Ballmer: No Respect For Apple

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

If Ballmer means what most PC users mean by "real PC", he means a tower with expansion.

I think he's just trying to somehow put down Apple, and is of the opinion that whatever Apple does make, it is not a "real PC." In that sense, a "real PC" may be merely a computer platform sold in the over-competitive Windows x86 PC market. Apple isn't really in this market.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I admit that Ballmer is a mental midget among giants in Silicon Valley, but Apple is just shooting themself in the foot with crap advertising like this:

http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/
  • Reply 23 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

I admit that Ballmer is a mental midget among giants in Silicon Valley, but Apple is just shooting themself in the foot with crap advertising like this:

http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

Where's Ellen Feiss?
  • Reply 24 of 36
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

He actually seems like the kind of guy that would be eccentrically interesting to have lunch with.

Yes, if you don't mind dining to the deafening shrills of self-frustration as Ballmer struggles to use silverware, followed by the hurling of human feces.

I suppose by "real PCs" he is referring to OEM's who actually support Microsoft Windows on their machines. Apple's attitude is more of, "you can install the piece of shit if you want, but we're not going to help you use the damn thing". I really doubt Ballmer only considers a PC to be real if it has PCI slots and replaceable graphics - 60% of the computer market is now laptops, which don't have these things. Besides, Joe Shmoe doesn't buy a Workstation-class desktop for $3,300. He buys a $399 desktop with monitor and printer at Best Buy, with a $99 mail-in rebate and a $300 Best Buy extended warranty.

I think the bigger discussion here is that Ballmer thinks Apple computers are imaginary.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Ballmer has no respect for Apple.

Fine ! I have no respect for him
  • Reply 26 of 36
    glurxglurx Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

Where's Ellen Feiss?

Yes, even a seemingly stoned of her ass Ellen would be better than the dull, boring, lifeless ad I saw on TV last night. The other ads in this new campaign are equally aweful.

I can't believe Jobs OKed these ads. What the heck was he thinking?
  • Reply 27 of 36
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

And a "real PC", in your book, is what exactly? A minimum of five fans?

Eight fans, a smoke stack and a crew of Southpark Underware Thieves throwing skivvies into the furnace to make the PC go.

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 28 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

I know there's an upgrade path from the current Yonah Core Duos to the Merom Core Duos, but where did you see that you could drop in a Conroe? That's a heck of an upgrade path if that's the case. There are quite a few PC motherboards out there now that don't even allow this, including Intel's own offerings, and we know Apple isn't going to be releasing firmware updates to support processor upgrades.

Ahh sorry, I meant Merom lol.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    naknak Posts: 101member
    Quote:

Originally posted by glurx

Historically a PC has been a computer that runs a version of Windows released in the last couple of years. It can be anything from a tiny laptop to a maxed out gaming machine.

Also, PC = Piece of Crap
  • Reply 30 of 36
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nak

Also, PC = Piece of Crap

Intel Macs are PCs in every single way, so I'd be careful there tiger.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Ballmer has no respect for Apple.

Fine ! I have no respect for him

You weren't "Apple" last time I checked.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    naknak Posts: 101member
    Quote:

Intel Macs are PCs in every single way, so I'd be careful there tiger.

werd. I shall rephrase my statement: Non-Apple computer hardware is generally a piece of crap.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nak

werd. I shall rephrase my statement: Non-Apple computer hardware is generally a piece of crap.

I think Apple has had the same percentage of lemons as the PC industry as a whole has had.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Ballmer's just sour because he can't ship a new operating system in less than six years without removing all the features that make it new.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    bigmigbigmig Posts: 77member
    What about this quote?

Quote:

Ballmer: Honestly, I don't think that [Apple adding the ability to boot Windows] is that important. Actually, it is relatively expensive if a user gets a separate Windows OS for his Mac. Not a lot of people will do this.

Translation: The value-added of Windows is not nearly enough to make it worth the that price we charge for it. I.e., it's a rip-off.

Strikingly honest for Ballmer!
  • Reply 36 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by bigmig

What about this quote?

Translation: The value-added of Windows is not nearly enough to make it worth the that price we charge for it. I.e., it's a rip-off.

Strikingly honest for Ballmer!

I think he meant "most users don't need more than one operating system on their computer, especially when the second one isn't free". Which is true: many people will never think of getting Windows to run on their Macs because Mac OS X is that much better.