What to expect desktop wise??

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What can we all expect for the up coming desktops this year with the new chips? Anyone have any predictions, thoughts, or any information? My MBP is going to be my desktop replacement until the pro series desktops come around, hopefully I can afford one.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Digital Disasta

What can we all expect for the up coming desktops this year with the new chips? Anyone have any predictions, thoughts, or any information? My MBP is going to be my desktop replacement until the pro series desktops come around, hopefully I can afford one.

If your planning on getting one of the brand new displays you should expect. Lighter, brighter, thinner displays with built in iSight, higher resolution, IR sensor and apple remote.....& computer wise maybe thinner/smaller case with with Core 2 Extreme processors and more ports e.g. Firewire 800 etc. or they could be on the displays
  • Reply 2 of 45
    lustlust Posts: 83member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

If your planning on getting one of the brand new displays you should expect. Lighter, brighter, thinner displays with built in iSight, higher resolution, IR sensor and apple remote.....& computer wise maybe thinner/smaller case with with Core 2 Extreme processors and more ports e.g. Firewire 800 etc. or they could be on the displays

Pure speculation. No actual facts.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lust

Pure speculation. No actual facts.

Not speculation as much as an educated guess. I'd bet money I'd be more right than wrong
  • Reply 4 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

I am going to guess - case redesign. Since the cheese grader was designed to keep the much hotter running G5 chips cool and the overall thing quiet. Since the Core Duo's run much cooler than the G5s I'd think a smaller form factor.
  • Reply 5 of 45
    I hope the new towers are smaller. The G5 towers are HUGE, I would like to see them more compact. As far as everything else, more ports would be nice, especially in the front! HD-DVD drive would be killer, but that's not going to happen at all. Please Steve just make the tower smaller!!
  • Reply 6 of 45
    pofopofo Posts: 14member
    Regardless which chip the new desktops will use, it will be much smaller and cooler than the G5 so the industrial cheese grater look can go and the case can be much smaller. I'm guessing this will give the design team a lot more creative options to come up with something better looking.

Quote:

more ports would be nice, especially in the front!

and not just looking like they were placed there as an afterthought either.

I'd like to see a couple more pci-e slots and more internal and external drive bays. I don't agree with steve jobs' view that most people would prefer attaching devices externally via USB/FW. I've seen articles on the net how people have had to hack their own custom solutions to have raid drives fit in such a large case. my old 8600 was great for that sort of thing and the new desktops should too.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    Will the CPU enveloping coolant technology go the way of the Oldsmobile? For the time being, at least.

It won't happen with the first line of new desktops, but don't rule out a BTO HD-DVD and Blu-Ray option in late 2006 or early 2007. People using the new HDV video cameras are eager to have an output solution.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sybaritic

Will the CPU enveloping coolant technology go the way of the Oldsmobile? For the time being, at least.

I wonder if its more trouble than its worth but it'd be nice to keep...and if they can get a stable OC from the Intel CPUs they can claim fastest production desktops...

Vinea
  • Reply 9 of 45
    What did oldsmobile do with there cooling system?

So you guys think that a BTO HD-DVD is possible? I know that Microsoft released the other day that they are in fact going to have a external HD-DVD drive connected via USB, but I don't know if this is going to go over well because the games won't benifit from it at all, solely movies from what I have read so far. It's going to be a interesting battle between Microsoft and Sony with the Blu-Ray drive.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    I hope we'll see 2 models of PowerMacs:

* One that uses the (slightly modified) current enclosure for:

- more HD spaces (4)

- more PCIe slots (6)

- Dual-dual configurations (Woodcrest CPUs)

- current PowerMac ports (or more)

- from $2499 to $3499

* One smaller (can be any shape: pizzabox, small-tower, pyramid, cube...):

- 2 internal HD spaces

- 2 PCIe slots (video + "your choice")

- dual-core (Conroe CPU)

- current PowerMac ports

- from $999 to $1999

Superdrive DL standard (of course) and BR-DVD as a BTO option as soon as available. Up to 2 optical drives on Woodcrest models.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I think the case will be totally different. We've had the G5 case for almost 3 years now. The new cases should be smaller, just as easy to get into, maybe more plastic like the mini, but still retaining aluminum in the design. And i really hope the design is a bit more organic looking, like the G4 case.

I imagine it'll have the premiere Intel workstation processor, dual slots/quad processor, latest chipset, blah blah. PCIe, FW800,tons of USB ports, dual Gb (maybe 10Gb!) ethernet, and I hope external serial ATA.

It'll retain the 2 HD and 1 optical drive limit.
  • Reply 12 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

I think the case will be totally different. We've had the G5 case for almost 3 years now. The new cases should be smaller, just as easy to get into, maybe more plastic like the mini, but still retaining aluminum in the design. And i really hope the design is a bit more organic looking, like the G4 case.

I imagine it'll have the premiere Intel workstation processor, dual slots/quad processor, latest chipset, blah blah. PCIe, FW800,tons of USB ports, dual Gb (maybe 10Gb!) ethernet, and I hope external serial ATA.

It'll retain the 2 HD and 1 optical drive limit.

I hope it weighs less and that the handlebars don't slice into your hands when picking it up.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    6 PCI Express slots is just too much. You still have finite motherboard bandwidth and adding too many cards doesn't make sense.

4 drive bays makes the case too large if we're talking 3.5" drives here. What I'd suggest is 3 drive bays which allow for internal RAID 5 or 2+ Terabytes of JBOD.

I'd like to see a GPU with HDMI or at least HDCP DVI ports for HD-DVD/Blu Ray support.

I'd love to see FW800/400 and eSATA outputs.

for the mobo I'd like to see

2 PCIe x16

1 PCIe x8

2 PCI x4

I'd like wireless/BT options on Mini-PCIe
  • Reply 14 of 45
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    I miss the fold-out design on the B&W-MDD series, excepf for the hard drive bays. I'd love to see a return to an enclosure that worked like that, with the newer-style drive bays from the G5.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    joepoppjoepopp Posts: 4member
    I know when the G5s came out a lot of us music production guys hated it because you could not rack mount it horizontally. Please Steve, make it less than 19" tall! I think marathon is out of business now anyway???

e sata would rule too!!!
  • Reply 16 of 45
    So you guys think Jobs is gonna let up upgrade the new Macs like PC's? I don't think that's gonna happen. I can't see jobs doing that.
  • Reply 17 of 45
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    I'm with mjteix - I think that Apple will deliver two form factors, a full size one for those that need the additional room inside and a smaller one for those that want to hide it behind their display.

Right now I have a 15" PB hidden behind a 23" display at work and would consider a PowerMac if the case was a reasonable size. Two hard drives would be nice, but I don't want a monster behind the display - except in the area of performance.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    Quote:

So you guys think Jobs is gonna let up upgrade the new Macs like PC's? I don't think that's gonna happen. I can't see jobs doing that.

Right, because he never has. Apple has never released anything called a "Power Mac."

• Reply 19 of 45
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gregmightdothat

Right, because he never has. Apple has never released anything called a "Power Mac."

Not upgradable to the same degree as most PCs.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    Quote:

The only thing non-upgradeable about the news power macs will be the Motherboard, and only because that is a proprietary part. Otherwise everything else should be standard. The mini's processor is already upgradable to anything pin compatible, and even the g4 powermacs had processor upgrade kits.