2. Chinless iMac

3. Two colors (black & white)

4. Conore CPU instead of Merom

5. PCIe

6. Aluminum Casing (to make it lighter)

7. As thin as possible

and

23" iMac

Yeah, I agree with that too. I love the aluminium displays Apple sell on their own. I would like them to put the optical drive where the imac base is so the slot if facing towards you. Then get rid of the chin by moving the computer parts to where the drive was. I can't think of a better place to put the ports though because the ethernet needs to be attached to the motherboard.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marvin

I would like them to put the optical drive where the imac base is so the slot if facing towards you. Then get rid of the chin by moving the computer parts to where the drive was. I can't think of a better place to put the ports though because the ethernet needs to be attached to the motherboard.

I wonder why they don't hire you instead of Ive
  • Reply 23 of 35
    vf208vf208 Posts: 49member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

I wonder why they don't hire you instead of Ive

he's not perfect though - I've (pun intended) not forgiven him for that horrendous angle poise mac with silly base - what was he thinking?
  • Reply 24 of 35
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marvin

Yeah, I agree with that too. I love the aluminium displays Apple sell on their own. I would like them to put the optical drive where the imac base is so the slot if facing towards you. Then get rid of the chin by moving the computer parts to where the drive was. I can't think of a better place to put the ports though because the ethernet needs to be attached to the motherboard.

I'm not sure if you have an iMac or not, but I do and the CD/DVD drive is very handy and easy to use right where it is. The iMac G4 had a front mounted CD/DVD drive, and it was much more cumbersome.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by VF208

he's not perfect though - I've (pun intended) not forgiven him for that horrendous angle poise mac with silly base - what was he thinking?

The iMac G4 lamp-style? Most folks don't describe it as "horrendous" at all. Very functional consumer machine for its time, & quite problem-free overall. My one gripe with it is when the keyboard is up against the base, it gets in the way of the fold-down CD tray door. I've always liked the looks of it, myself.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by chris v

The iMac G4 lamp-style? Most folks don't describe it as "horrendous" at all. Very functional consumer machine for its time, & quite problem-free overall. My one gripe with it is when the keyboard is up against the base, it gets in the way of the fold-down CD tray door. I've always liked the looks of it, myself.

Since when did you have access to the opinions "most folk" - anyway I don't care what they think - I still say it was awful - it would have worked better now as display sizes are bigger but back then it seemed poorly weighted with too much base and not enough display.

I think they got the the balance just right with G5 iMac design..
  • Reply 27 of 35
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by VF208

Since when did you have access to the opinions "most folk"

I think I'll create a new user account...

Quote:

- anyway I don't care what they think - I still say it was awful - it would have worked better now as display sizes are bigger but back then it seemed poorly weighted with too much base and not enough display.

I think they got the the balance just right with G5 iMac design..

You might say "awful," but that didn't seem to be the general consensus, anyway. I think it was about right with the 17". though I agree with the 15" the base did seem a bit bulky. I love the functionality of the articulating arm, though. I like the G5 iMac as well. No argument there. I see no pressing need for a radical overhaul.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    I loved the G4 iteration when it was introduced, and then thought the G5 was fantastic when it came out. In their time, as far as all in ones go, each was best in breed. What more can you ask for?
  • Reply 29 of 35
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by netdog

I loved the G4 iteration when it was introduced, and then thought the G5 was fantastic when it came out. In their time, as far as all in ones go, each was best in breed. What more can you ask for?

23"
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Ive had my intel iMac for about a month and a half now and each time I look at it its like "It looks more like artwork than a computer..." Some with OS X...While doing work I just look up at Dashboard and think "Wow..." lol Also I have come to like the chin to it. And for those Windows users if it didn't have a chin they would just be saying even more often "Ok where's the box hidden?" lol
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by chris v

I think I'll create a new user account...

You might say "awful," but that didn't seem to be the general consensus, anyway. I think it was about right with the 17". though I agree with the 15" the base did seem a bit bulky. I love the functionality of the articulating arm, though. I like the G5 iMac as well. No argument there. I see no pressing need for a radical overhaul.

I take your point - I think my opinion changed over time. The arm was an excellent feature in principle - but I can't help thinking it looks like an expensive ladies toy if you get my drift. As for the original iMac - this should be in a museum or an art gallery...

Sorry to waffle on about the design of stuff but I do think apple tends to get it right more often than not. The cube was stunning but the orange and blue powerbooks looked like personalised toilet seats. The titanium powerbook was streets ahead of anything on the market and I think the ipod shuffle is so simple it's brilliant. I think the iMac is up there with the best designs Ive has produced..
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shadow Slayer 26

Ive had my intel iMac for about a month and a half....

The cheeky man - you'd think he'd buy his own!!! (sorry - couldn't resist )
  • Reply 33 of 35
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    How soon before the iMacs are available in black, and their CPUs get bumped up like the MacBook Pros?
  • Reply 34 of 35
    mystmyst Posts: 112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BJNY

How soon before the iMacs are available in black, and their CPUs get bumped up like the MacBook Pros?

Probably a few weeks: the MacBook Pro has been updated something like 3 times since it's introduction in one way or another... oh how the times have changed.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by new imac

hi all this is my first post here at appleinsider but i've been an Apple fan for a long time.

a few days ago, i was reading a review of the core duo iMac at anandtech, and it ended saying that the new iMac was great and all, but that it felt like it was the beggining of the development of the next iMac. it had old design, but new hardware. the conclusion is that, if you can, you should wait t'ill the brand-new completely redesigned iMac, which, according to the article, shouldn't be many months away (pure speculation).

so the question is: is there any possibility of a newly designed iMac in the next months, perhaps along the introduction of the new PowerMac (MacPro)?

The current imac design IS a redesign they've only been using the current body since the 1.9/2.1 g5 isight model, before that it had a different back shape, port placement, weight, etc.

They've never done that to a machine that HASN'T been a redesign.

So that IS the new design a refined one based on the original imac g5.