Ballmer: No Respect For Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Martin Stein has portion of an interview Steve Ballmer did recently. Click here to read it.

Ballmer sounds childish; when the intervier asks '?couldn't you just buy a Mac without hesitation since Apple opened up their machines for Windows?' he answers 'No, we prefer real PCs'

If this attitude is prevelant at Microsoft it demonstrates an amazing cluelessness. You don't have to like your compition but it's essential that you give them the respect they're due. If you don't they're going to continually clean your clock.

Microsoft's clock is starting to look pretty spotless.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Well, at the moment, he's right, since Apple doesn't have any "real PCs" with Intel chips inside them, only the iMac (all-in-one desktop that uses laptop circuitry), the Mac mini (barebones mini-PC), and the MacBook. When the Mac Pro comes out, that'll be a "real PC".
  • Reply 2 of 36
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    And a "real PC", in your book, is what exactly? A minimum of five fans?
  • Reply 3 of 36
    Eh, or a computer with a desktop processor and a replaceable graphics card, whatever.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Eh, or a computer with a desktop processor and a replaceable graphics card, whatever.

PC = personal computer. So you're saying the vast majority of laptops aren't real PCs?
  • Reply 5 of 36
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I think Ballmer should be happy that there is now a way for Windows to run on Apple hardware. After all, it's just more money for Microsoft in the end, so why should it bother him?
  • Reply 6 of 36
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by glurx

If this attitude is prevelant at Microsoft . . .

It's not. Of the 5 or so people I know at Microsoft, 3 of them own macs. Given that the new macs can run windows, it's highly likely that the other 2 now joined the club.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    You guys don't know Balmer I'm sure he's actually a nice guy
  • Reply 8 of 36
    He actually seems like the kind of guy that would be eccentrically interesting to have lunch with.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

A real PC is a system that has to be thrown out with each new version of Windows. The really sad thing is that Balmer isn't the only clueless person at Microsoft. Anybody remember Mr Gates's comments about how useless the Internet was?
  • Reply 10 of 36
    Apple just currently doesn't have a performance-class expandable x86 desktop right now, since the Powermac hasn't been Intellified yet.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

ummm....no; not per se

It means UPGRADABILITY and EXPANTION SLOTS/BAYS!!!!
  • Reply 12 of 36
    glurxglurx Posts: 1,031member
    Historically a PC has been a computer that runs a version of Windows released in the last couple of years. It can be anything from a tiny laptop to a maxed out gaming machine.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    Well my iMac can have external harddrive, i will be able to upgrade to conroe if i feel like it and i can upgrade my RAM...and of course the software. I bet there is even a way that i could upgrade the graphics card if i want. And wouldn't the Mac Book Pro be a "real PC" I mean come on it runs windows better than other windows laptops in many cases.

I also find it ironic how the people at Bungie studios (halo devolpers) use powermacs...and they are owned by Microsoft...

I don't understand peoples reluctance to get Macs now. They look better, take up less room (well not counting the powermac lol) and have much better software. Also the hardware just WORKS.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by glurx

Historically a PC has been a computer that runs a version of Windows released in the last couple of years.

Historically, "PC" is a term coined by Apple for the Apple II.

My point earlier was that laptops are PCs just as much as desktops are, and customizability and expandability have absolutely zero to do with "PC".
  • Reply 15 of 36
    kiwimackiwimac Posts: 80member
    PC means personal computer, as in not a mainframe or supercomputer, a computer your average joe smoe can have in their homes and offices.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by kiwimac

PC means personal computer, as in not a mainframe or supercomputer, a computer your average joe smoe can have in their homes and offices.

Which includes computers that aren't customizable.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Quote:

i will be able to upgrade to conroe if i feel like it

I know there's an upgrade path from the current Yonah Core Duos to the Merom Core Duos, but where did you see that you could drop in a Conroe? That's a heck of an upgrade path if that's the case. There are quite a few PC motherboards out there now that don't even allow this, including Intel's own offerings, and we know Apple isn't going to be releasing firmware updates to support processor upgrades.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Historically, "PC" is a term coined by Apple for the Apple II.

My point earlier was that laptops are PCs just as much as desktops are, and customizability and expandability have absolutely zero to do with "PC".

I think a little blue company called IBM may dis-agree with that...In fact, IIRC, unitl about 10 years ago, PC Compatible was a copyrighted designation that IBM licenced to third parties for marketing, oince it became a generic term they just let it go, unlike say Coke.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    gregmightdothatgregmightdothat Posts: 1,709member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

I think a little blue company called IBM may dis-agree with that...In fact, IIRC, unitl about 10 years ago, PC Compatible was a copyrighted designation that IBM licenced to third parties for marketing, oince it became a generic term they just let it go, unlike say Coke.

Yeah, not true. You're thinking of IBM PC Compatible.

PC's like the Altair or the Apple II were called PC's way before IBM realized they should get they're act together and started making their own in the early 80's.

edit: Quote from Wikipedia:

Quote:

The phrase "personal computer" was common currency before 1981, and was used as early as 1972 to characterize Xerox PARC's Alto. However, due to the success of the IBM PC, what had been a generic term came to mean specifically a microcomputer compatible with IBM's specification.

• Reply 20 of 36
    If Ballmer means what most PC users mean by "real PC", he means a tower with expansion.