17 inch before the 13 inch

this is TOOOOOOO BIG