were a bit older than we think!

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Holy smoke, a discussion that makes us think! Just when I was giving up hope of finding an interesting topic. I hope you accept lots of personal opinions!

I think truly seeking God and truly seeking the mysteries of nature are much alike. When people formalize such endeavors they become religion and science, and both have their place in the world, and also their pitfalls. There place is as a depository for ideas and a record, or history, of our pursuits in these fields. Their major pitfall is when they take control, dictating what rules we must follow and what facts we must believe.

When we are seeking truth honestly and prepared to accept wherever it leads us, it matters not whether it is truth about God or nature, I think there is a good chance we will find it. We may also be surprised to find we come out in the same place by taking either path. For a creator God, who made us, also would have made nature and all that this universe holds.

The questions that interest me are why are we here and where did all this stuff come from? Just give me those answers and I?ll be satisfied, for a while. I?ve got my ideas about it, but always welcome more input.

My opinion of a religious pitfall is when dogmatic leaders tell church members what to believe and why. It result in beliefs like a creationism that rejects the obvious facts discovered about our origin, such as the big bang. A similar pitfalls in science is when one philosophical group imposes restriction on what is legitimate scientific inquire, and what is not. When people ascribe to religious and scientific censorships such as these, the truth suffers. I see a rise of dogma in both religion and science. Those at the extremes of each camp deserve each other, in my opinion.

I am sure others also think that seeking God and solving the mysteries of nature lead to the same place. We?re in good company too. Einstein is quoted as saying, "I want to know God's thoughts. The rest are details."
  • Reply 42 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by snoopy

For a creator God, who made us, also would have made nature and all that this universe holds.

Einstein is quoted as saying, "I want to know God's thoughts. The rest are details."

I'm Christian, and I somewhat agree.