Hinting at Apple's next-generation AirPort products

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

WiFi is a very limited area network. There will rarely be a problem. Besides there aren't three channels. I believe that the old 11Mbs version used three channels. 54 uses at least five.

"a" has eight, but that's because it is in the 5.4GHz range. g has the same RF link bandwidth as b (30MHz bandwidth), making it the same three non-overlapping channels. It's a problem in any place with a dense population, such as apartments and even suburban subdivisions. The more network links that are active in an area, the more interference they incur on each other.
  • Reply 42 of 46
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

"a" has eight, but that's because it is in the 5.4GHz range. g has the same RF link bandwidth as b (30MHz bandwidth), making it the same three non-overlapping channels. It's a problem in any place with a dense population, such as apartments and even suburban subdivisions. The more network links that are active in an area, the more interference they incur on each other.

Yeah, that's true, I keep forgetting about "G".

Still, I haven't heard of any problems with this yet. It's very popular here in NY as well. I know a number of people and business in Manhattan who use multi-channel technology. They haven't told me of any problems.

You can't worry about all of the people all of the time. I also know people who split the cost of, and share a connection. Some acommodations will be made.

This will be a problem if many more people get wireless, even with one channel. If you're too good, you will find that your neighbor on one side, and then the neighbor on the other side will be doing it anyway.
  • Reply 43 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

This will be a problem if many more people get wireless, even with one channel. If you're too good, you will find that your neighbor on one side, and then the neighbor on the other side will be doing it anyway.

I wasn't aware that it was that widely used. Still, if it's a problem, one could get a 1W transmitter and blast everyone else's networks to unusability.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    Quote:

I wasn't aware that it was that widely used. Still, if it's a problem, one could get a 1W transmitter and blast everyone else's networks to unusability.

Well, I don;'t advise being nasty, though I know you are kidding. Just being realistic. Half of the units being sold now are 108. You can look in the ads from the electronics stores. I'm willing to bet that 99% of the buyers of this equipment won't be so considerate.
  • Reply 45 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross Just being realistic. Half of the units being sold now are 108. You can look in the ads from the electronics stores. I'm willing to bet that 99% of the buyers of this equipment won't be so considerate. [/B]

Probably most of them wouldn't understand even how it works or why they are getting the higher speed.
  • Reply 46 of 46
    Quote:

Probably most of them wouldn't understand even how it works or why they are getting the higher speed.

That's true too. Or care.