Silent recall issued for some MacBook Pro batteries

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Rev. B for the win. It is sad that even Apple falls into the "rush the product to the market" trap. I am tempted by the new 17" Macbook Pro. It will be worth the wait for a new revision I think.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    hydehyde Posts: 9member
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

Rev. B for the win. It is sad that even Apple falls into the "rush the product to the market" trap. I am tempted by the new 17" Macbook Pro. It will be worth the wait for a new revision I think.

Why would Apple wait till Rev. B to change something as simple as this? This should be easy for them to change without any public statements.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but do these people know for sure that the alleged problems they're having aren't simply normal?

The SA forums seem to be showing a very wildly varying set of observed temperatures using the same monitor. I would think that there is something wrong, that is a lot more than can be explained with differences in room temperature.

Quote:

Originally posted by Hyde

Why would Apple wait till Rev. B to change something as simple as this? This should be easy for them to change without any public statements.

If you mean the thermal paste, you are right, it isn't as if anything needs to be re-engineered. Just fix a couple numbers in the assembly manual, distribute them to the assemblers and send out service bulletins to the authorized techs.

I got inside my MBP but I didn't get any of the screws out of the logic board. I don't have a T6 bit so I'll have to order one. It's cute that ifixit is selling the $3 Craftsman T6 screwdriver for $6. My dad has an IR temperature gun, so I may try that this evening just to see how hot the case really gets in actual use.

If I can't get this thing to idle a little cooler, I may just give up on the idea of owning a MBP and revert to my Compaq as my laptop. I hope Apple does introduces a unit with the ULV chips or something else that's cooler on low-intensity use.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Originally posted by JeffDM

If I can't get this thing to idle a little cooler, I may just give up on the idea of owning a MBP and revert to my Compaq as my laptop. I hope Apple does introduces a unit with the ULV chips or something else that's cooler on low-intensity use.

Heavens I hope it doesn't have to come to that... Not a Compcrap!!! The original modder on the SA forums got some decent temps which looks like a few other people were able to replicate. But yeah there were also people that had idle and load temps still quite high after modding their MacBooks.

In theory if you can dissassemble and reassemble your MacBook Pro without much trouble, and clean off all the goop and do the thin layer of arctic silver on just the CPU die, in theory, that should do the trick. Maybe some people are just cleaning the original thermal paste of the chip dies and not off the heatsinks as well

But looks like "your mileage may vary" and "you may totally F*** your warranty" \
  • Reply 25 of 26
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Heavens I hope it doesn't have to come to that... Not a Compcrap!!! The original modder on the SA forums got some decent temps which looks like a few other people were able to replicate. But yeah there were also people that had idle and load temps still quite high after modding their MacBooks.

In theory if you can dissassemble and reassemble your MacBook Pro without much trouble, and clean off all the goop and do the thin layer of arctic silver on just the CPU die, in theory, that should do the trick. Maybe some people are just cleaning the original thermal paste of the chip dies and not off the heatsinks as well

But looks like "your mileage may vary" and "you may totally F*** your warranty" \ [/B]

The difference is that my Compaq is a business notebook is actually pretty nice, thin, light, durable and doesn't get uncomfortably hot for hours, despite being a 1.2GHz PIIIm unit, very fast for the time. It is getting a little old, nearly 4yrs, I just wanted to replace it with something with a backlit keyboard and a little nicer screen.

I will try to disassemble the unit and see if I can substiture the goop with a lot less goop, I just need to buy goop and a T6 screwdriver.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Some overclockers recommend carburettor cleaner for cleaning off the existing thermal paste. Might want to put that on your shopping list... Carb/Choke cleaner worked for me (AMD Athlon64 and nVidia 6600GT heatsink mods)